Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAM*)
    I've painted a real crazy picture of myself but trust me i'm not like this in person
    Don't worry, it's understandable that you want something badly.

Just hope it works out well.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Sam

Don't worry, 7 days is still really early in the whole scheme of things, you'll almost definitely hear in the next week or so! I had my interview on the 10th and the letter was dated the 16th, so they seem to be pretty efficient on the administration side of things and I'm sure your letter will be coming through the post soon enough so honestly, you'll be hearing really soon

As for King's, one of my friends (who applied for medicine there) was rejected pre-interview too. I don't understand why, she had all A*s/As and is blatantly an excellent candidate, King's are a bit weird like that I think.

(Original post by SAM*)
    I'm really bad i keep lookin back at the int and picking out mistakes, i know i shouldn't but i can't help it!
    lol, I think majority of us do that and I know that you wont stop even if I tell you to . I can only ever think back to the bad aspects of an interview: I've been frowned at, told "No, that's all wrong", "I don't quite understand what you mean..." etc. and I was quite upset after my UCL interview - it really shows that everyone makes mistakes and it's alright because the interviewers understand that we are nervous

Anyway, good luck vibes coming your way, really hope you get in because you sure as hell deserve it !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    As for King's, one of my friends (who applied for medicine there) was rejected pre-interview too. I don't understand why, she had all A*s/As and is blatantly an excellent candidate, King's are a bit weird like that I think!
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    :confused:
    She reckons that maybe she didn't put in enough extra-curricular activities into her personal statement. Everything else was fine, predicted all As, excellent reference etc... Strange. King's loss anyway, I think she will make an amazing doctor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Hey Sam

Don't worry, 7 days is still really early in the whole scheme of things, you'll almost definitely hear in the next week or so! I had my interview on the 10th and the letter was dated the 16th, so they seem to be pretty efficient on the administration side of things and I'm sure your letter will be coming through the post soon enough so honestly, you'll be hearing really soon

As for King's, one of my friends (who applied for medicine there) was rejected pre-interview too. I don't understand why, she had all A*s/As and is blatantly an excellent candidate, King's are a bit weird like that I think.

lol, I think majority of us do that and I know that you wont stop even if I tell you to . I can only ever think back to the bad aspects of an interview: I've been frowned at, told "No, that's all wrong", "I don't quite understand what you mean..." etc. and I was quite upset after my UCL interview - it really shows that everyone makes mistakes and it's alright because the interviewers understand that we are nervous

Anyway, good luck vibes coming your way, really hope you get in because you sure as hell deserve it !

Hey Lucy!

Thanks! And i'll say it again i'm soooooooo happy for you, you must be well proud i mean they only dish out a handful of triple B offers- well done!

I'm not to upset about the King's thing any more either! One of my friends ideal canditate amazing PS with loads of extracurricular stuff got rejected! I was like 'why the hell?' he is amazing and will make a fabtastic Doc!

newayz how do u feel?

ReputationRep:
    Also Lucy, they probz replied to u sooner cause you were so good you reaally must have blown them away!!!:-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAM*)
    newayz how do u feel?
    Pretty much the same as how I felt before. It's strange but when you get your first offer you get really hyped because you know that you're going to medical school, now it's just a small 'woohoo!' and then back to moaning about too much school work I'm sure my parents will be very happy though as they both really like UCL (hmm, I should really tell them soon, just haven't gotten round to it yet!), I'm still unsure about whether I'm putting it down as my insurance really. I'm just really glad that I'll soon be able to have my uni application all sorted (if Imperial get off their asses and contact me ) because it's been pure hell !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAM*)
    Also Lucy, they probz replied to u sooner cause you were so good you reaally must have blown them away!!!:-)
    lol, you're too nice ! Though I have a niggling feeling that it's because I took a French AS and there was that whole thing in the prospectus about them liking subjects which weren't bio/chem/maths/physics.

They, however, didn't make that much of a nice impression on me, infact they seemed pretty horrid - not sure if I want to spend the next 6 years of my life there ! It was probably unintentional though, the medical student I met was very sweet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Pretty much the same as how I felt before. It's strange but when you get your first offer you get really hyped because you know that you're going to medical school, now it's just a small 'woohoo!' and then back to moaning about too much school work I'm sure my parents will be very happy though as they both really like UCL (hmm, I should really tell them soon, just haven't gotten round to it yet!), I'm still unsure about whether I'm putting it down as my insurance really. I'm just really glad that I'll soon be able to have my uni application all sorted (if Imperial get off their asses and contact me ) because it's been pure hell !
    Well i haven't experienced recieving an offer let alone three and yeah if i do (fingers tightly(with glue) crossed) i'll be exstatic! whether that means i'll defo get into med school is another story, knowing my luck i'll probz mess up the exams!

newayz i'm sure Imperial will contact you, actually i don't think they deserve you, leaving it this late! So how comes UCL is an insurance? holding out for imperial aren't u?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAM*)
    Well i haven't experienced recieving an offer let alone three yet and yeah if i do (fingers tightly(with glue) crossed) i'll be exstatic! whether that means i'll defo get into med school is another story, knowing my luck i'll probz mess up the exams!

newayz i'm sure Imperial will contact you, actually i don't think they deserve you, leaving it this late! So how comes UCL is an insurance? holding out for imperial aren't u?
    You're in the exact position as a close friend - she had heard from no one until she had an interview this Tuesday and she is insanely worried that she wont be able to get into med school. It's all paranoia though (it's just because they like to drag our applications out over something dire like 6 months?!) because she's just as good as the rest of us Anyway, if it's any consolation, I know someone who worked out from various applications stats, the probability of being offered a place after being interviewed at UCL, and it's something insane like 70% - cool, huh ?

I'm going to put down Oxford as my firm, so presently the uncertainty is over which medical school I will put down as my insurance. Even though it's my insurance I really want to choose a place which I really like because there is a (realistic) chance that I wont make my Oxford offer. So really, right now it's Imperial vs. UCL - hmmmm, hard one

Anyway, where else did you apply (except King's and UCL)? Which ones would you like as your firm & insurance choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    She reckons that maybe she didn't put in enough extra-curricular activities into her personal statement. Everything else was fine, predicted all As, excellent reference etc... Strange. King's loss anyway, I think she will make an amazing doctor
    Yes I agree, that is extremely surprising.

Did she get an offer from oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes I agree, that is extremely surprising.

Did she get an offer from oxbridge?
    She didn't apply (patient contact is important to her and the medical courses at Oxbridge have extremely limited clinical contact in the first 3 'pre-clinical' years).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Anyway, where else did you apply (except King's and UCL)? Which ones would you like as your firm & insurance choices?
    I also applied to Imperial and Bart's, haven't heard from either! i would like to put UCL as my firm and Imperial as my insurance, now that is all dependant on whether i get into any!

I dunno whther there is any truth in this but i heard that some of the london schools discuss applicants amongst each other i dunno what to think about that, isn't it illegal or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAM*)
    I also applied to Imperial and Bart's, haven't heard from either! i would like to put UCL as my firm and Imperial as my insurance, now that is all dependant on whether i get into any!

I dunno whther there is any truth in this but i heard that some of the london schools discuss applicants amongst each other i dunno what to think about that, isn't it illegal or something?
    The thing is, say you get standard offers, wouldn't they all be ABB? If so, would you still put down an insurance? hmm, I was pondering about this earlier

As for the london med schools talking to each other - They could do, they are allowed to do it and there is a rumour that sometimes a london medical school will reject you if you have been accepted somewhere else so that they can try and get as many applicants into medical school as possible. The careers' advisor at my school said that it seems quite apparent that the vet schools sometimes discuss applicants together as places are limited and because there are so many amazing applicants, they want to give them all a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    The thing is, say you get standard offers, wouldn't they all be ABB? If so, would you still put down an insurance? hmm, I was pondering about this earlier

As for the london med schools talking to each other - They could do, they are allowed to do it and there is a rumour that sometimes a london medical school will reject you if you have been accepted somewhere else so that they can try and get as many applicants into medical school as possible. The careers' advisor at my school said that it seems quite apparent that the vet schools sometimes discuss applicants together as places are limited and because there are so many amazing applicants, they want to give them all a place.
    Mind my ignorance, it's just that from hearing about yourself and Sam's opinions, you prefer UCL to Imperial.....

Although Imperial is listed the 3rd best uni in the UK overall....

So I take it that for medicine UCL has an even more superb reputation and that it's probably a bit better than imperial? Or is it that the course structure is more appealing than imperial's?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge about this, just that I know for maths/comp sci/physics it is near the top....

ReputationRep:
    Lucy-Yup they would be ABB! i'm not too familiar with the procedure but i thought if you had enough offers you had to put one firm and one insurance hence the other uni's would know where they stand interms of you declining and they can go on to conduct more interviews?

ReputationRep:
    BONO- According to The Times good university guide in terms of Medicine Imperial is slightly better than UCL. As Lucy said they are on par with each other and going to either is a privelage. You have rightly sensed that i myself prefer UCL only slightly though- this is solely based on personal preferences, it's where i feel 'more right' and that matters more when considering where you want to spend six years! i think Lucy would agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAM*)
    BONO- According to The Times good university guide in terms of Medicine Imperial is slightly better than UCL. As Lucy said they are on par with each other and going to either is a privelage. You have rightly sensed that i myself prefer UCL only slightly though- this is solely based on personal preferences, it's where i feel 'more right' and that matters more when considering where you want to spend six years! i think Lucy would agree?
    Yes, I see, so they are pretty much on a par, although you prefer UCL better.

Cool, hope you get the offer then, it would be unfair if they denied you the chance to go where you want to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Mind my ignorance, it's just that from hearing about yourself and Sam's opinions, you prefer UCL to Imperial.....

Although Imperial is listed the 3rd best uni in the UK overall....

So I take it that for medicine UCL has an even more superb reputation and that it's probably a bit better than imperial? Or is it that the course structure is more appealing than imperial's?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge about this, just that I know for maths/comp sci/physics it is near the top....
    I have no doubt that Imperial is amazing for physics/engineering/comp sci etc. but the medical course there is still pretty 'new' (only started in 1998) compared to other unis. The Imperial medical school was formed by merging other medical schools and there were loads of problems at the beginning. Even though the problems seem to have been resolved I am still wary about the course.

The UCL medical school however was also formed from a merger of two parent medical schools which have excellent reputations in both research & teaching. They also have links with world-famous institutions e.g. Great Ormand Street Hospital.

Even though, I'm sure that the course at both Imperial and UCL are probably as good as each other, I'm just still unsure about the reputation of the medical course at Imperial. At first I really wanted to go there (after all it is the 3rd best overall) then I heard about the problems it had and my parents would prefer me to go to UCL, but then the doctors I did work experience with said that Imperial is better than UCL.

Conclusion - I'm a bit clueless really :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I have no doubt that Imperial is amazing for physics/engineering/comp sci etc. but the medical course there is still pretty 'new' (only started in 1998) compared to other unis. The Imperial medical school was formed by merging other medical schools and there were loads of problems at the beginning. Even though the problems seem to have been resolved I am still wary about the course.

The UCL medical school however was also formed from a merger of two parent medical schools which have excellent reputations in both research & teaching. They also have links with world-famous institutions e.g. Great Ormand Street Hospital.

Even though, I'm sure that the course at both Imperial and UCL are probably as good as each other, I'm just still unsure about the reputation of the medical course at Imperial. At first I really wanted to go there (after all it is the 3rd best overall) then I heard about the problems it had and my parents would prefer me to go to UCL, but then the doctors I did work experience with said that Imperial is better than UCL.

Conclusion - I'm a bit clueless really :confused:
    Ahh right, I see now, so imperial is pretty new/less established than that of UCL.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.