Breathalyzer Test At Work... Watch

Dave_G03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ok at the start of the year the company i work for introduced an new drugs and alcohol policy, basically if they suspect your high, hungover or drunk they will take a breath or urine sample.

Now earlier i had a conversation with my manager in which i told him i was going out tommorow (like a stupid arse that i am) and i wouldnt be able to come into work at 11:30 in stead 1:30pm. He said he would rota me in ad then said you are aware of the new drugs and alcohol policy arnt you.

Now i may end up getting drunk tommorow (highly likely)

The alcohol allowance is the same as the legal limit. As of yet no other member of staff has been tested, i fear he may make an example of me...

Basically im asking you lot if you rekon i will be below the legal limit by 1:30pm, say if i stop drinkin at 12:30-1 am?

Ta,
Dave
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No way, not in a million years. If you have a fair ammount of beer it will still be in your blood stream the next day, rendering you unable to drive. I don't understand how they can breathalise you at work they arnt the police or anything.
Leigh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They employ you to come to work in a fit state to do what you are paid for?
That makes sense and applies to all jobs, but you never know, he may be a machinist, or a sculpture or something? Neither of which you would be able to work at 100% capacity while under the influence. (He probably isn't but the principle is the same).

As for passing the test, I have no idea how long alcohol takes to leave your body, but I'd say it was unlikely. Doesn't sound too promising for you!
Dave_G03
Rep:
?
i work in a cafe in a local leisure company... think the policy was mainly introduced to keep lifeguards alert but still has to apply to all members of staff cos it would be discriminiation.

On the legal side of things i signed a copy of the policy the other month...
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Dave_G03)
i work in a cafe in a local leisure company... think the policy was mainly introduced to keep lifeguards alert but still has to apply to all members of staff cos it would be discriminiation.

On the legal side of things i signed a copy of the policy the other month...
You lose then. You'll just have to keep it to 1 drink.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by KingLeigh)
They employ you to come to work in a fit state to do what you are paid for?
That makes sense and applies to all jobs, but you never know, he may be a machinist, or a sculpture or something? Neither of which you would be able to work at 100% capacity while under the influence. (He probably isn't but the principle is the same).

As for passing the test, I have no idea how long alcohol takes to leave your body, but I'd say it was unlikely. Doesn't sound too promising for you!
8 Hours/unit AFAIK
Dave_G03
Rep:
?
i think ill just get drunk and wateva will be will be...
Ill refuse to give a breath sample tho if they ask for one! Then they cant prove i was over the limit.

Who are work to interfere with your private life, i dont know how people here feel but i work to live not live to work...
dede
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Did you know that if you eat a lot of poppyseed muffins you could fail a drug test?

I learned that today. See, school is good for something!
Stranksy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Heh, alcohol/drugs testing at work...what will it be next, on the street when we're minding our own business?...

Who cares if you have some alcohol in your system. As long as your not drunk, who gives a toss. So long as your sober and able to do your job properly, i say, go get waisted
Alpott
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Seriously, If you want to drink alot and not have the alcohol in your blood stream, Have a good meal before you go out, and make sure you eat something filling halfway or near to the end or at least somewhere while you are drinking, and this doesnt include packets of crisps and peanuts, like.. a sandwich..

This will take away a large amount of the alcohol in your bloodstream (It's been tested and proved)
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't drink/
bred
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
8 Hours/unit AFAIK
4 days and 4 hours for 5 pints then? Surely not. ^o)
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't drink much. No more than eight units. Eat plenty. And don't tell your boss you're getting pished again.
kahler_potential
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
8 hours/unit AFAIK
Average in 1986 was 1 unit per hour apparently. Don't see why it would have changed that much in 20 years, especially considering we supposedly drink so much more now, I'd have though our livers would be a little tougher. Methinks 8 hours/unit is some government bull to try to convince us not to drink and drive within the same day.
http://www.80mg.org.uk/ddfacts.html

The website cites that you can drink about 2 pints and assuming you're average and have an average liver, you are unlikely to bust the limit at peak alcohol.

Also off said website:
When drinking the night before driving:
- men should consume no more than 10 units, women no more than 7. (This assumes that no alcohol is consumed after 11.30 pm, and that driving does not take place before 8 am the following morning)

So rough guesswork you should be alright with 5 pints if you stop at 2 and dont start work until 11.30am. That said, I'm not a doctor and I've no idea what your personal circumstances are. Everything I've read and relayed here could all be lies. Do not take this as medical advice or in any way reliable. Make your own informed decision and take your own risks. (disclaimer over)

That said, everyone's metabolic rate is different. Public misinterpretation of statistics and sample groups is frankly shocking, but the 80mg limit needs to be there to prevent idiots with no tolerance drinking 2 pints then driving, not to decide whether or not you're fit for work.
Stranksy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im not sure where 8 hours per unit came from.

Im not even a serious drinker and i always heard it was 1 unit per hour.

Of course, it depends on the persons liver, body mass, and a whole host of other biological systems.
smellielli
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
they can only test u if youve signed a contract that includes it.
angel_flo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It takes approximately one hour for each unit of alcohol to be removed from your body. So say you start drinking at 9, and drink 8 pints, thats 16 units and you have to cancel the first hour of drinking because the alcohol will not have started leaving your bloodstream at this point, so it will take until about 2 the next dayto have completely left your bloodstream.

Bear in mind that
- a pint is 2-3 units
- a 25ml spirit measure of vodka, rum, gin, whisky is 1 unit
- a 125ml glass of wine is 1-2 units
- a 25 ml liquer like malibu, archers etc is 0.5 units

So if you can calculate a way that you think you can avoid still having alcohol in your system the next day then go for it! However, remember to eat loads of things like bread to line your stomach because otherwise you get more drunk more quickly and may end up drinking more than you realise.
Dave_G03
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
well ive just got in ....
dont care now what my boss will do tomoz... ' a jobs a job' he need me more than i need him!

Ill llet you know toomz wat happens... just goin to be sick now lol!!!

ta every1 x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (58)
19.46%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
39.93%
Nope, not that interesting (121)
40.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise