The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
SAM*
BONO- According to The Times good university guide in terms of Medicine Imperial is slightly better than UCL. As Lucy said they are on par with each other and going to either is a privelage. You have rightly sensed that i myself prefer UCL only slightly though- this is solely based on personal preferences, it's where i feel 'more right' and that matters more when considering where you want to spend six years! i think Lucy would agree?

Yeah, I definitely think I will end up choosing by personal preference. Quite a few prospective medics at my school are in the same position in choosing UCL vs. Imperial, so hopefully we can all share with each other what the pros & cons are.

As for the whole firm & insurance choices thing - that makes sense now :smile:
Reply 61
bono
Ahh right, I see now, so imperial is pretty new/less established than that of UCL. :smile:

Yeah, I guess so - both are still fab though :biggrin: !
Lucy
Yeah, I guess so - both are still fab though :biggrin: !

Ohhh yes, I wasn't disputing that, just that Imperial seemed to be more talked about than UCL in general, although as you said, for medicine its pretty much even, although UCL seems more respected and established perhaps.

Either way, good luck to both of you! :smile:
Reply 63
bono
Ohhh yes, I wasn't disputing that, just that Imperial seemed to be more talked about than UCL in general, although as you said, for medicine its pretty much even, although UCL seems more respected and established perhaps.

Either way, good luck to both of you! :smile:

lol, thanks :smile: . Imperial is a bit of a weird one anyway - in previous years they have randomly rejected (though I'm sure they have their reasons, however odd) quite a few pretty good medical applicants from my school. Maybe I wont have to despair over making a choice after all :biggrin: !
iv finallllly heard from UCL- (via email??wierd!!) its the first med sch iv heard from!! i have an interview on march 3rd. im scared!!! i dont wanna screw it up/ n e tips on how to "prepare"?
personally id rather go to kings. i was surprised that i heard from UCL first cos ppl normally hear from kings first, then UCL.. i j hope imnot on the 'maybe' pile...
Reply 65
FunkyTeenAngel
iv finallllly heard from UCL- (via email??wierd!!) its the first med sch iv heard from!! i have an interview on march 3rd. im scared!!! i dont wanna screw it up/ n e tips on how to "prepare"?
personally id rather go to kings. i was surprised that i heard from UCL first cos ppl normally hear from kings first, then UCL.. i j hope imnot on the 'maybe' pile...

Hey :smile:

-Know your personal statement inside out
-Know an 'interesting work experience case' and about your voluntary work
-Know an interesting article or two
-Try and think back to what you wrote in your BMAT essay and construct a few arguements for and against the question you answered. In some cases they may ask about the other essay questions in the paper.
-Smile, don't worry if one of your interviewers doesn't talk - stand strong by your arguements if they question your answers.
-The usual 'Why medicine? Why UCL? What are the advantages/disavantages to medicine?'
-Have a question to ask at the end (unless you want to say "no thank you, all my questions have been answered by the prospectus already etc." but I personally think that's a bit of a cop out!)

Anyway, I'm sure you know all these things anyway :wink: Just try and relax - if you go to the preliminary talk/tour then make some new friends and try and enjoy yourself!

Good luck :biggrin: !
thanks for the advice! i dun think i'll b goin 2 the prelim talk.my int's at 10:20 n the prelim is at 9:30 - thata way too early for me to get there! i live a bit far from the place. hey i know this is gna sound dumb but do u have to wear a suit?
Reply 67
FunkyTeenAngel
thanks for the advice! i dun think i'll b goin 2 the prelim talk.my int's at 10:20 n the prelim is at 9:30 - thata way too early for me to get there! i live a bit far from the place. hey i know this is gna sound dumb but do u have to wear a suit?

Definitely dress smartly (all the male interviewers & applicants wore suits and majority of the female applicants wore suits) but by no means wear a suit if you're not comfortable in one. I didn't wear a suit to any of my interviews (including my UCL one) because I reckon I would have looked like a pillock (:tongue:) but instead chose a skirt, shirt (with an over shirt tank top thing) and smart shoes.
Reply 68
FunkyTeenAngel

Just one thing to add to Lucy's top tips! Be prepared to be asked anything, go in with an open mind because they can ';throw' anything at you! Before you answer, take a couple of seconds to quickly think through what you are going to say aswell! Good Luck

Well i got rejected from Kings and got UCL interview on exactly the same dat- strange?
Reply 69
Lucy
...Have a question to ask at the end (unless you want to say "no thank you, all my questions have been answered by the prospectus already etc." but I personally think that's a bit of a cop out!)...

