Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    B400 - Open Air Cremation Bill 2011, Rt. Hon. thunder_chunky

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Provisions and Requirements
    Cremations in the open-air are legal if the following provisions are met

a) It is on private property
    i) This private property is no less that 600ft away from populated areas of 100 or more homes.
    ii) This private property is no less than 300ft away from any highway
    iii) This private property is no less than 500ft away from any water source, natural or artificial
    iv) The owner has a licence for open-air cremation ceremonies on their property

2. Licences

a) Licences for these properties will be given by the local authority department for funerary services
    i) These licences shall be known as Open-Air Funerary Licences or OFLs.
    ii) These licences shall cost the sum of £50 per year per 50sq foot of the property used for open-air cremation and associated processes
    iii) These licences shall be valid for 365 days from the date of purchase
    iv) Temporary licences will be available which will be valid for ten days
    v) Said temporary licenses will cost a sum of £20

3. Review

a) Officials of the local council
    i) Must have reviewed the area prior to its use as an open-air crematorium
    ii) Will review the area on an annual basis
    iii) Have the power to visit the site at any time if there is suspicion that these regulations are being broken, provided it is not during a cremation if at all possible

b) There must be a member of staff suitably trained in First Aid e.g. to the standard of SJA First Aid at Work qualification or equivalent.

c) The cremation area itself must be
    d) Must be on a brick surface, or other suitably non-flammable material
    e) No less than 30ft from buildings

f) The following officials have been notified
    i) Local government health & safety official
    ii) Town council of nearest populated area, if available
    iii) Local police
    iv) Local fire-crews

g) The cremation shall only be performed if conditions are such that all present are reasonably well-assured that the body shall be entirely destroyed by the flames
    i) Any items attached to the body such as dental fillings which might upon incinerating be considered enviromentally unfriendly are to be removed before hand.

4. Unauthorised open air cremations

(1) It shall be an offence under this section to cremate a person in the open air unless authorisation has been granted according to the provisions of section 1 of this Act.
    (2) A person who commits an offence under subsection 1 shall be liable, upon summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale"

Level 4 is currently £2,500. The standard scale allows for changes to fine levels without altering every Act of Parliament going. It's also unreasonable to fine property owners even if they had no knowledge of the offence, which is what the section in its original form would do.

3. Commencement, short title and extent

1) This Act may be cited as the Open-Air Cremation Act 2011

(2) This Act shall come into force at the end of the period of two months beginning with the day on which it is passed

(3) This Act extends to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, this bill has an appalling oversight: nowhere in this bill does it say what you are or are not allowed to cremate. Personally, while I'm quite happy for my wife to be fined every time she cremates the dinner without a licence, I'm pretty keen to ensure that any person a licensee wishes to cremate has died beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Mr Speaker, this bill has an appalling oversight: nowhere in this bill does it say what you are or are not allowed to cremate. Personally, while I'm quite happy for my wife to be fined every time she cremates the dinner without a licence, I'm pretty keen to ensure that any person a licensee wishes to cremate has died beforehand.
    :rofl:

To quote the late great Bob Monkhouse;

"I'm not saying my wife's a bad cook but she uses the smoke alarm as a timer."

Oh and welcome back and congratulations on getting married.

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring the distinct lack of detail on what exactly can be cremated, I would support this bill.

Out of interest, what would the ruling be on cremating pets? People do like to have 'pet funerals', and so it's not impossible that some (albeit eccentric pet lovers) may wish for lassie to be cremated. Would that be included in this bill or be separate?

Did this not get passed the last time? Or was it never submitted? :confused:

Anyway, there's a bit of odd formatting that irks me a bit, but it's still an aye from me. :yy:

I am against cremation due to religious reasons but I can be persuaded to vote in favour once "what can be cremated?" is cleared up (as Drogue asked basically).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Patriot)
    Ignoring the distinct lack of detail on what exactly can be cremated, I would support this bill.

Out of interest, what would the ruling be on cremating pets? People do like to have 'pet funerals', and so it's not impossible that some (albeit eccentric pet lovers) may wish for lassie to be cremated. Would that be included in this bill or be separate?
    Well I obviously means human but I guess it could apply to pets. I'm not sure how I'd write that in though.

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    Did this not get passed the last time? Or was it never submitted? :confused:

Anyway, there's a bit of odd formatting that irks me a bit, but it's still an aye from me. :yy:
    This was submitted in the last parliament session but it went into cessation and I forgot about it so it was withdrawn. If you can suggest better formatting please do say.

Strange Bill, but it's still an aye from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I am against cremation due to religious reasons but I can be persuaded to vote in favour once "what can be cremated?" is cleared up (as Drogue asked basically).
    Yes before the second reading I'll edit this to put in a preamble or something. I have an idea as to how to write it now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really keen on the idea of open-air cremation, and I'd definitely be prepared to vote in favour once the bill is clarified. I think that it'd be a really nice way to go, and the environmental impact would probably be minimal as open air cremations would be relatively sparse.

ReputationRep:
    The idea of having to pay the state to obtain permission to cremate outside turns me right off this Bill, and for that reason, No.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    So many new people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    So many new people
    I hope enough of the old crowd are around, because last time this was generally well recieved.

ReputationRep:
    Strange bill, but aye.

ReputationRep:
    So should I also add a part that explains the person(s) or thing(s) being cremated need to be dead?

You know....just in case....

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Well I obviously means human but I guess it could apply to pets. I'm not sure how I'd write that in though.

This was submitted in the last parliament session but it went into cessation and I forgot about it so it was withdrawn. If you can suggest better formatting please do say.
    Well, from what I can see:

1. Points (c), (d) and (e) should probably be one point with sub-points. As in:

c) The cremation area itself must be:
    (i) On a brick or other suitably non-flammable surface.
    (ii) At a distance of at lease 30ft from any buildings.
    2. Point (f) should probably be worded: 'The following officials must have been notified before any cremation ceremony' - or similar.

3. This one is a bit more minor - section 1 and 2 have (a)s with no (b)s (and so on) which looks very odd to me; similarly, 3. (g) has a (i) with no (ii). I'm not sure whether or not this is proper, but I was taught not to do this in school, so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    So should I also add a part that explains the person(s) or thing(s) being cremated need to be dead?

You know....just in case....
    To be honest, as official MRLP Spokesman for Absolutely Nothing, I'd quite like it to remain so I can apply for a licence to burn anyone we suspect of being a Tory witch. But I imagine it would be 'sensible' to specify what this relates to, if you go for that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to abstain as I don't really see the point in this bill, and we don't know what can be cremated and what can't.

ReputationRep:
    Can thunder_chunky give a short introduction to this Bill for those of us not expert in the current legislation and issues surrounding cremation. What are the rules currently? Why do they need to be changed? Why are your rules the right rules?

ReputationRep:
    I have no objections to this in principle, although I am a little dubious as to the practicalities of fires not reaching the right temperature, or blowing out, and the mourners being left with a half-melted relative. Of course, all cremations have the risk of being incomplete, but this method seems more prone to it.

Despite this, it seems an acceptable alternative to indoor cremation.

(On another point, is the acronym OFL a little inappropriate, especially if said out loud?)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.