Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have posted a long and detailed rant about NUS in the Durham Subforum, as people were asking about it.

I am not going to re-post it here, as for a start it contains many durham specific references, but the link is here http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....2&postcount=40

Basically, NUS is no-longer value for money. It is not listened to by politicians, spends too much time training new politicians, and debating issues that, while important are not related to students.

(Original post by dave134)
    I have posted a long and detailed rant about NUS in the Durham Subforum, as people were asking about it.

I am not going to re-post it here, as for a start it contains many durham specific references, but the link is here http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....2&postcount=40

Basically, NUS is no-longer value for money. It is not listened to by politicians, spends too much time training new politicians, and debating issues that, while important are not related to students.
    I agree almost entirley with your post in the Durham forum and I for one am thankful to *hopefully* be attending a disaffiliated university. I think that the NUS should consider refounding itself as a group which concentrates on what is actully important to students as opposed to being the self-serving, psudo-political organisation that it has become.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I agree almost entirley with your post in the Durham forum and I for one am thankful to *hopefully* be attending a disaffiliated university. I think that the NUS should consider refounding itself as a group which concentrates on what is actully important to students as opposed to being the self-serving, psudo-political organisation that it has become.
    Ah, excellent. Years of anger went into that post.

I am just surprised nobody has defended them yet. If this is any indication of their support they really are doomed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    The most common defence (and the one *actually* used by Mandy Telford...she was getting a bit frazzled by this point) is "but - it's the NUS!". :rolleyes:
    Ooh dear.

Right then, devils advocate time!!

• Reform from within rather than turn your back on a fine organisation
    • NUS Discounts
    • National Representation
    • Any of the above but with subtle undertones of "But if I don't get the chance to be on the NEC, I'll never get a parliamentary seat!"

The most common defence (and the one *actually* used by Mandy Telford...she was getting a bit frazzled by this point) is "but - it's the NUS!". :rolleyes:
    Clearly she does think that everyone in education is a complete moron. You would think that she would put together more of a cogent argument given the fact she is supposed to be intelligent. Although I would expect that spouting this kind of ill-concieved crap would prepare her well for politics.

Ooh dear.

Right then, devils advocate time!!

• Reform from within rather than turn your back on a fine organisation
    • NUS Discounts
    • National Representation
    • Any of the above but with subtle undertones of "But if I don't get the chance to be on the NEC, I'll never get a parliamentary seat!"
    Arguments easier to shoot down than a paper plane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Which uns are not part of the NUS? Anyone got a link with a list? I heard bristol recently voted to not be part of them....
    Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    members from teh NUS used fairly dirty tactics to make sure they won the referendum.
    Such as? Shame they're still in really, since I'll be hopefully going to Bristol, and after reading all the above comments, I'd much rather they were out of the NUS. Student politics is a joke anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Since I've been at Essex, I haven't used the Students' Union for anything. It seems like such a useless organisation. The only thing they seem to do is elect each other, stick leaflets in your face and hijack lectures. Also, I don't think I'd feel comfortable talking to other students about my problems. I'd rather talk to a member of staff or some older person who is properly trained. As for the NUS card, that's totally useless. I checked the discounts it gives and there is nothing really I could it for. It doesn't even give me discount bus fares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Such as? Shame they're still in really, since I'll be hopefully going to Bristol, and after reading all the above comments, I'd much rather they were out of the NUS. Student politics is a joke anyway.
    While not a specific example, referunda suffer from being effectively unpoliceable
    With an election, if a candidate breaks the rules then they are disqualified.

With a referundum you can't really disqualify an option.

"Should we leave NUS? By the way, your only choice is YES, as the NO campaign got disqualified for breach of electoral regulation A.10.(b)", may be seen as undemocratic!

ReputationRep:
    While not a specific example, referunda suffer from being effectively unpoliceable
    With an election, if a candidate breaks the rules then they are disqualified.

With a referundum you can't really disqualify an option.

"Should we leave NUS? By the way, your only choice is YES, as the NO campaign got disqualified for breach of electoral regulation A.10.(b)", may be seen as undemocratic!
    That sounds like modern democracy to me.

ReputationRep:

slightly off topic

I was accosted outside the refrectory by a group of people asking me to vote for various SU posts.

One said "vote for X, she's the first female to stand for this post"

I said "yes but does that mean she's any good? what are her views? What does she want to do?"

reply "she's the first female to stand for this"

I voted for the other candidate who'd printed out a flyer with a list of things he wanted to achieve, but I wonder how many votes X got because "she's the first female" ?

She'll probably end up as president of the NUS.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks viviki

Imperial Union doesn't seem to be part of the NUS, but the UoL union is, does that mean that someone at Imperial could still get an NUS card?

Nope. You can't.

NUS cards are shite anyway! Most places that offer a discount upon producing a valid NUS card will honour your University Card.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton isn't (and all the better for it )

Don't worry about getting an NUS card - ISIC cards are the same price and are jsut as well recognised (plus they're recognised abroad too) http://www.isiccard.co.uk

Companies aren't allowed to offer discounts *only* to NUS holders - they're either student discounts (and open to anyone with proof that they're a student - like a uni card or an ISIC card) or they're illegal

Quite a few Oxbridge Colleges aren't either - and again, all the better for it! More money to spend on their own facilities, rather than having to pay £6 a head to the NUS, and for what???

ReputationRep:
    I know Oreil at Oxford isn't a member, not sure what others aren't.
    Form reading this, the NUS seems to be a wate of money, with one of its main aims to enhance the CVs of its executive branch.
    What does it do for the ordinary member?
    Protests etc. aren't my cup of tea, top up fees are here inspite of the NUS.
    I wonder of they provide legal services in landord/tenacy disputes, or services in a dispute with your university - like a propper trade union. If they do not do this, then they are a waste of time. I can see why people in jobs need unions, but as a student?

ReputationRep:
    Southampton isn't (and all the better for it )

Don't worry about getting an NUS card - ISIC cards are the same price and are jsut as well recognised (plus they're recognised abroad too) http://www.isiccard.co.uk

Companies aren't allowed to offer discounts *only* to NUS holders - they're either student discounts (and open to anyone with proof that they're a student - like a uni card or an ISIC card) or they're illegal
    but PQ i thought warner brothers cinema ONLY accepted NUS cards...at least thats what they told me last year!

From the warner cinema FAQ:

What ID will I need to qualify for a student discount?
    We accept NUS or ISIC cards; or at the manager's discretion a university/college card which contains a photo.

http://www.myvue.com/
    Dont you just hate that new nihilist name they have - "vue" - phheeeeh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    I wonder of they provide legal services in landord/tenacy disputes, or services in a dispute with your university - like a propper trade union. If they do not do this, then they are a waste of time. I can see why people in jobs need unions, but as a student?
    Such services are provided by your local Student Union or JCR. NUS has nothing to do with them. The landlord/tenant stuff is often bundled with finding you somewhere in the first place. There will also be somebody who has indepth knowledge of the unis own rules and regs and can help you to formulate an academic appeal etc.

Such services could not easily be handled by NUS anyway, as different Unis have different rules and regs. Someone who knows exactly what the Uni needs to do in order to boot you out of Durham, may miss something when considering if say Sheffield followed its own rules to the letter.

NUS do offer training for sabbatical officers (at an additional cost), but many unions prefer to overlap the terms of office and have the outgoing sabbatical train their succesor.

ReputationRep:
    but PQ i thought warner brothers cinema ONLY accepted NUS cards...at least thats what they told me last year!
    They lied! I haven't had an NUS card for a few years now, and they (Warner and Vue) have always taken my university ID.

ReputationRep:
    ...the odeon website deserves an award for general rubbishness
    Reminds me of this from a few weeks back.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.