why is it that... Watch

tate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
...clothes in bigger sizes are the same price as the same thing in a smaller size? a bigger size requires more material, so why isn't it more money? i just wondered...
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I guess the difference between profit margins is so small that they just don't bother? Either that or people would complain.

Some internet companies work by a size-basis and get away with it, as do many kid's companies, but there would be an outcry if Topshop suddenly made anything over a size 12 more expensive.
Niaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tate)
...clothes in bigger sizes are the same price as the same thing in a smaller size? a bigger size requires more material, so why isn't it more money? i just wondered...
yer and short skirts seem dearer
tate
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
I guess the difference between profit margins is so small that they just don't bother? Either that or people would complain.

Some internet companies work by a size-basis and get away with it, as do many kid's companies, but there would be an outcry if Topshop suddenly made anything over a size 12 more expensive.
yeah i so pose theres only 2 inches of fabric between say a size 12 and 14 so the extra fabric wouldnt cost that much. but theres quite a diffrence between a 8 and 18. if they did charge more for bigger sizes, do you think it would encourage people to lose weight?
pumpkin7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tate)
i don't know, but don't complain. you like the fact that they are the same, no?

i guess if you are a smaller size, like me, you would want something less expensive than a size 20 though i guess... hmm
lil one
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think people would properly complain, but I have seen it been done, especially on internet sites. I think generally those who had 2 buy larger clothes would be a bit angry because then they wouldn't be able to buy as much or as nicer clothes as a slimmer person.
Evil Phoenix
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tate)
Prob they calculate the cost of making a bigger one and charge the same for all, so really the question is "why isnt it less" for small sizes? or mayb its a small difference and they wont care :confused:
~Bex~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The clothes will generally be made in very large batches, meaning that the difference in cost is practically negligble. Big companies aren't going to try and cover this minute cost and ruin their name. Also, if they did this, to be fair they would have to do the same with things like shoes, and that would be very unfair because people can't control their shoe size.
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tate)
The thing is that the cost of material for high street clothes isn't that high, so a little bit extra being used for larger sizes won't impact on profits. I reckon they calculate the 'average' cost according to the mean and quantity of all the sizes they make, so it works out evenish. However, when I go to get stuff tailored, then the obviously will charge for the amount of material used, etc if I'm buying nice material, as they're creating an individual item.
Fyska
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've seen it done on Internet hoodies and stuff, never in store. Maybe larger people would complain about equal rights or some similar stuff
Stikatoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It would be 'discrimination' if they did that.
girl afraid
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tate)
That's unfair and discriminating.
Bluelight
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You dont often pay for the material used anyway most of what you're paying is the brand. Plus fat people have to pay for two seats on an aeroplane, can you imagine that on buisness class return, its so harsh on them
Erana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Internet stores usually charge a couple quid extra for XXL and up sizes.

(Original post by tate)
if they did charge more for bigger sizes, do you think it would encourage people to lose weight?
No, it would just encourage depression by making more obvious to them the fact/inference that they are bigger, and hence inferior (respectively), to skinny people. It's bad/depressing enough having to buy a size 18 to begin with, I should imagine, without finding it's £5 more than a size 12.

(Original post by Bluelight)
Plus fat people have to pay for two seats on an aeroplane, can you imagine that on buisness class return, its so harsh on them
What the hell? Business class seats are so much roomier, and they usually aren't right next to each other. The only reason they have to pay extra in economy is because of the fitting into seats issue! Why else would they have to get two seats?
Jingaling
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It does often happen with childrens wear, as it does where I work, but with ladies and mens clothing, it's a small cost. Most companies mass produce, so it's not too much of a problem.

Also I don't think it would be fair, there would be some action taken I suppose. I've gotten complaints from customers because our sizes go up to a maximum of size 24 and they feel it's not enough. If there were different prices there would be a divide and not a pleasant one, as plus size women would feel inadequate to smaller sized women etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads