The Student Room Group

is 23 too old to start a degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No way is it too old. I might embark on a Masters degree when I am 23.
Reply 21
No its not. Its never to old to go to university! Remember, it's not a race!
No, not at all.
I'm surprised at the support TSRians are giving here :biggrin: no trolls so far, and of course I completely agree - you're never too old to learn.
Reply 24
Original post by char_bosworth
This question has probably been asked loads before but anyway. I'm 22 at the moment and am thinking of applying for a nursing degree course for next year but by that time I will be nearly 23. I originally attended uni when I was 18 but left half way through the second year and since then have been working a full time job trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, blah blah blah, don't want to work a dead end job any more I want a career. I'm just a bit worried about being the oldie in the class although I feel no different to when I was 18 and get on with any ages really. I have read that nursing attracts a lot of older students as well as young but how true is this? also I will be 26!!! when I finish the course, has anyone been to uni at an older age?

I know quite a number of people who have started medicine in my year and they are near 30......

Its never really too late, in fact tbh 22/23 is pretty young, what does it matter? If you are interested in the course and it will present you good career prospects then you would be silly not to do it, pretty much denying yourself good prospects at such a young age.
Reply 25
No way. 20s is still really young. My mum is doing her degree now and she's in her 40s.
Reply 26
This question has probably been asked loads before but anyway. I'm 22 at the moment and am thinking of applying for a nursing degree course for next year but by that time I will be nearly 23. I originally attended uni when I was 18 but left half way through the second year and since then have been working a full time job trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, blah blah blah, don't want to work a dead end job any more I want a career. I'm just a bit worried about being the oldie in the class although I feel no different to when I was 18 and get on with any ages really. I have read that nursing attracts a lot of older students as well as young but how true is this? also I will be 26!!! when I finish the course, has anyone been to uni at an older age?

Someone in my family is started her nursing degree this year and she's in her 40s. Quite a few in my family are nurses and say those who are a bit older can find it a bit easier when it comes to dealing with patients.
Reply 27

So, you'll be 26 and have a nursing degree. That'll mean you'll have a 35 year plus career in front of you. How on earth can you be too old to do it?

I know people who quit their jobs and went to college at 40. (One of them became a dentist after 20 years working in a Pittsburgh steel mill)
My aunt left school and went straight into the police force. She left when she was thirty and started a degree in Social Psychology. Now she has lots of qualifications and for the last ten years has travelled the country lecturing.

It is never too late- she never thought she could afford university so she didn't go, but now she says it was the best choice she has ever made.
Reply 29
It's fine starting at 23. What's worse is starting at 18 and still being there aged 23 :colonhash:
No go for it! If your worried about being one of the oldest, look at the statistics (or try push.co.uk) and choose a uni which has a lot of 'mature' (21+) students, so you know your going to good uni known for that :smile:
I think university at any age is a good goal to complete. As long as you are doing a degree you feel that is going to benefit you in some way in life then I'd say go for it. I may have to do a degree in the coming year at the age of 25, and I also think its better because its gonna be slightly cheaper than the first time round as I am now a 'mature student'.
Reply 32
If op's a dude, its a perfect age to take advantage of those 17/18 year old freshers.
No! I know people who are 30+ who are applying for the same degree as me (nursing).
Reply 34

You're never too old to learn. You're not the first and won't be the last 20 something year old to start uni
Reply 35
Heck no
Reply 36
I'm a first year nursing student on a course of like 400 people, and i would say about half are older than you! Its pretty split evenly between mature/18 year olds. Nursing does attract quite a lot of mature students so no 23 is defo not too old! can guarantee you won't be the oldest :P
Reply 37

That's not too old in the slightest!!
Reply 38
I'm 25 and starting a nursing degree next year, so no you're not too old!
No! I saw a guy who was 70 going to the tutorial opposite mine today! Saying it was his first degree. You're never too old to start :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending