Which uni's are not part of th NUS? Watch

This discussion is closed.
InterCity125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dave134)
Such services are provided by your local Student Union or JCR. NUS has nothing to do with them. The landlord/tenant stuff is often bundled with finding you somewhere in the first place. There will also be somebody who has indepth knowledge of the unis own rules and regs and can help you to formulate an academic appeal etc.

Such services could not easily be handled by NUS anyway, as different Unis have different rules and regs. Someone who knows exactly what the Uni needs to do in order to boot you out of Durham, may miss something when considering if say Sheffield followed its own rules to the letter.

NUS do offer training for sabbatical officers (at an additional cost), but many unions prefer to overlap the terms of office and have the outgoing sabbatical train their succesor.
Thank-you Dave. So the NUS does not provide legal services or represent its members to an 'employer' - what then is its function. The training will only serve to enhance the CVs of the trainees - what good does it do the members then?
I can see the need for trade unions - say as a railwayman or Doctor etc. but what services DO the NUS provide then?
Chrism
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
wonderful...if the link between the NUS and party politics/in fighting could be broken there would be hope for the NUS afterall....
That will never ever happen, much though I too would like it to happen.
dave134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by InterCity125)
Thank-you Dave. So the NUS does not provide legal services or represent its members to an 'employer' - what then is its function. The training will only serve to enhance the CVs of the trainees - what good does it do the members then?
I can see the need for trade unions - say as a railwayman or Doctor etc. but what services DO the NUS provide then?
Political representation and NUSSL are about all it has left to fall back on now.

In theory NUS is who the media should turn to whenever there is an issue facing students. In theory there should be NEC members with good debating skills, facing politicians for a debate on Newsnight.

When Jack Straws son was president of Oxford University Student Union, he got more media coverage than any NUS officer could have dreamt of. That showed, in my opinion what the media thought of NUS. At first it was simply a gimmick, having a politicians son debating against his fathers cabinet colleagues, but it was always Will Straw, and never really NUS. This year, when in theory NUS should have been all in full swing over the Higher Education Act, Conference was tied up with an argument between the far left (SWSS/AWL/CFE etc) and the UJS over Iraq, Palestine, etc. When the bill hit the lords, NUS made no attempt to lobby the peers, as they were fighting each other, and their own blackhole system of financial management.

NUSSL can be cheaper for some things, but as PQ pointed out they are a business, and aim to attract such deals as she highlighted. A good friend of mine sat on the Retail Trade committee of NUSSL, which are the lot responsible for the wonderful Ginsters deal you will all shortly be meeting. He could only marvel at the free beer, and food, and hotel room, and transport, for one 3 hour meeting, all at students expense.
InterCity125
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Political representation and NUSSL are about all it has left to fall back on now.

In theory NUS is who the media should turn to whenever there is an issue facing students. In theory there should be NEC members with good debating skills, facing politicians for a debate on Newsnight.

When Jack Straws son was president of Oxford University Student Union, he got more media coverage than any NUS officer could have dreamt of. That showed, in my opinion what the media thought of NUS. At first it was simply a gimmick, having a politicians son debating against his fathers cabinet colleagues, but it was always Will Straw, and never really NUS. This year, when in theory NUS should have been all in full swing over the Higher Education Act, Conference was tied up with an argument between the far left (SWSS/AWL/CFE etc) and the UJS over Iraq, Palestine, etc. When the bill hit the lords, NUS made no attempt to lobby the peers, as they were fighting each other, and their own blackhole system of financial management.

NUSSL can be cheaper for some things, but as PQ pointed out they are a business, and aim to attract such deals as she highlighted. A good friend of mine sat on the Retail Trade committee of NUSSL, which are the lot responsible for the wonderful Ginsters deal you will all shortly be meeting. He could only marvel at the free beer, and food, and hotel room, and transport, for one 3 hour meeting, all at students expense.
Was it first class transport - make it the full works.
So all that money is paid for access to a shop. Very good indeed. I quite agree with your comments about Straw and the NUS. With a real union it is not the leader that matters, but the union. We don't care that it is Bob Crow on the news - we care as it is the RMT.
Untill they provide good services and not a way to get junkets for committee members - I've had a few of these myself thanks to other organisations, I see it as serving no useful function at all.
dave134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So all that money is paid for access to a shop.
That was the reason that the last time people started muttering about NUS Durham didn't do anything about it. The NUS Treasurer cut our affiliation fee in half, making the savings we gained through NUSSL greater than what we were paying NUS in affiliation.

Now that NUS is seen by many for what it has become, I will be putting motions to the Durham Students Union Council, requesting that we start to look at alternatives to NUSSL again. I am sure that there is the option of moving away from NUSSL, after all as others with higher affiliation fees move away, NUSSL prices will invariably rise, causing a downward spiral for NUS(SL)
InterCity125
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That was the reason that the last time people started muttering about NUS Durham didn't do anything about it. The NUS Treasurer cut our affiliation fee in half, making the savings we gained through NUSSL greater than what we were paying NUS in affiliation.

Now that NUS is seen by many for what it has become, I will be putting motions to the Durham Students Union Council, requesting that we start to look at alternatives to NUSSL again. I am sure that there is the option of moving away from NUSSL, after all as others with higher affiliation fees move away, NUSSL prices will invariably rise, causing a downward spiral for NUS(SL)
I don't think they make a good impression on the 'click here if you are a student' page. They gave you chep beer and pens - great value for money. If it stationary you want, why not get a job in the holidays and borrow it from the firm
Seriously, if thats it then it really is a waste of money, unless you get a deal like Durham. Perhaps individual unons could negociate deal with suppliers on a local basis?
dave134
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think they make a good impression on the 'click here if you are a student' page. They gave you chep beer and pens - great value for money. If it stationary you want, why not get a job in the holidays and borrow it from the firm
Seriously, if thats it then it really is a waste of money, unless you get a deal like Durham. Perhaps individual unons could negociate deal with suppliers on a local basis?
NUSSL is cheap, because it has great buying power. Companies are willing to sell at a discount to NUSSL, as it gets their products into a vast number of student unions. NUSSL exploits this.

What is changing now, is that NUSSL have competition. The group Durham looked at was http://www.tuco.org which stands for The University Caterers Organisation. Student Unions pretty much need to be in purchasing consortiums like these, as the prices are vastly cheaper than the SU could negotiate directly. While NUSSL had a near-monopoly, it was not financially viable for unions to disaffiliate.

To give an idea of the problems with NUSSL, at Durham all stationay in the shop had to be purchased through NUSSL, but stationary for our own internal use did not. We bought internal stationary cheaper through a catalogue, than we could buy wholesale from NUSSL. This also meant that we had to order pens in etc, and couldn't just take them from the shop.
DenverDiva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Several student unions/assosiations have formed buying consortia which offer substantial discounts to members without the need to affiliate to the NUS.

For more info see
http://www.northernservices.org.uk/index.html (mostly Scottish but also ICL)
http://neupg.procureweb.ac.uk/ (NE HEIs)
http://supc.procureweb.ac.uk/home.jsp (Southern unis)

There are others but these are the main non-NUS options.

I attended a non-NUS uni and never had any problems obtaining student discounts.
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
From the warner cinema FAQ:

What ID will I need to qualify for a student discount?
We accept NUS or ISIC cards; or at the manager's discretion a university/college card which contains a photo.

http://www.myvue.com/
ah ok thanks PQ
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1620)
79.14%
Leave (427)
20.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise