Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been working night shifts at Sainbury's now and i hate it since i can't focus on my studies. I basically did a paid induction at 6.38 per hour for 14 hours and Worked two night shifts at 8 pounds for 20 hours.

If i discuss my problem with the HR department do i still get paid and can quit gracefully ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you should do, just don't quit and not discuss it with someone.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I use to work for Sainsbury's doing 2 10h nightshifts in my 2nd year in uni, it totally ****ed up my grades for that year and also I had to go to some exams right after a nightshift... Not to mention that the job is crap itself...

ReputationRep:
    well. concentrating on your studies is one thing, and making money is another.

if you quit , what are the consequences ? would you be able to live with your savings for the whole duration of your course, and after?

your health is a priority, but if you need the money then don't quit, although i strongly believe that you should maintain a timetable so that your studies are unaffected and that you sleep at proper times.

ReputationRep:
    My brother worked in Tesco, and he was supposed to give two weeks' notice. In fact he just walked out. They still paid him for the work he had done, but obviously he couldn't get a reference after doing that.

Given how little time you've been there, I don't think you have much to lose in reference terms by quitting. Talk to your boss first though, and find out if they would be willing to change your shifts - but because you're so new, I don't think that's gonna happen.

If you find yourself short of cash while you look for a better job, would your parents help?

davey x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.