Turn on thread page Beta

Drugs awareness watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNBStyle)
    But thats a problem people need to tackle, the fact there wealthy is no reason to take drugs
    Oh I fully agree, it's just that because people are wealthy they can afford lots of stuff. And then everybody's parents are all about smoothing things over so that their kid can still get into their Ivy League school.

And the peer pressure thing ... well, there probably is a good portion of that that is the cause of the usage. My school is definitely of the "work hard, party hard" variety - obviously I'm not making excuses for people who do abuse drugs, but there is such a ridiculously high amount of pressure to do well and get into a good university that people feel like they need to let off some steam on the weekends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dede)
    but there is such a ridiculously high amount of pressure to do well and get into a good university that people feel like they need to let off some steam on the weekends.
    I agree and thats another problem that i said they should tackle.
    By saying to kids that pressure is one reason why people may start, then they can discuss more healthy better ways of how they could deal with pressure.

ReputationRep:
    I was given a metaphor about crack cocaine which is that its like going on the nemesis at Alton Towers.... its a 5 minute buzz and the first thing you want to do when you get off is get back on again.

It must be so hard to kick that habit.

ReputationRep:
    I can only repeat what other people have said in that drugs education needs primarily to become honest and truthful. The miserable attempt my school made at drugs education was a few hand-outs and quizzes etc in 6th form. Lots of the info was factually incorrect, complete ********. This totally reduces the credibility of the whole thing

I dont think schools can ever provide useful drugs education though, because they HAVE to take the government's view, like drug use is always a bad thing, and youll regret ever using them etc. Drug education HAS TO take the dont-do-drugs side; thats what government drugs policy is based on. Perhaps a tiny bit of "if you're going to do it, do it safely" but its afraid to go that way incase it encourages drug use.

I know about the effects of drugs, but haven't taken - but i have a curiosity to try it. Anyone else feel that way? I see it as a way that may help reach another level of thought and if something like that can bring 15 minutes of happiness at a flick of a switch whats's bad about that?

Ask CRACK addicts on the mend to come in and give talks about their experiences. or.. duct tape their eyes open and force flash images of sideeffects of drugs.

number 2 sounds fun...but you'll probbly get into trouble...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know about the effects of drugs, but haven't taken - but i have a curiosity to try it. Anyone else feel that way? I see it as a way that may help reach another level of thought and if something like that can bring 15 minutes of happiness at a flick of a switch whats's bad about that?
    why not investigate further www.erowid.com if you dont know it already.

I would encourage anyone who's considering trying any drugs to be fully informed and do it in a safe setting and situation. Erowid also has the very useful experience reports. Theres lots of positive and negative experiences in there, from people who have actually used them. IMO thats better than scare-stories parrotted from teen magazines.

(Original post by rock_eleven)
    why not investigate further www.erowid.com if you dont know it already.

I would encourage anyone who's considering trying any drugs to be fully informed and do it in a safe setting and situation. Erowid also has the very useful experience reports. Theres lots of positive and negative experiences in there, from people who have actually used them. IMO thats better than scare-stories parrotted from teen magazines.
    I'll take a look, don't think this belongs here anyway. I just feel that drugs such as heroin, cocaine are told they're bad in whatever doses - yet people feel excessive consumption of alcohol is something to even be commended by their peers. It's just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    yet people feel excessive consumption of alcohol is something to even be commended by their peers. It's just wrong.
    But the same would be said about drugs when it comes to a group of drug takers all together.
    So it works both ways as nobody says ALL drugs are bad, but mix that with alcohol then different story and schools do lessons about the dangers of drinking to anyway.

ReputationRep:
    But the same would be said about drugs when it comes to a group of drug takers all together.
    So it works both ways as nobody says ALL drugs are bad, but mix that with alcohol then different story and schools do lessons about the dangers of drinking to anyway.
    Maybe so....i'm not in touch with many drug circles.

My point was socially one can brag about how "smashed" they got on their weekend. I hear it all the time at university - students gloating about how drunk they got. But if someone said they snorted a gram of coke in an hour or something along those lines it'd be un-acceptable.

When it comes to drugs, society has it wrong. It's not the drugs that make it harmful, more to do with the doses that people use.

Maybe so....i'm not in touch with many drug circles.

My point was socially one can brag about how "smashed" they got on their weekend. I hear it all the time at university - students gloating about how drunk they got. But if someone said they snorted a gram of coke in an hour or something along those lines it'd be un-acceptable.

When it comes to drugs, society has it wrong. It's not the drugs that make it harmful, more to do with the doses that people use.

ReputationRep:
    My point was socially one can brag about how "smashed" they got on their weekend.
    "Oh man i got ****ing stoned n ****ed at the weekend"
    Sound familiar??? see how it works both ways again???
    Some non drug takers disagree with excessive drug taking and some non or not such heavy drinkers will disagree with excessive drinking.

Thats very true with some drugs, and nobody is denying that but there still risky and some deadly at the end of the day.
    Nobody is going round saying all drugs are deadly and that all drugs are going to kill you as soon as you take them.

The problem with not discouraging drug usage is that some people will take drugs and become dependent on them. I myself went through a phase of craving a line of cocaine whenever I was going clubbing even though every day I would hate myself for taking it the previous time. The only reason why I am not using some now is that I try not to go to certain clubs because I know I will end up doing it. Its easy to get addicted to some drugs so you really have to think should you really try it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    back in the 90's there were deaths from taking it because people had a mess around with the ingriedients.
    Please do not make things up in a thread designed to educate.

What you're saying is quite simply, a lie.

ReputationRep:
    I think that in schools drug education should be taught as early on as possible. i was aware of people in my school smoking weed when i was about 12 or 13. i think first of all, they SHOULD be told that it is unadvisable to take any form of illegal drugs. but they shouldnt be told this in a way that makes them think they will punished when they ask for help if something goes wrong. they should be made aware of the health risks, but they should be told what to do when something goes wrong. i think they should also be made aware of the legal side of things: what sentence they could get, what class type each drug is etc. i think the people that teach it need to be very well informed, because i found that the teacher who taught us seemed to have very little knowledge of the topic, and we werent told how to help somone if the OD, we were simply told not to do it. the only reason i know how to minimise the risks when taking drugs is through friends who have had experience and the internet, which is pretty poor, considering both these sources could have been very unreliable, luckily for me they werent. just to be clear though, there is no safe way to take drugs.
    In my personal experience, no drugs that i have taken have been addictive. however, it differs for everyone, and of course the amount of times that you do them, and how often you take them is going to depend on this. the OP said that with coke, you can become addicted very easily, which i havent found to be the case. i find it to be rather moreish though, meaning that i think "i would like some more" (like you do with chocolate, lol), but not "i need some more". but then i have known people to become addicted in a space of a few months, but that was with heavy use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariel4)
    just to be clear though, there is no safe way to take drugs.
    surely thats just the kind of BS you were complaining about?

I guess its all about semantics, what constitutes safe etc. Its always reasonable to predict some chance of a terrible outcome, however small - in ANY situation, including taking drugs. Yet the word "safe" still exists, used when the perceived possible consequences and chance of them occuring, are below a certain threshold (which varys in different types of conversations). IMO it is very reasonable to be able to say "there are very safe ways to take drugs". Again though, who the **** knows what i actually mean by "safe" except me.

Whatever risks there are associated with drug use can be reduced enourmously by proper practices, and equally increased by going about it in a **** way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_eleven)
    surely thats just the kind of BS you were complaining about?
    I wasnt complaining about people being told how dangerous drugs were and not to do them, i was saying that people should be told this, but they should also have it made clear to them that they can ask for help without getting into trouble, and how to minimise the risks if they do take them.

sorry if ive misunderstood what you were saying btw, im not really with it today, think ive got the flu.

ReputationRep:
    Your post was shocking and enraging coming from someone in your position.

(Original post by SpudMuffin)
    Some of the thinking points that got me was that sniffing coke once or twice may not leave you addicted even if its done 'socially' but very rarely over a few years but it could be the 5th hit before your body wants it... so you could do 5 lines on sunday and be addicted by monday morning... wow, that's scary!
    True. Coke is a bad drug for addictivity but it shoul be made quite clear here that the average number of lines it takes for you to be hooked, is eight. Although it should also be stressed that this is just an average, it could be less, it could be more.

The second thing that threw me was to do with Es... in the early 90s they cost between £35-£50 on average EACH... now people can pick them up for 50p each... that has to say something about the quality of them, if young people were aware of this and knew that their pill probably had paracetamol in it instead of the active ingredient that made the pills of the early 90s so popular... there is no guarantee where they have come from, therefore how safe they are... especially if you're allergic to paracetamol for example.
    If you take a pill and nothing happens you know you've been thrown a duff.
    Taking paracetamol will not give you the same effects as taking a pill.
    The average price for a pill in London is somewhere between £2 and £3. Ive yet to see them being sold for 50p, so this is extremely rare.
    Not knowing exactly what you are taking is an argument for the legalisation of drugs as well.

In case you're wondering, I'm not advocating the use of drugs, my body is temple! :p: I only have to look at Pete Doherty to see exactly why I don't want to take them!
    Not all drugs are heroin or crack.
    Smoking the occasionaly spliff will not turn you into a dazed zombie. :rolleyes:

Remember: MISINFORMATION kills.
    All the more so when it comes to someone with some supposed authority on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    I think that there needs to be recognition of the fact that a lot of people do take drugs and will do so regardless of legislation. However there is a very fine line between dependence and recreational use. It's all about self control; I know as when I was younger I wasted two years of my life and it took me a long time to return to some form of normailty (although I still struggle on motivation and self confidence)...and that was just ecstasy, I would never consider harder drugs. If you need the drugs to have a good time then you know you have to stop!

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the 'messing around with ingredients...' in ecstasy
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Please do not make things up in a thread designed to educate.
    What you're saying is quite simply, a lie.
    There have been reports that PMA (4-methoxyamphetamine) had been used in some pills as an MDMA substitute - and this apparently caused several casualties and deaths. (refs to this on Drugscope,Pillreports,Erowid) It can't be denied that pills sold as ecstasy are rarely totally free from other chemicals.

With regards to the original post, I beleive children should be taught about drugs completely from a young age - there will always be kids that take them therefore they need to be educated about harm reduction, how to minimise adverse effects of drugs if they take them, and what to do if a friend is in trouble.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.