St. Andrews A990 Programme Applicants 2012

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
doctork2
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
This is the official thread for the new A990 (Canadian Programme) at University of St. Andrews! This thread will be used to discuss about the new programme, any questions on the application process, interviews, etc. However, this thread will NOT be used to share interview questions or any confidential information about the application process.

University of St. Andrews (A990 Programme)
Canadian Programme - St. Andrews - Edinburgh - Alberta

Course Information

Information Booklet (pdf file)

Basic Information
This is the new A990 programme at the University of St. Andrews. This programme is almost identical to the A100 programe - however, this course is only open to Canadian applicants. The successful applicant will spend 3 years for pre-clinical training (BSc) at St. Andrews and will proceed to University of Edinburgh to complete their medical studies. In their final year (Year 6) of their studies, A990 students will spend 16 weeks of attachment training with the University of Alberta and complete the studies.

Entry Requirement
Canadians can apply for either the A100 (St Andrews/Manchester programme) or
the A990 (St Andrews/Edinburgh/Alberta programme).
The entry requirements for both courses are the same.

An applicant with an average of over 85% in grade 11 might be considered but 90% would be more competitive. A conditional offer would be made on Year 12 grades and 90% will be required in Chemistry, one of Biology, Maths or Physics and also in one other subject.

When calculating the average, academic subjects will be considered.
Chemistry is required in both Year 11 and 12 with 85% minimum in Year 11 and 90% in Year 12.

If Chemistry has not been studied for the required number of years, SAT II score of 700+ might be considered in lieu of a second year of Chemistry study.

If not offered in Year 11 and Year 12, then Biology, Maths and English MUST be offered in Year 10. Preference will be given to those who have studied Biology for more than Year 10.

Please leave any concerns/comments below!

doctork2
Anterior view
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by doctork2)
This is the official thread for the new A990 (Canadian Programme) at University of St. Andrews! This thread will be used to discuss about the new programme, any questions on the application process, interviews, etc. However, this thread will NOT be used to share interview questions or any confidential information about the application process.

University of St. Andrews (A990 Programme)
Canadian Programme - St. Andrews - Edinburgh - Alberta

Course Information

Information Booklet (pdf file)

Basic Information
This is the new A990 programme at the University of St. Andrews. This programme is almost identical to the A100 programe - however, this course is only open to Canadian applicants. The successful applicant will spend 3 years for pre-clinical training (BSc) at St. Andrews and will proceed to University of Edinburgh to complete their medical studies. In their final year (Year 6) of their studies, A990 students will spend 16 weeks of attachment training with the University of Alberta and complete the studies.

Entry Requirement
Canadians can apply for either the A100 (St Andrews/Manchester programme) or
the A990 (St Andrews/Edinburgh/Alberta programme).
The entry requirements for both courses are the same.

An applicant with an average of over 85% in grade 11 might be considered but 90% would be more competitive. A conditional offer would be made on Year 12 grades and 90% will be required in Chemistry, one of Biology, Maths or Physics and also in one other subject.

When calculating the average, academic subjects will be considered.
Chemistry is required in both Year 11 and 12 with 85% minimum in Year 11 and 90% in Year 12.

If Chemistry has not been studied for the required number of years, SAT II score of 700+ might be considered in lieu of a second year of Chemistry study.

If not offered in Year 11 and Year 12, then Biology, Maths and English MUST be offered in Year 10. Preference will be given to those who have studied Biology for more than Year 10.

Please leave any concerns/comments below!

doctork2
Hi, I'm not Canadian I'm Scottish but has there been much interest in this course from your fellow Canadians?
doctork2
Rep:
(Original post by Anterior view)
Hi, I'm not Canadian I'm Scottish but has there been much interest in this course from your fellow Canadians?
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I really do hope many fellow Canadians are interested in this programme... This is indeed an excellent choice if one wishes to practice back in Canada... so you get the 'best of both worlds'.

But as of now, I don't really see alot of Canadians applying for it. I would really like to talk to the Canadians who're applying for this programme!
Anterior view
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by doctork2)
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I really do hope many fellow Canadians are interested in this programme... This is indeed an excellent choice if one wishes to practice back in Canada... so you get the 'best of both worlds'.

But as of now, I don't really see alot of Canadians applying for it. I would really like to talk to the Canadians who're applying for this programme!
First 3 years seem reasonable in terms of fees but the final 3!:eek:
doctork2
Rep:
(Original post by Anterior view)
First 3 years seem reasonable in terms of fees but the final 3!:eek:
Yeah... thankfully, I saved up money for university since I was born (my parents opened up a savings account for me) and I worked for the past 2 years and made enough money to pay for some of my potential tuition fee. My parents are paying for the rest, and my grandparents were generous and supportive enough to pay for my final year
gagamonsterz
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Do you need to have taken UKCAT before applying? If so, how did you study for it in Canada?
doctork2
Rep:
(Original post by gagamonsterz)
Do you need to have taken UKCAT before applying? If so, how did you study for it in Canada?
Yes, UKCAT is required - just like any other medical schools in the UK (minus some universities who require BMAT or none at all). I bought a book online that had 600 Questions to practice for the UKCAT. I would highly recommend you checking that out. Let me know if you have any further questions!

K2
gagamonsterz
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for the reply Is there a certain score that's needed in order to be accepted?
goldengurl
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Hi I'm applying for this program but as a Canadian living outside of Canada so a bit out of the loop. I was just wondering how competitive the program is....also when were invites to interview/rejections sent out last year?
X
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (59)
26.94%
As I expected (70)
31.96%
Harder (82)
37.44%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.65%

Watched Threads