Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    If a subject was worthless to study at degree level then why would uni's waste their time offering it? :confused: Surely they would lose money.
    But some are worth more than others

ReputationRep:
    i have seen quite a few of these threads across the board...but this is the first time I am going to respond. A degree is valuable when it is channelled in the appropriate field. An MD would be useless in the field of law and so would an llb in the arena of psychology. therefore the poster's view is severely flawed

ReputationRep:
    havent read the wholw post, sorry if im repeating. but the poster is being sooo ignorant! its annoying.! they've got the degrees out thier for a reason,cos people want to do them.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read all of this thread, maybe only the first couple of pages, If I was continuously replying though I'd probably be posting similar to Frances' posts. It is extremely infuriating, and really, we could argue all day- debates like this are based on people who think they have such a broad knowledge of, well, everything when in actual fact they are extremely naive.

Ian Fleming, successful film director, degree in film studies.

Graeme Scarfe, successful screenwriter, media degree from Bournemouth University.

Trevor McDonald- Broadcasting degree.

Greg Dyke, Director General of the BBC, politics degree.

Harriet Harman QC MP, Solicitor General, politics degree.

Tony Banks MP, former Minister for Sport, politics degree.

These are obviously just examples, which I'm sure everyone is going to snub, but whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Ahem.

No degree subjects are inherantly rubbish. There are decent Media Studies degrees out there, just as there are crap chemistry and english degrees out there.

In the same way, there is no such thing as a *Micky mouse* A-level subject.

THE FINAL WORD: HURRAH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    I thought that he went to Sandhurst... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    *notes silence*

Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read all of this thread, maybe only the first couple of pages, If I was continuously replying though I'd probably be posting similar to Frances' posts. It is extremely infuriating, and really, we could argue all day- debates like this are based on people who think they have such a broad knowledge of, well, everything when in actual fact they are extremely naive.

Graeme Scarfe, successful screenwriter, media degree from Bournemouth University.

Trevor McDonald- Broadcasting degree.

Greg Dyke, Director General of the BBC, politics degree.

Harriet Harman QC MP, Solicitor General, politics degree.

Tony Banks MP, former Minister for Sport, politics degree.

These are obviously just examples, which I'm sure everyone is going to snub, but whatever.
    And Piers Morgan - infamous former editor of the Daily Mirror and The News of the World (he became editor of The News at 28 - the youngest newspaper editor for 50 years) studied Journalism at Harlow College.

ReputationRep:
    *notes silence*

Exactly.
    No, I haven't backed down.

I just find what you say hard to believe, bearing in mind the fact that:

a) Ian Fleming never made a film in his life
    b) Ian Fleming is about as far removed from a Film Studies student as you can get.

EDIT: You are talking about the famous Ian Fleming, aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobb_theprequel)
    No, I haven't backed down.

I just find what you say hard to believe, bearing in mind the fact that:

a) Ian Fleming never made a film in his life
    b) Ian Fleming is about as far removed from a Film Studies student as you can get.

Is this Ian Flemming of James Bond fame?
    Well when he was this age they would not have had media/film studies courses.
    In the Guardian recently, there was a profile of some senior media people - very few had done any media degrees - they came from Oxbridge, Warwick et. al. with traditional degrees, jounalism college training or no degress at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blast/about/ask...anscript.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Not quite: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blast/about/ask...anscript.shtml
    Ah, humble apologies to young_free.

Although, in my defence, mention the name 'Ian Fleming' to 80% of the population - and they'll probably think you're on about the creator of 007, rather than a Chester soap opera maker.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, humble apologies to young_free.

Although, in my defence, mention the name 'Ian Fleming' to 80% of the population - and they'll probably think you're on about the creator of 007, rather than a Chester soap opera maker.
    I think of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I think of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
    Each to his own.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that no matter what you think of it Hollyoaks is a successful soap and the guy does own his own production company. Anyway, seeing as I listed six examples and there's only really 'uncertainty' over one of them I still think it proves that it depends on the person, just because you take a media studies degree doesn't mean you're going to be laughed at for the rest of your life.

P.S. I'm not a (current or potential) media studies or media related student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    Is this Ian Flemming of James Bond fame?
    Well when he was this age they would not have had media/film studies courses.
    In the Guardian recently, there was a profile of some senior media people - very few had done any media degrees - they came from Oxbridge, Warwick et. al. with traditional degrees, jounalism college training or no degress at all.

Yes but that's 'senior' people, people who probably work in an office and have to be professional all the time, I'd agree that these kinds of people who want jobs in that sector of the media need a good traditional degree behind them, but it's these media students that have the hands on jobs- the more exciting one- out of the offices and grey suits!

ReputationRep:
    I recently read somebody witha classics degree from Durham ****ging off Music Technology courses. The said this degree is simply listening to heavy metal music. Erm how come the two modules I have studied in this area involved maths, physics and a bit of accoustics?

People tend to just **** off things they know nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Laura*)
    Have you ever studied psychology? I hate the way that people put down subjects and think that their subjects are better. You seem to like chemistry but psychology is entirely different so you can't even compare them. Things are no more 'made up' than in chemistry...lots of theories have been proved wrong or right in chemistry, just as in psychology.
    I will have an iota of respect for your subject when it gets rid of wasters like June McNicholas who publish stupid studies into the effect of taking dogs into business meetings and whether glasses or contact lenses make you more attractive to the opposite sex. She then has the audacity to call this rubbish science! You're right you can't compare chemistry and psychology, in chemistry, quacks don't get senior lectureships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    in chemistry, quacks don't get senior lectureships.
    ...they get professorships!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    ...they get professorships!

Ben
    Har Har!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.