Hey Lucy! how are you? i was really annoyed cause they (UCL) didn't ask me if i had any questions, i had quite a few prepared aswell!!
Reply 70
SAM*
Be prepared to be asked anything, go in with an open mind because they can ';throw' anything at you!

Oo yeah, that's a good one - they can definitely throw odd/unexpected questions at you - my friend went into her Imperial interview and the first question she was asked was "Why did you choose your particular e-mail address?". They might also be downright rude e.g. "Why should we make you a doctor if you're just going to go off and have babies?" lol :tongue:

Anyway, hey Sam! I'm alright thanks :smile: How about you? I have a huge backlog of homework to get through, have left it pretty late as usual :tongue: It's a shame that they didn't ask you if you had any questions especially as you had some prepared. I think it really depends on if you have time to spare or not, they finished 'questioning' me quite early so I think they just wanted to use up the rest of my allocated time slot.
Reply 71
Lucy

Anyway, hey Sam! I'm alright thanks :smile: How about you? I have a huge backlog of homework to get through, have left it pretty late as usual :tongue: It's a shame that they didn't ask you if you had any questions especially as you had some prepared. I think it really depends on if you have time to spare or not, they finished 'questioning' me quite early so I think they just wanted to use up the rest of my allocated time slot.

I;m cool thanks! You know the homework backlog thing i have that problem aswell! although i have been working quite alot this half term- i need the money!

I can't believe you were upset after your interview you done sooo well!

I am expecting to hear within the nest week i'm pretty nervous though! Just hoping for the best! Speak soon-goodnight!x
Reply 72
SAM*
I;m cool thanks! You know the homework backlog thing i have that problem aswell! although i have been working quite alot this half term- i need the money!

I can't believe you were upset after your interview you done sooo well!

I am expecting to hear within the nest week i'm pretty nervous though! Just hoping for the best! Speak soon-goodnight!x

Thanks :smile: I really don't want to go back to school on Monday :tongue: Anyway, fingers (still) crossed! I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, ttysoon :biggrin: !
Reply 73
Lucy
They might also be downright rude e.g. "Why should we make you a doctor if you're just going to go off and have babies?" lol :tongue:

hiya
i thought they couldn't ask u that; my school told me they couldn't ask anything about women's issues, such as babies etc, and anything too kinda messy involving religion or politics. is it not politically correct? and especially cos we're all in a sueing kinda culture, i.e. if some1 doesn't get in, they could say it's unfair they got that question, and they are suing because the interviewers are asking those kinda questions and not liking their answers, ie 'yes i will have kids so yes i will leave the nhs for a while' etc it could lead to a sticky situation. isn't there a law about sex discrimination etc?
btw they will ask you about ethics, like abortion and euthanasia, gentics, cloning etc, tho, so be prepared to tell them the different beliefs of different people, cos it doesn't really matter which side you're on on those issues, it's just explaining you can see both sides of the argument, and u know the law.
x
Reply 74
if i'm wrong tho, please do correct me, i don't really have much faith in what our skool tells us nemore, but it does seem to make sense...
x
Reply 75
C0nnie
if i'm wrong tho, please do correct me, i don't really have much faith in what our skool tells us nemore, but it does seem to make sense...
x

No, your school is completely right, interviewers aren't supposed to ask those sorts of questions. However, I know someone this year who was asked that, maybe it was meant in good humour? She was shocked that she was asked it (rightfully so) but she didn't take the question seriously.
Reply 76
Lucy
No, your school is completely right, interviewers aren't supposed to ask those sorts of questions. However, I know someone this year who was asked that, maybe it was meant in good humour? She was shocked that she was asked it (rightfully so) but she didn't take the question seriously.

really? which uni was that?
x
Reply 77
C0nnie
really? which uni was that?
x

If I remember correctly, it was Imperial :tongue: Not positive if it was Imperial but it was definitely one of the london med schools.
Reply 78
Lucy
If I remember correctly, it was Imperial :tongue: Not positive if it was Imperial but it was definitely one of the london med schools.

oh rite...yea i've heard stories about them not being nice to ppl at interview, but they were all right with me...
did she get an offer there in the end?
x
Reply 79
C0nnie
oh rite...yea i've heard stories about them not being nice to ppl at interview, but they were all right with me...
did she get an offer there in the end?
x

Yeah, the people I know who've had interviews with Imperial have had mixed experiences - either really odd questions (e.g. the e-mail question I mentioned before and "If I came to visit you, where would you take me in the area you live in?"), unfriendly interviewers or really nice interviewers. So, quite a mixture! She did get an offer in the end :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending