Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who's doing either/both of these this year?

I'm hoping to do one, but I'm not sure which to go for. I'm not going to do STEP III, but I might do STEP I or II....or AEA lol ... not really sure which one to go for but apparently college need a decision made by Monday....

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of doing aea. The deadlines for entrys for the summer 06 session aren't until middle of March - a couple of days after the results of the january session are released.

ReputationRep:
    We have to have decided by Monday? Darn... I may have entered for STEP I and perhaps STEP II if I could have done so closer to the exams, since my confidence with STEP papers isn't too high at the moment (haven't done all the work required for any STEP exams yet)...

ReputationRep:
    STEP I this summer. too early to say anything about it yet, I imagine coming up to exam time every maths lesson will be in preparation for STEP though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewwy)
    STEP I this summer. too early to say anything about it yet, I imagine coming up to exam time every maths lesson will be in preparation for STEP though...
    Are you in the lower sixth or upper sixth, Chewwy?

ReputationRep:
    lower.

ReputationRep:
    Are these dates correct?:
    STEP I / STEP III- 28th June
    STEP II- 30th June

ReputationRep:
    yeah. those dates are correct. im doing STEP II and III. :eek: need 1,2 respectively.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if it's a general rule about we need to have decided by monday....but apparently the maths teacher at my college whos in charge of all this STEP and AEA stuff wants to know what we want to do by monday - probably so we can start some preparation for it. I think there's only a few of us doing it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by distortedgav)
    I dunno if it's a general rule about we need to have decided by monday....but apparently the maths teacher at my college whos in charge of all this STEP and AEA stuff wants to know what we want to do by monday - probably so we can start some preparation for it. I think there's only a few of us doing it though.
    the deadline for exams youre going to take this june is on monday i think. my college also wants module entries for monday.

ReputationRep:
    o_O Deadline can not possibly be before January results. My maths teacher already knows I am planning to sit STEP II and III - exams should certainly be fun!

ReputationRep:
    AEA for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    o_O Deadline can not possibly be before January results. My maths teacher already knows I am planning to sit STEP II and III - exams should certainly be fun!
    the monday deadline is for modules that you know you are going to take in june. there's a later deadline (march 13) after the results for modules that youve taken this january and want to retake.

ReputationRep:
    O_o will enquire tomorrow, but I had a chat with my maths teacher earlier, she surely would have brought it up if it was urgent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    O_o will enquire tomorrow, but I had a chat with my maths teacher earlier, she surely would have brought it up if it was urgent
    tis a good idea

ReputationRep:
    how do you know if your good enough to do STEP? In lower 6th form and have done C1, S1 and D1 and I am doing further maths. I looked at STEPII paper and I was like WTF! I attempted it and got a stupid answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S. Tham)
    how do you know if your good enough to do STEP? In lower 6th form and have done C1, S1 and D1 and I am doing further maths. I looked at STEPII paper and I was like WTF! I attempted it and got a stupid answer!
    one way is you get told to do it by cambridge.
    STEP II involves the hardest A level maths concepts (its supposed to anyway). AFAIK STEP is normally intended for candidates in U6th. don't worry about it just yet!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be entering for STEP II and III. Why? I don't know. Probably something to do with Cambridge being sadists. I asked my maths teacher, who is also the exams officer, to enter me for STEP, and was told it was too early for that, and that entries aren't made until March. It seems that isn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm. unless my school are just doing a bit of scare-mongering. :rolleyes:
    ocr page is a bit dodgy considering results are on 9 march and theyve got 16 march on that link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    STEP II involves the hardest A level maths concepts (its supposed to anyway)
    Does that go to say STEP III contains less difficult maths conceptually than STEP II? (Even though it tests 'harder' parts of maths).
    I always thought it was STEP I easier, STEP II/III harder
    STEP I/II maths, STEP III f/maths

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2006

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.