I am dead inside. Watch

Anonymous User
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
I suppose I can be quite emotionless at things that don't directly affect me. I'm rather self centred.

I recently found myself laughing hysterically at this once it got to page 3:

http://board.hondasociety.com/showthread.php?t=38461&page=1&pp =30

It's probably because it reminded me of Six Feet Under and horror films. Either that, or I'm sick in the head.
Mangaroo
Badges: 10
Report 12 years ago
the latter.
Anonymous User
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mangaroo)
the latter.
You do realise she murdered her husband whilst asking for condolences? I think it's really quite amusing.

Oh well.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xelprep)
I'm proud of how I am and don't give a sh*t about what people think of this either.
xelprep, imagine if your fortune changes, a hurricane or tsunami could strike any one of us. When you're ill and need someone to do something for you, why the hell should they? Why should the doctors care to save you. Imagine if everyone thought like you. Your pride is misplaced. S'pose you have to be proud of yourself, no-one else will be.

To the OP- do you value yourself? would you care if you fell down a flight of stairs? i.e. Are you entirely selfish or just projecting your own strength/ tough upper lip onto others..?
Mangaroo
Badges: 10
Report 12 years ago
ohh that story sounds more interesting i think ill read it on. thought you thought her husband dying was funny...
derf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Some people are naturally less empathetic than others.

It could be a phase.
Anonymous User
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
To the OP- do you value yourself? would you care if you fell down a flight of stairs? i.e. Are you entirely selfish or just projecting your own strength/ tough upper lip onto others..?
It's not that I'm selfish I think, because I know that I'm meant to feel sorry or whatever to people but I just don't at all.

If I fell down the stairs then it'd hurt, but I would probably just pick myself up. I wouldn't want people crowding round me or anything.

(Original post by Anonymous)
You do realise she murdered her husband whilst asking for condolences? I think it's really quite amusing.

Oh well.
I was wondering what the hell you linked to that for. But yeah, I found it pretty amusing too.
Esquire
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Better than being dead on the outside.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not that I'm selfish I think, because I know that I'm meant to feel sorry or whatever to people but I just don't at all.

If I fell down the stairs then it'd hurt, but I would probably just pick myself up. I wouldn't want people crowding round me or anything.
ok. So it's just that either you've been brought up to, or conditioned to deal with things on your own, silently. So it doesn't feel right to shower someone with condolensces. I think you should make that clear to your mates so they know it's just the way you do things, not that you hate them or anything. It's not such a bad thing, and I don't see why other emotions would be tainted by this.
Anonymous User
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
Furthermore, the only reason I like this section of the forum is because I enjoy laughing at other peoples problems. It's the same with Agony Aunts and the Problem pages.
Anonymous User
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
is it maybe because you feel particular emotion for someone/something which you may not even realise and maybe all your energy goes into that. I sometimes feel that cos of someone, but nevertheless still feel general emotion.
fundamentally
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A I feel little emotion for anyone else ever. I can say whatever comes into my head to anyone and do not feel guilty even if it was particularly nasty, and I certainly feel no need to apologize.
Sounds like you may have some of the features of a psychopath:
" psychopathy is defined in psychiatry as a personality disorder characterised by lack of empathy or conscience

A psychopath is defined as having no concern for the feelings of others and a complete disregard for any sense of social obligation. They seem egocentric and lacking insight and any sense of responsibility or consequence. Their emotions are thought to be superficial and shallow if they exist at all. They are considered callous, manipulative and incapable of lasting relationships, let alone of any kind of love. It is thought that any emotions which the true psychopath exhibits are the fruits of watching and mimicking other people's emotions. They show poor impulse control and a low tolerance for frustration and aggression. They show no empathy, remorse, anxiety or guilt in relation to their behavior, in short, they truly seem devoid of conscience.

Psychopaths have been shown to be unable to learn from punishment and behavior modification. .. It has been suggested that traditional therapeutic approaches actually make them, if not worse, then far more adept at manipulating others and concealing their behavior. They are generally considered to be not only incurable but also untreatable.

Hervey Cleckley defined psychopathy thus:

1. Superficial charm or intelligence.
2. Absence of delusions and other signs of irrational thinking.
3. Absence of nervousness or neurotic manifestations.
4. Unreliability.
5. Untruthfulness and insincerity.
6. Lack of remorse or shame.
7. Antisocial behavior without apparent compunction.
8. Poor judgement and failure to learn from experience.
9. Pathological egocentricity and incapacity to love.
10. General poverty in major affective relations.
11. Specific loss of insight.
12. Unresponsiveness in general interpersonal relations.
13. Fantastic and uninviting behavior with drink, and sometimes without.
14. Suicide threats rarely carried out.
15. Sex life impersonal, trivial, and poorly integrated.
16. Failure to follow any life plan."

But dont despair, fame can be yours!
There have been some famous psychopaths, including the 12 year old boy who killed his sister, attacked his brother with an axe and tried to kill the rest of his family by burning down the family house.
trixie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoi...ality_disorder

Take a look at the "symptoms" of being schizoid... had to study it for something or other at one point and it sounds kinda the same as what you're experiencing... lack of emotion. x
warranty-ideal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get over yourself. Life could be much worse. I've felt like this before, it passes.
Not aimed at the OP but at whiney people... If you live in a developed country.. you have had pretty much every advantage handed to you, and you still manage to mess it up? How pathetic is that?

note: (sounds aggressive, but this is how I feel towards myself)
Tw!stEd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get over yourself. Life could be much worse. I've felt like this before, it passes.
Not aimed at the OP but at whiney people... If you live in a developed country.. you have had pretty much every advantage handed to you, and you still manage to mess it up? How pathetic is that?

note: (sounds aggressive, but this is how I feel towards myself)
Someones a happy bunny...
Sithius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Haven't read other replies but let me ask you this.

Assuming you have a family member you see regularly (live with) I am also going to assume you probably love them. If they died I bet you would care.

Even the sickest people in the world can care for others.

You are probably just some kid who hasnt experienced death yet and is thinking they are dead inside themselves...
sig.fig.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It may be partly because you've grown to expect yourself to be like it.
Maybe being emotionless gives you a feeling of superiority over others, because it makes you feel as though you are different from them or transcend them.

I hate posts that trivialise the original issue and reduce it to a problem with only one explanation; things are never that simple. I'm only suggesting what part of the problem could be, but I know nothing about the OP so could be absolutely miles off. :rolleyes:
Anonymous User
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
I'm ever so slightly worried by what 'trixie' and 'fundamentally' said...fundamentally in particular! :eek:

(Original post by Sithius)
Haven't read other replies but let me ask you this.

Assuming you have a family member you see regularly (live with) I am also going to assume you probably love them. If they died I bet you would care.

Even the sickest people in the world can care for others.

You are probably just some kid who hasnt experienced death yet and is thinking they are dead inside themselves...
My older brother died a few years ago, and, as nasty as it sounds, I really didn't feel much then. It's kind of hard to explain how I felt - I was more annoyed that I wouldn't be able to hang out with him any more rather than actually sad that he was dead.

(Original post by trunksss6)
It may be partly because you've grown to expect yourself to be like it.
Maybe being emotionless gives you a feeling of superiority over others, because it makes you feel as though you are different from them or transcend them.
.....hummmmm...*thinking*
Clairehayz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would say you have emotionless psychopathy, usually to do with the relationship you had with your parents, did you have a bad childhood?
Golden Maverick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Clairehayz)
I would say you have emotionless psychopathy, usually to do with the relationship you had with your parents, did you have a bad childhood?
How very freudian of you.

To the OP, if it bothers you go and see a psychiatrist, or your GP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (953)
79.95%
Leave (239)
20.05%

Watched Threads