Turn on thread page Beta

Car with insurance just under £8000 watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i will hopefully pass my test on Wednesday and I am looking to buy and insure A car. I have 8000 to do this with, what car would you buy and why? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Get something like a citroen C1 in decent condition, should cost maybe £2000 if it's a few years old. Will end up costing £3000-4000 to insure depending on your location and things.

The leftover will rapidly get eaten up by petrol, maintanance and things...

I was going to get a car, but I worked out it would be significantly cheaper to just get taxis everywhere...

ReputationRep:
    8k, save it for a deposit on a house... After a year your car will be worth bugger all and you would have wasted the rest on petrol insurance and maintinance.

Unless you are rolling in it. Personally I would just spend less

ReputationRep:
    I got a nearly new toyota aygo for £5,800 and insured it for £700 no tax on it either!

Its really easy to drive, nice and small to park in tight spots, leather seats and aircon etc and it seems to go forever on a tank (i get about 450 miles to a £35 tank). Goes quite well for such a small engine and is a beast up steep hills (lots round me).

(Original post by nickbob00)

I was going to get a car, but I worked out it would be significantly cheaper to just get taxis everywhere...
    ...lol.

op buy a banger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    8k, save it for a deposit on a house... After a year your car will be worth bugger all and you would have wasted the rest on petrol insurance and maintinance.

Unless you are rolling in it. Personally I would just spend less
    This a million times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House1992)
    Hi, i will hopefully pass my test on Wednesday and I am looking to buy and insure A car. I have 8000 to do this with, what car would you buy and why? Thanks
    I got a Micra for around £1000, decent runner got the MOT done on Friday and it passed. The insurance would have been £2700 on my own, but did it with my older sister and it worked out at around £1200. Seriously if it's your first car just buy anything, you can upgrade later. This does not mean that you buy a banger for £300 that needs repairing all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Cheap car doesn't neccesarily = unreliable.

I've had many cars for less than £500 and none of them have let me down.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get something like C1, C2, Peugeot 107, 206, 207, Micra, Corsa that are a few years old - drive it for year to get the NCB then upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    S65 AMG

ReputationRep:
    Skoda Fabia for the win

ReputationRep:
    Passed 1st time 2 minors

ReputationRep:

This is insane! You can buy a car for a few hundred pounds an insure for about a grand

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at cars on ebay, theyre pobably infested with rats, but are MEGA CHEAP. Ive seen plenty of Mercedes A class at £2000, and you can insure them with Admiral fo £1200 if you get an adult listed as the main driver

WTF HOW DID THAT GET A NEG?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clez)
    This is insane! You can buy a car for a few hundred pounds an insure for about a grand
    Not if you're a 17 year old male in full/part time education who has held a full UK license for about a month...

Used car in insurance group 1 (cheapest cars to insure) will be at least £1000 to buy, since they're mostly fairly recent cars. Cheapest insurance quote on comparethemarket came to £3400. This is living in a fairly affluent low crime area (london commuter town), 3rd party fire and theft, garaged and with my mother as main driver.

If you've only got a provisional though, it's far cheaper since they assume you'll do less miles, and will drive very sensibly with a responsible adult making sure of that :P

ReputationRep:
    Not if you're a 17 year old male in full/part time education who has held a full UK license for about a month...

Used car in insurance group 1 (cheapest cars to insure) will be at least £1000 to buy, since they're mostly fairly recent cars. Cheapest insurance quote on comparethemarket came to £3400. This is living in a fairly affluent low crime area (london commuter town), 3rd party fire and theft, garaged and with my mother as main driver.

If you've only got a provisional though, it's far cheaper since they assume you'll do less miles, and will drive very sensibly with a responsible adult making sure of that :P
    ok well iv seen older cars around ten to fifteen years old for a couple of hundred quid. Quinns is the best for young person insurance. Education doesnt come into it. This is based on when i got a car/got insured when i was 19

ReputationRep:

3500 pounds pffft!, what would you say to me if i told you that its possible to insure a car for less then a grand while 17 that will just about outrun a ord Fiesta Zetec-s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House1992)
    for 8000 i can get you a brilliant relatively new second hand bmw and you can put a year's insurance on it comfortably with enough for petrol/tax etc
    with some left over probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam Walters)
    3500 pounds pffft!, what would you say to me if i told you that its possible to insure a car for less then a grand while 17 that will just about outrun a ord Fiesta Zetec-s?
    Share your secrets! I must be doing something seriously wrong!

I can get about £750 on a cheap car with a provisional license, but it goes way up when I say I have a full licence, presumably because they reckon I'll drive more and more recklessly.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't buy anything too new, if you're like most of the guys I know you'll want to change your car every six months or you'll crash it or scratch it so you won't get half your money back when you sell it on. Save your money for a rainy day. Get something for about £1000, there's plenty of choice out there whether you want a hatchback or a 4x4. Buy on condition and service history instead of what make and model it is, just make sure the insurance is acceptable first. Pay the insurance and keep the rest of your money to buy a much better car once your insurance has come down in a few years and you've got some No Claims under your belt.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.