Turn on thread page Beta

Rubbish Degrees (The definitive list) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    No, i don't 'take the piss because everyone else does'. I take the piss because I see it as essentially vocational and non-academic, thus has no place in a university system.
    My film and tv studies degree is 100% theory based, no vocational aspect at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    No i think that the whole university system should be reformed and all the 'mickey mouse' degrees should go! Its not just media studies, for example what is the use of a General Studies or Critical Thinking degree, or even Golf Course management? I think that we should revert back to the more traditional subjects
    I really hate the argument that it's not traditional enough. I thought we are suposed to be moving forward, not backwards. :rolleyes:

If we'd always used the argument that we should stick to the traditional subjects, a lot of now well respected subjects would not be taught today.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors have some purpose, i.e. to save lives. Media studies students learn nothing that a History or English student couldn't do equally as well, or better. By vocational i meant non academic, sorry wrong use of the word

ReputationRep:
    Doctors have some purpose, i.e. to save lives. Media studies students learn nothing that a History or English student couldn't do equally as well, or better. By vocational i meant non academic, sorry wrong use of the word
    i think you should just accept that things are changing. by all means do your traditional degree, but don't complain about people doing more modern degrees. try to be more open minded about it. University is a perfectly appropriate place for people wanting to get into media

ReputationRep:
    Why can't people accept things are changing? I think these people must feel threatened by media studies graduates otherwise they wouldn't keep moaning "its not traditional enough".

Well how about this the internet is not traditional so get the **** offline!

Times are changing and vocational education does belong in the university system otherwise we would not have forums like this.

ReputationRep:
    History and english students learn nothing that a media studies student couldn't do equally as well, or better. My course demands AAB + B at as level, an english lit A is also a pre-requisite. It is not the underachievers who choose to do media.

How is film and TV not academic? Since it's all theory based and there is no practical element to my course how can you say it's not academic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    i think you should just accept that things are changing. by all means do your traditional degree, but don't complain about people doing more modern degrees. try to be more open minded about it. University is a perfectly appropriate place for people wanting to get into media
    I'm still not convinced but never mind, if that's what you want to do-go ahead. I think i might just agree to disagree

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not convinced but never mind, if that's what you want to do-go ahead. I think i might just agree to disagree
    good. just think you should know that i have spoken to people (tv producers etc) and they have said the best, and easiest way to get into the industry is to do a degree in media, so that's what i'm doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew_S)
    History and english students learn nothing that a media studies student couldn't do equally as well, or better. My course demands AAB + B at as level, an english lit A is also a pre-requisite. It is not the underachievers who choose to do media.

How is film and TV not academic? Since it's all theory based and there is no practical element to my course how can you say it's not academic?
    I never said it wasn't demanding to get in, I said the outcome will result in nothing more applicable to media world than a degree in English or History

ReputationRep:
    I never said it wasn't demanding to get in, I said the outcome will result in nothing more applicable to media world than a degree in English or History
    it will - producers etc have SAID that a media degree is more valuable

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect your royal highness surely you cannot make that judgement until you are an employer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    With all due respect your royal highness surely you cannot make that judgement until you are an employer?
    You can have an opinion, and that is her's! And with all due respect, surely if you are all that bothered, then the person you should actually be having a go at is the person who started this thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    You can have an opinion, and that is her's! And with all due respect, surely if you are all that bothered, then the person you should actually be having a go at is the person who started this thread!
    I have already had a go at the thread starter believe me, but that was 300 or more posts ago.

ReputationRep:
    I have already had a go at the thread starter believe me, but that was 300 or more posts ago.
    Besides, he appears to have disapeared after his one and only post...

ReputationRep:

I've encountered some awful English degrees, and English itself is often a terrible ragbag as a university study, with no core identity, and lots of time reading awful female 19th century novels, all repressed spinsterish hysteria and masturbatoryhot flushes focusing on brutal and domineering Alistair Campbell type anti-heroes, (the Brontes should have been strangled at birth, and as for that old slapper Mrs. Gaskell the less said the better), while on the other hand there are media degrees where people are taught both how to handle theory and how to write properly-tell me about an Eng Lit academic who can write a line that isn't embarrassing....

I don't know precisely what feminism is, I only know it's organised hypocrisy..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    I've encountered some awful English degrees, and English itself is often a terrible ragbag as a university study, with no core identity, and lots of time reading awful female 19th century novels, all repressed spinsterish hysteria and masturbatoryhot flushes focusing on brutal and domineering Alistair Campbell type anti-heroes, (the Brontes should have been strangled at birth, and as for that old slapper Mrs. Gaskell the less said the better), while on the other hand there are media degrees where people are taught both how to handle theory and how to write properly-tell me about an Eng Lit academic who can write a line that isn't embarrassing....

Well if you don't know what feminism is how can you comment on it? Are you a comic book person then? otherwise you may know that some of the Bronte's novels are some of the best written!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh i am glad to see that someone is addressing me properly, lowly footman

ReputationRep:
    Ooh i am glad to see that someone is addressing me properly, lowly footman
    just out of interest claire..what degree are you doing/do you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)

You are so boring..... Until women have equal rights in the workplace, equal pay, equal rights to their own sexuality and more respect from chauvanists like you, i will carry on to believe in the great movement that is feminism. So if you don't mind, quit it with the stupid anecdotal comments when you clearly are just an insecure little man, ready to repress women to make yourself feel better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    just out of interest claire..what degree are you doing/do you want to do?
    History

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.