The Student Room Group

Fainting and a fit, normal?

I'm a bit embarassed about this, but I am curious so I thought I'd ask.

Just realised, its really long, so just read the bits in bold if you want the shorter version.

First things first, I have NEVER been scared of needles or having blood tests or anything. Apparently when I was young and had pre-school injections, I didn't even flinch, and at my last blood test I was watching because I was curious.

However, I recently had a blood test, immediately followed by a vaccination (probably 2 minutes afterwards) and then a few minutes after that, I just came over really dizzy, passed out, and apparently 'had a little fit'. During this time I did wet myself, which was incredibly embarassing. Now the nurse didn't seem to think much of it (except she said that when I had the next injection they'd do it at the hospital, in case it happened again)

At the time I was a bit too disorientated and nervous about what had ahppened to actually query it and say, you know, is that normal. Tbh, I was so like 'I want to go home' that I didn't even ask how long I was out for. I just knew that I'd fainted, had a 'little fit', wet myself, and my neck was killing me, because she said that I'd thrown it back at a bit of an awkward angle while I was out. It was like a roaring in my head, like a nightmare I couldn't wake up from. And when I woke up, I had no idea where I was, and was a little bit panicked to be honest. Particularly because the nurse was asking me all sorts of questions about passing out at injections and if I had a history of epilepsy...

Is that a normal thing to happen? I know passing out is quite common, but is that kind of fit normal? I'm honestly pretty scared about my next injection now, just because it was a pretty horrible experience, and I'm taking my mum to hold my hand haha.

Thankyou if you read that - I'm just curious. I know I should call up and ask really, but I know TSr can probably tell me if thats all normal haha.
I don't think so. But if it was a MAJOR cause for concern you'd wonder why the trained medical people didn't mention the oddity to you. If they're not worried, you shouldn't be?
Reply 2
It certainly sounds like something that should be looked at.
Reply 3
The fainting part is not that uncommon (last time I passed out was 5 minutes after getting a vaccination, never happened to me before though!) but the fit probably is.
Reply 4
Personally, i'd get a professional second opinion - it's better to be safe than sorry!

Overall though, i know its nothing abnormal for peoples bodies to react in what seems like strange ways when it believes it is being attacked. So perhapse it was just a bad reaction.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a bit embarassed about this, but I am curious so I thought I'd ask.

Just realised, its really long, so just read the bits in bold if you want the shorter version.

First things first, I have NEVER been scared of needles or having blood tests or anything. Apparently when I was young and had pre-school injections, I didn't even flinch, and at my last blood test I was watching because I was curious.

However, I recently had a blood test, immediately followed by a vaccination (probably 2 minutes afterwards) and then a few minutes after that, I just came over really dizzy, passed out, and apparently 'had a little fit'. During this time I did wet myself, which was incredibly embarassing. Now the nurse didn't seem to think much of it (except she said that when I had the next injection they'd do it at the hospital, in case it happened again)

At the time I was a bit too disorientated and nervous about what had ahppened to actually query it and say, you know, is that normal. Tbh, I was so like 'I want to go home' that I didn't even ask how long I was out for. I just knew that I'd fainted, had a 'little fit', wet myself, and my neck was killing me, because she said that I'd thrown it back at a bit of an awkward angle while I was out. It was like a roaring in my head, like a nightmare I couldn't wake up from. And when I woke up, I had no idea where I was, and was a little bit panicked to be honest. Particularly because the nurse was asking me all sorts of questions about passing out at injections and if I had a history of epilepsy...

Is that a normal thing to happen? I know passing out is quite common, but is that kind of fit normal? I'm honestly pretty scared about my next injection now, just because it was a pretty horrible experience, and I'm taking my mum to hold my hand haha.

Thankyou if you read that - I'm just curious. I know I should call up and ask really, but I know TSr can probably tell me if thats all normal haha.

That used to happen to me when I was little, don't worry I know it is really scary because you think its going to happen again. I got told its anxiety. Every time I get needles I do tend to get anxious but it just happens sometimes, however it hasn't happened to me in years.

Just don't look at the needles haha! :smile: I hope it doesn't happen to you again ): I know how it feels, even happened to me in school once aha.
I'd see your GP pronto. Wetting yourself, waking up awkwardly with confusion and jolting whilst under (as I assume you'd have done, considering the nurse reffered to it as a fit) is *not* normal, and is something that you really need to get checked out.

Don't worry about being wet by the way - my mum does that when she takes seizures and medical people honestly aren't bothered at all!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Have absolutely no information to add to this thread apart from- this happened to me and I'd completely forgotten about it til now.

Didn't wee myself fortunately, but experience sounds almost identical to yours. If it makes you feel any better this hasn't happened to me since, and I've had loads of blood tests in the last couple of years. Maybe it's just a rare reaction to venipuncture?

Well I'm interested now, let me know if you discover anything! As other people have said, go to the GP, just mention it, they might refer you to neuro for a bit of a check up. I completlely ignored it when it happend to me but that's because I'm ridiculous in regards to my own health.
Reply 8
definitely sounds like a bona fide fit. fits sometimes happen when someone faints and stays sitting up - when you fainted the nurse should have slid you onto the floor to prevent it. Definitely see your GP to discuss what happened.
Reply 9
Original post by silverspoonmess
I don't think so. But if it was a MAJOR cause for concern you'd wonder why the trained medical people didn't mention the oddity to you. If they're not worried, you shouldn't be?

Well thats what I thought - and initially, I didn't really have any qualms about it, but the more I think about it, the more I think that I should probably have at least had some sort of test afterwards? I dunno, and besides, I don't know how medically trained she was - it was the woman at occupational health. So whether she was just trained for injections and blood tests I don't know...

Original post by Alanine
Have absolutely no information to add to this thread apart from- this happened to me and I'd completely forgotten about it til now.

Didn't wee myself fortunately, but experience sounds almost identical to yours. If it makes you feel any better this hasn't happened to me since, and I've had loads of blood tests in the last couple of years. Maybe it's just a rare reaction to venipuncture?

Well I'm interested now, let me know if you discover anything! As other people have said, go to the GP, just mention it, they might refer you to neuro for a bit of a check up. I completlely ignored it when it happend to me but that's because I'm ridiculous in regards to my own health.

Thanks, good to know :smile:

Original post by jimbo139
definitely sounds like a bona fide fit. fits sometimes happen when someone faints and stays sitting up - when you fainted the nurse should have slid you onto the floor to prevent it. Definitely see your GP to discuss what happened.

Well she tilted the chair back when I was out, and when I felt dizzy I leaned back in the chair, so I wasn't completely sat up. But its interesting to know that that could be the reason.
I have also fainted and 'fitted' after injections. The nurse told me the fit wasn't really a fit, just a slight reaction. I have had blood tests since and have been fine. Every time I have to have some sort of needle inserted, I just ask to lie down and chill out for 5mins after its finished. I have had no problems since. Like others have said, maybe have a chat to your GP about it though :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Well thats what I thought - and initially, I didn't really have any qualms about it, but the more I think about it, the more I think that I should probably have at least had some sort of test afterwards? I dunno, and besides, I don't know how medically trained she was - it was the woman at occupational health. So whether she was just trained for injections and blood tests I don't know...

Well she tilted the chair back when I was out, and when I felt dizzy I leaned back in the chair, so I wasn't completely sat up. But its interesting to know that that could be the reason.

I'm not sure if she'll have had a lot of training (although I'd imagine so?) but I'd try and get a report from her as to what happened - they should keep an accident form - and take that to your GP asap, just to get everything checked out. Better safe than sorry and all that.
Reply 12
Look into it OP. The part about the fit sounds wrong to me.
"definitely sounds like a bona fide fit. fits sometimes happen when someone faints and stays sitting up - when you fainted the nurse should have slid you onto the floor to prevent it"

OK OP, heres the reality for you.

You had a form of collapse called vasovagal. Basically your blood pressure dropped, in response to the injection/blood test.

With your blood pressure low not enough blood goes to the brain. THis is why you 'faint'.
Its also why you then have some shaking, and on rarer occasions tongue biting and urinary incontinence. Its NOT unusual. It does NOT need investigating. It is NOT epilepsy.
I'm guessing after the shaking you woke up thinking 'where the hell am I' but quickly came to your senses.

DON'T WORRY!!! [but next time you have blood tests/injections do it on a couch]
Reply 14
Original post by Jamie
"definitely sounds like a bona fide fit. fits sometimes happen when someone faints and stays sitting up - when you fainted the nurse should have slid you onto the floor to prevent it"

OK OP, heres the reality for you.

You had a form of collapse called vasovagal. Basically your blood pressure dropped, in response to the injection/blood test.

With your blood pressure low not enough blood goes to the brain. THis is why you 'faint'.
Its also why you then have some shaking, and on rarer occasions tongue biting and urinary incontinence. Its NOT unusual. It does NOT need investigating. It is NOT epilepsy.
I'm guessing after the shaking you woke up thinking 'where the hell am I' but quickly came to your senses.

DON'T WORRY!!! [but next time you have blood tests/injections do it on a couch]

As you say, the fact that the event occurred just after phlebotomy and a vaccination mean that a vasovagal is quite probable. This doesn't mean that the OP didn't have a seizure!

Vasovagals can cause anoxic seizures, suggested in this case by the fact that the OP was incontinent of urine and disorientated after their LoC.

It's perfectly possible to have a genuine seizure without being deemed epileptic, and indeed anyone will have a seizure if you derange their metabolism sufficiently (e.g. severe hyponatraemia, or cerebral hypoxia in this case).

Latest