University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Anthropology applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by anthropology

Original post by anthropology
Any news? I'm on a gap year - I faced my fate this summer and received an A* in English and three As in History, Politics and GS. Solid enough but everyone else applying will have the same or better. How about you?

They've just asked me to write an essay. I'm concerned to say the least - I don't have a day off work for the best part of a fortnight; I don't know where I'm going to find the time. Ha, I'm struggling already. Maybe it's not the place for me. Although, the essay itself doesn't seem too bad; as I understand it's effectively a critique of three essays. It seems more than a little arrogant; a pre-undergraduate attempting to criticise the work of people who know far, far more about the subject than I do. Well, good luck to everyone...

Oh my God! Those grades are amazing! I applied with AAB and have recieved the essay task. I'm freaking out, though, the task itself appears so vague. But, as you say, it is essentially a critique of three articles, but I have no idea in what sense they mean. Do I comment on the use of evidence, the effect that the research in the articles may have towards anthropological study, or perhaps even it's relevance? If you could give me some advice, I'd be very grateful!

I wish you the best of luck with your applications!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Mike Luke

What I did for the essay was explain my general opinion for each three articles I read, explaining my likes and dislikes. I quoted the articles to ground my response and to give precise examples of my reactions. I think this must have worked as I just received my conditional offer from UCL on Friday. I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 22
Original post by Marielle

Original post by Marielle
Mike Luke

What I did for the essay was explain my general opinion for each three articles I read, explaining my likes and dislikes. I quoted the articles to ground my response and to give precise examples of my reactions. I think this must have worked as I just received my conditional offer from UCL on Friday. I wish you the best of luck!

Congrats! What did they offer? Thank you for your advice!:smile: I'm roughly about half way through the essay now, it seems like forming an opinion is key!
Reply 23
hi guys did all of you guys get the questionnaire?
because i didn't, which is extremely worrying =(

straight up rejection here i come (Y)
Reply 24
I haven't received anything back either; haven't got a clue about any questionnaire that we're suppose to receive. Where did you hear about it? Now you got me all worried :biggrin:

That said, I'm pretty sure any kind of questionnaire would be sent once the whole application process has been completed (assuming that is what it's regarding), we can't pass judgement until we've experienced it in its entirety.

If I do receive anything I'll make sure to make a post about it,

Good Luck with your application And stay positive! :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by rhaldud
hi guys did all of you guys get the questionnaire?
because i didn't, which is extremely worrying =(

straight up rejection here i come (Y)

accidently negged you sorry!!!
i haven't had a questionnaire either, i don't think the anthropology dept give out questionnaires.. have you completed the essay?
Reply 26
Original post by flume
accidently negged you sorry!!!
i haven't had a questionnaire either, i don't think the anthropology dept give out questionnaires.. have you completed the essay?

sorry, but that's what i meant... i didn't get the essay! :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 27
Original post by rhaldud
sorry, but that's what i meant... i didn't get the essay! :frown::frown::frown:

Ohh right, did you apply for the straight L602 Anthropology course? When did you submit your application?
I'd email them and ask, you don't have anything to lose and they might have made a mistake! Contact details are here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/anthropology/studying/bsc_anthropology and I think the person to ask is Helen Cooper, she's who I emailed my essay to :smile: Good luck!
Reply 28
Original post by flume
Ohh right, did you apply for the straight L602 Anthropology course? When did you submit your application?
I'd email them and ask, you don't have anything to lose and they might have made a mistake! Contact details are here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/anthropology/studying/bsc_anthropology and I think the person to ask is Helen Cooper, she's who I emailed my essay to :smile: Good luck!

thanks! i just got their reply, and they didn't finish sending them out yet. apparently it'll be coming in the next few days! wheeeeeeee~
Reply 29
Original post by rhaldud
thanks! i just got their reply, and they didn't finish sending them out yet. apparently it'll be coming in the next few days! wheeeeeeee~

Ahh ok good!! That might mean I'll hear back soon then... scary stuff! Good luck! And if you need any help with the essay feel free to send me a message :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
I've seen that a few people have been asked to write essays, but I have not...
Is this something to worry about?
Reply 31
Original post by flume
I went to the UCL Anthropology open day and they said that most applicants were given the essay task, unless your predicted grades weren't high enough or your personal statement was of poor quality. Then they said that they weigh up the quality of the essay with the rest of your application - no idea if they interview though!
I haven't heard anything back yet - they mentioned that they were giving out replies in two gathered fields: one for applications sent before (I think it was around) 17th November, and one for applications sent up to the Jan 15th deadline. So I'm guessing I won't hear anything for a few weeks!
Hope that helps :smile:

Hello. I'm a bit concerned - I applied to UCL for both Anthropology and Human Sciences. I've been through the entire selection process for Human Sciences and have been given an offer (AAA), but for Anthropology, I've not heard anything! I've not been asked to write an essay. I don't get it! I will probably send an enquiry email, but in the meantime...
Reply 32
Original post by roboski
Hello. I'm a bit concerned - I applied to UCL for both Anthropology and Human Sciences. I've been through the entire selection process for Human Sciences and have been given an offer (AAA), but for Anthropology, I've not heard anything! I've not been asked to write an essay. I don't get it! I will probably send an enquiry email, but in the meantime...

Hi there :smile: rhaldud ^ hasn't heard from them either and emailed them about it, and they replied saying they haven't finished giving out the essay tasks yet. The best thing to probably do is to send them an email (you don't have anything to lose!), as the deadline for universities replying is relatively soon (March 31st)..
I sent them my essay on the 6th Feb and still haven't heard back!
good luck!
Reply 33
Thank you for the advice :smile:
Just as I was about to contact them half an hour ago, I got an e-mail! It asked me to confirm if I wanted to withdraw my application, as they hadn't heard back from me! I'm gutted because I'm positive they never sent me anything!! I said I really want to still be considered, so I hope it'll turn out OK in the end :s-smilie:
Reply 34
Offer today for AAA! :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by MikeLuke
Offer today for AAA! :biggrin:

Congratulations!! :biggrin: I had an AAB offer on Tuesday! Can't wait to go now!!
Reply 36
Original post by flume
Congratulations!! :biggrin: I had an AAB offer on Tuesday! Can't wait to go now!!

Congrats!:biggrin: Yeah I'm so excited! It was a little annoying that they asked for AAA though, because a lot of applicants for Anth I've spoken to have been offered AAB! Ah well, we'll see what happens.

Have you applied for the Anth with a Yr abroad? or straight Anth?
Reply 37
Original post by MikeLuke
Congrats!:biggrin: Yeah I'm so excited! It was a little annoying that they asked for AAA though, because a lot of applicants for Anth I've spoken to have been offered AAB! Ah well, we'll see what happens.

Have you applied for the Anth with a Yr abroad? or straight Anth?

They said it was dependent on how broad your subjects were, but I didn't do very diverse subjects so :s-smilie: But nonetheless an offer's an offer!
I've applied for straight anthropology, but I'm deferring a year so I'll see you all in 2013 :smile: What about you?
Reply 38
Original post by flume
They said it was dependent on how broad your subjects were, but I didn't do very diverse subjects so :s-smilie: But nonetheless an offer's an offer!
I've applied for straight anthropology, but I'm deferring a year so I'll see you all in 2013 :smile: What about you?

Neither are mine, ha ha! That's true!

Sounds good! Yeah I went for the Anth for a Yr Abroad, which will be exiciting!

See you in 2013! :biggrin:
Reply 39
Anyone know how lenient UCL's Anthropology department is for people who get slightly lower grades than their predicted grades? Would they still consider or decline? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending