Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    I think History might cover this particular topic - just a thought. What can you do with a media degree that you can't do with a degree in a traditional subject? Also, why do you think Oxbridge do not offer media as an undergraduate degree course?

Ben
    you could cover that in history its true, but in any great depth? probably not. as a history graduate i only came across it in my classes on the russian revolution and nazi germany...it was one class, not one course unit and always related to these countries and a specific time period. no doubt other universities do have course options on it if you choose history but it will always be approached as a historical phenomenon. no doubt in media courses it would be a radically different approach and the history of twentieth century propaganda would only be a small sub element to it.

and couldnt you study history through other subjects thus nullifying the subject altogether. why study nazi propoganda in history when you can study nazi propoganda as a sub option in media. why study the russian revolution in a history bachelors when it could be part of a course on the politics of russia in a politics bachelors? in fact lets do away with politics, after all why study ideology in politics when it can be studied in a history major. i could go on but i think the point is quite clear...courses overlap and depending on the course you choose the approach to the topic (propoganda or ideology, or the russian revolution) will be hugely different depending upon which course you have chosen.

also my point was that media is not trivial. Whether propaganda can be studied in history or not, media is not trivial and it is absurd to suggest so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    LOL. Nah that's in "BA Umbrella Aerodynamics"
    What does the mphil cover?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    What does the mphil cover?
    Presumably novel research into the aerodynamics of umbrellas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    I haven't read all of this thread, maybe only the first couple of pages, If I was continuously replying though I'd probably be posting similar to Frances' posts. It is extremely infuriating, and really, we could argue all day- debates like this are based on people who think they have such a broad knowledge of, well, everything when in actual fact they are extremely naive.

Ian Fleming, successful film director, degree in film studies.

Graeme Scarfe, successful screenwriter, media degree from Bournemouth University.

Trevor McDonald- Broadcasting degree.

Greg Dyke, Director General of the BBC, politics degree.

Harriet Harman QC MP, Solicitor General, politics degree.

Tony Banks MP, former Minister for Sport, politics degree.

These are obviously just examples, which I'm sure everyone is going to snub, but whatever.
    Yeah and how many people with media degrees and politics degrees end up working in macdonalds? Thousands!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    Sorry - I didn't read it in the way you meant it.
    I for one am glad there is no degree in train drving - but they do NVQs thesedays - God knows why!!

Academically it is easy. Taxing is concentrating for hours upon end in a cab on your own doing nothing but looking for coloured lights and holding a handle. That is what these tests are for - conectration. From what I've read the tests are tough and I am sure I couldn't do them!
    No there is not ver much high level stuff - if anything goes wrong the control will take over and you can stop - unlike a plane.
    But its not taxing Its boring, if the only thing you have to tax your mind is trying to stay awake its a pretty poor show. Weres the freedom? Wheres the respect from other people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    Yeah and how many people with media degrees and politics degrees end up working in macdonalds? Thousands!
    You can say that about any degree ,just because you do a degree in a certain subject doesn't guarantee you success! You can't be that naive.

ReputationRep:
    IT's not all about the degree and what type it is. For example, if say one went into the media area for example, an employer would much rather have someone who did a degree of ANY sort from say U.C.E. but who had worked on the uni's radio station/ newspaper than say one who had a degree in Classics from Oxford but only offered the degree and no extra curricular activities etc. This lack of extra curricular activities would not win over an employer just because they went to Oxbridge as it would show that they probably haven't got the social skills and extra breadth to do anything else but work for their degree.

So at the end of the day, their is no crap or superior degree as it is just as possible to find a graduate of Oxford with a BA in PPE working in McDonalds as someone with a BA in Media Studies from wherever if they have no drive or personality that would catch an employers eye!

And no, I'm not doing a media degree, I'm just stating the reality of the fact that a degree (whether superior or not) is not a means to an end as some here seme to think and that even the best degrees can never garuntee the best paid job/ dream career. It's about everything else attatched to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    You can say that about any degree ,just because you do a degree in a certain subject doesn't guarantee you success! You can't be that naive.
    No but come on how many people that do media degrees do it becouse they think its an easy way to get a degree and its a bit of a doss? i mean if they all think they'll be working for the BBC as top managers they're pretty dumb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by btigershark)
    So at the end of the day, their is no crap or superior degree as it is just as possible to find a graduate of Oxford with a BA in PPE working in McDonalds as someone with a BA in Media Studies from wherever if they have no drive or personality that would catch an employers eye
    While broadly agreeing with what you say, I think it would be less likley to find the Oxford graduate working there, than the other guy. It is quite unlikley that a media degree from a half decent university will lead there either, though.
    Something has to go seriously wrong for either of them to end up like that, but it has to be even worse for the Oxford guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    why the hell do you put media and politics in the same category? ahem...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megalomania)
    why the hell do you put media and politics in the same category? ahem...
    Cos they're all dossers, get with the program

Nah just the first two degrees that came to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    While broadly agreeing with what you say, I think it would be less likley to find the Oxford graduate working there, than the other guy. It is quite unlikley that a media degree from a half decent university will lead there either, though.
    Something has to go seriously wrong for either of them to end up like that, but it has to be even worse for the Oxford guy.
    I also agree with you too, in that it would be less likely to see an Oxford graduate in a crap job, I was just trying to emphasise the fact that a degree alone probably won't get the big bucks etc, it's everything else that forms the applicants package!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.