Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering do most Uni's send out reading lists before the term starts or do you get them in your first week or something. It would be pretty stupid leaving it till then cus everyone will go to the lib and clear out on your subject ? :confused:

Surely it is easier to buy some that you want before hand so no probs when you get there? Then you have plenty of time to order some without getting completely screwed over at Uni branches of Waterstones!

( at B'ham Uni a copy of a tiny Franz Kafka book in german was £14 at my local bookshop and on the net £3.50! screwed over of what)

ReputationRep:
    Some send them out before some wait til you get there. Its often better to wait because some uni bookshops offer 10 or 20% discounts.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah good point. Dont we all love a nice bit o' discount. Big up Topshop and Dorothy P's eh!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get my booklist till i was actually there, and then it had 7 'course texts' on it - that doesn't include the recommended reading!

If i were you, instead of going to Waterstones, check out the books online - if you're spending £200-odd on your texts, try and find them cheaper, 10% off is a lot on that much money

ReputationRep:
    We didn't get a booklist for my course, there's only 1 book that we absolutely must have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    We didn't get a booklist for my course, there's only 1 book that we absolutely must have.
    Lucky! SOme guy i spoke to last week at Hull said he spent 65 quid on an admirality law book that he only needed a few chapters of. Haha.

Nylex - i know you are the authority on Bham Uni, could you be a darling and reply to the thread about its bad/good points?!!
    Thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Lucky! SOme guy i spoke to last week at Hull said he spent 65 quid on an admirality law book that he only needed a few chapters of. Haha.

Nylex - i know you are the authority on Bham Uni, could you be a darling and reply to the thread about its bad/good points?!!
    Thanks xxx
    That's not true, but alright, I'll reply to your thread . Oh btw, I know someone doing Law here too.. he has lots of books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    That's not true, but alright, I'll reply to your thread . Oh btw, I know someone doing Law here too.. he has lots of books.
    I already have 30+ law books all costing £20+ and they are mainly 2003 editions so you cant get them secondhand its a hard and expensive lif. lol
    For second hand uni books i recommend amazon marketplace.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.