Turn on thread page Beta

Hello

I recently started university, and suppose I just wanted to get this off my chest

I don't seem to have made many friends... I have met loads of people from both my halls and my course. The thing is I still seem to find myself alone and without anyone I can spend time with if you get my drift

For example when I went to dinner earlier, I walked with a person from my block and then waited with her while she was waiting for her best friend, we had dinner but then they just left when they had finished... When I went out in the evening last week I went to the toilet came back and everyone had just gone.

I understand that i'm not the most outgoing and that it will probably take a little while to make friends, however I am really trying to make an effort but it dosen't seem to be working

People will ask how are you, but that usually seems as good as it gets. I go out as much as the next man, but i'm never told where people are pre-drinking or where everyone is going out to... it seems as if I have to work it out for myself. No one tells me when they are going to breakfast or dinner, or asks if I want to come along. I just feel as if I went away for a weekend then no one would notice that I had gone.

Thanks for listening...

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, i was a bit like this when i first started uni. Just keep with it, you will find your friends eventually. Most people dont find their true friends until term 2 at least. Be careful not to try to too hard and appear desperate though as that can be a big turn off. Also dont go out drinking if you dont want too and its not you, you might meet people who are more like you in halls watching tv or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Why not try making plans yourself and inviting others?

e.g arrange to go out somewhere and ask some people if they wanna go?

ReputationRep:
    Join some societies and clubs, I'm sure you'll meet people with similar interests

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.