How low should my insurance be? Watch

candice.
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi,
I have been predicted ABB & have received some conditional offers for the Q100 Linguistics course:
Edinburgh - BBB
Newcastle - BBB/ABC
York - BBB
Lancaster - ABB
Leeds - BBB
Bangor - BCC

I want to put York as my first choice, but I don't know what to use as insurance. I'm likely to get an A in French at A Level, so I was wanting to put Newcastle as insurance, as then my other two grades can be BC rather than BB, but I don't know if this is low enough. Any advice?
xo.
trihhoang
Report 13 years ago
For insurance you should go for Bangor - BCC because the rest of the uni gives the same offer condition as your 1st choice.
AnilTaneja
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you've been predicted ABB, then I wouldn't go lower than ABC or BBB. But that's a personal thing I guess :x
Evil Phoenix
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by candice.)
Hi,
I have been predicted ABB & have received some conditional offers for the Q100 Linguistics course:
Edinburgh - BBB
Newcastle - BBB/ABC
York - BBB
Lancaster - ABB
Leeds - BBB
Bangor - BCC

I want to put York as my first choice, but I don't know what to use as insurance. I'm likely to get an A in French at A Level, so I was wanting to put Newcastle as insurance, as then my other two grades can be BC rather than BB, but I don't know if this is low enough. Any advice?
xo.
a good insurance must be one you know you can make even if the exams go worse than expected, but that you still want to go to. It can be just one point off your first choice if you're confident enough . hope u get your first anyway
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi,
Edinburgh - BBB
Newcastle - BBB/ABC
York - BBB
Lancaster - ABB
Leeds - BBB
Bangor - BCC

xo.
are you expecting ABB+? if you put Newcastle you'd only be prepared if you dropped to a C in your third subject, do you you know if that's realistic? also would you be happy at Newcastle?

if not your only other insurance option is Bangor which you could still get into if you dropped a grade on each subject which sounds a bit extreme (I did just that, had to take a gap year and applied to Bangor among others) but a very good safety net
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Bangor would make the most sense in terms of grades because it's quite a bit lower than your firm, but your insurance also has to be somewhere you'd quite happily go, so if you're confident of getting ABC and you like Newcastle, stick with that
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
go for Bangor,but then again it's your choice,and you're gonna be there for a few years.goodluck.
OldMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Q1 Linguistics - Average A level tarrif points in 2003 (for ALL A levels...so it'll be bumped up if they get a lot of students with 4 A levels)
360 - Edinburgh
355 - Newcastle
350 - York
286 - Lancaster
339 - Leeds
230 - Bangor
And remember that these are averages; around half the people will have less than this.
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Come to Bangor :rolleyes:
candice.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks
I guess I'll wait for my resit marks to come through, then decide. My deadline is May 4th. At the moment I have grades ACE. My A is in French & is pretty high (92/95 in one paper, 103/105 in another... & I've resat the third paper which I had a C in), so hopefully I shouldn't find it too hard getting an A there. My C is in Psychology, I'm 1 UMS mark off a B and I've resat unit 2 & am planning on resitting unit 1 in the summer. My E is in Economics which I did not understand at all, however I've been having a private tutor so now understand it fully, & have resat papers 1 & 2, resitting 3 in the summer. If I can get my C & E to Bs when the results come back in March, then I reckon I'll put Newcastle. Otherwise I think I'll put Bangor. At the moment I've got this weird dislike for Bangor, probably because I've been to Newcastle and LOVED it (although not as much as York), & I've never been to Bangor. But I'm going in February half term so that should help make up my mind.
Thanks for the help!
xo.
-------------------
Edit: Also, I forgot to say, accomodation won't matter to me because I'm moving with my boyfriend & we're going to rent a flat somewhere together, so I won't be living in the halls. Thanks though. :rolleyes:
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bangor mightn't be the place for big city people, but otherwise it's beautiful and the town isn't devoid of nightlife. I wouldn't be unhappy spending three years there...
beanie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey, I don't have any advice as we're in the same position. I thought I'd reply though as we've both applied for linguistics at Edinburgh, Lancaster and Bangor and there aren't many linguistics applicants on TSR.
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gianthead)
Bangor mightn't be the place for big city people, but otherwise it's beautiful and the town isn't devoid of nightlife. I wouldn't be unhappy spending three years there...

It is beautiful, it isn't the place for everyone, but I fell in love with it.

Despite what people might think, the nightlife isn't non-existant!!
ssmoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My firm will be AAB my reserve will be ABB. Originally I had wanted to put Exeter as a reserve because its typical grades were quoted as BBC, however they gave me ABB, so Manchester had itself propelled into insurance slot.
candice.
(Original post by beanie)
Hey, I don't have any advice as we're in the same position. I thought I'd reply though as we've both applied for linguistics at Edinburgh, Lancaster and Bangor and there aren't many linguistics applicants on TSR.

Hey,
So what are you gona do for firm & insurance?
xo.
jellybaby99
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey i'd put newcaslte if i were u...and work hard...no point putting down a uni that u dont wanna go to, even if it's an insurance
blurboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In my case my firm, Bristol, gave me the lowest offer BBB and now I dont have an insurance. Maybe I'll put lancaster..
candice.
(Original post by jellybaby99)
hey i'd put newcaslte if i were u...and work hard...no point putting down a uni that u dont wanna go to, even if it's an insurance
Thanks, I was thinking that... if I put Newcastle I reckon I'd work harder coz I'd know I can't get lower than ABC or I'm out. I don't wana put Bangor then slack off coz I know I don't have to get the grades to get to Uni.
xo.
beanie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Hey,
So what are you gona do for firm & insurance?
xo.
Edinburgh is firm, definatly. Then either Glasgow or Lancaster for insurance, I haven't decided yet. They both accept general studies (yay I guess) so I'm going to go to the open days and decide which ones I like best. Lancaster wants higher than Ed, and Glasgow want the same, but as they accept GS I can drop a grade in one of my subjects. Do you have a better idea yet?
candice.
(Original post by beanie)
Edinburgh is firm, definatly. Then either Glasgow or Lancaster for insurance, I haven't decided yet. They both accept general studies (yay I guess) so I'm going to go to the open days and decide which ones I like best. Lancaster wants higher than Ed, and Glasgow want the same, but as they accept GS I can drop a grade in one of my subjects. Do you have a better idea yet?
Not at the moment, I never checked if any of the Universities take General Studies. But I'm not planning on taking the General Studies exam anyway, as I've got a C in the AS at the moment & don't want the extra pressure for the A2. Never thought about checking for that.
xo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?