Turn on thread page Beta

What make-up? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a bit of make-up but not much as I don't ever wear it really. My friend put some on me before we went out and I quite liked it, so I might start wearing it when I go out etc.

This might seem like a stupid question but what make-up would I actually need and what are good brands to get. I want to start afresh and get some.

ReputationRep:
    post a pic of yourself and the looks you like. its not really a general thing eg goth look needs white foundation, black lippy etc. but if you like the natural look, maybe lip gloss and clear mascara..

it also depends on your colouring. i have dark eyes and hair which i emphasise with liner and eyeshadows, keeping my lips simple and glossed.

also DO buy a good concealer for a good face-base

ReputationRep:
    I'll try to find a decent pic...but I have blue eyes and very blonde hair.

Don't want to look like a goth lol, or have too much, just normal!

ReputationRep:
    or if you dont want to post yourself, just post a pic you'd like to look like and we might be able to help you recreate the look

ReputationRep:
    get a good tinted moisturiser (i prefer them to foundation anyway) and some powder, benefit is good but quite expensive, otherwise rimmel are good...
    then a decent mascara and eyeliner, definitely essentials...

i dont really wear eyeshadow or lipstick, just lipgloss, juicy tubes are great, or any body shop lipglosses have always been really nice too........

dont spend massive amounts of money, it is only makeup after all

what might be a good idea is to go along somewhere like the body shop or to a benefit counter and get them to show you what looks nice; just explain that you dont really know what suits you and you want to get the basics right.....

ReputationRep:
    my make up consists of No7 eye liner and mascara, ysl lip gloss and blusher from body shop....

you can go to boots and ask the girls at the make up counters for various brands cos they know what theyr talking about and are quite helpful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddweller)
    get a good tinted moisturiser (i prefer them to foundation anyway) and some powder, benefit is good but quite expensive, otherwise rimmel are good...
    then a decent mascara and eyeliner, definitely essentials...

i dont really wear eyeshadow or lipstick, just lipgloss, juicy tubes are great, or any body shop lipglosses have always been really nice too........

dont spend massive amounts of money, it is only makeup after all

what might be a good idea is to go along somewhere like the body shop or to a benefit counter and get them to show you what looks nice; just explain that you dont really know what suits you and you want to get the basics right.....
    it depends tho, i find tinted moisturiser turns my face into oil slick.

eyeliner in the right colour is always good. i dont get why pale girls wear black mascara - it looks fantastic on some, and terrible on others, a brown might be more natural if you are very pale.

the bodyshop do makeup makeovers for £10 - this might help

also, just go into eg boots or superdrug, mess around with the cheapest brands and the testers, just try it all out and see what looks good

ReputationRep:
    Heya i posted this in another post but think it may help a bit

'Hmmm ok when you're first starting out you don't want anything too bold! Just nice and natural until you get the hang of the basics. You need to start building your collection up, if I were you I'd begin with some good quality basics.

*Concealer - get this one or two shades lighter than your skin colour, I use YSL touche eclait but its a bit pricey, I've found the Bourjois paris illuminating concealer almost as good and only around £9

*Tinted moisturiser or very light foundation - I don't wear foundation so I can't reccomend any good ones, I find it too heavy, I just use Revlon skinlights in natural light which evens out my skintone and gives a bit of a glow.

*Powder - you either want a translucent one or one that matches your skintone, I use No7 which is translucent so just takes the shine off of my face and doesnt add any colour. I can't believe i forgot this is the one thing other than mascara I couldn't live without!

*Blush - You want a very natural blush as well, it depends on your skin colour, but nothing to pinky usually, make sure you test them before you buy them! I use YSL agai in shade 2 which has bits of shimmer in it thats really nice but I'm sure again you could get some cheaper

*Eyeliner - I wouldn't go with black to begin with, you want a kohl pencil in either a grey or brown shade. I find rimmel and prestige brands good

*Natural eyeshadows - nothing to bright to begin with, I can't really reccommend any shades because I don't know your skintone, but Bourjois do some nice ones I use Beige rose, its a nice creamy colour. Again try these out before you buy them, you want some nice shimmery browns to begin with I think. No7, Mac and Bourjois are all good brands

*Mascara - Brown black is probably the best colour to begin with, its not quite as harsh as black, I use great lash mascara by maybelline, its not very expensive, but its the best mascara I've found

*Brow Kit - or just a brow brush, and some good tweezers!! Brows shape the face so make sure they're the right shape. All a brow kit does is fill the brows making them look fuller. I use either Bourjois eyebrow pencil in Chatain or colorsport brow grooming kit. you don't want to go too dark though and I brush a bit of powder over the top to set the brow and make them look more natural

*Lipgloss - A clear gloss is good to begin with. Juicy tubes are also lovely. My fave at the mo is max factor silk gloss, but this is part where you can have fun! Again it all depends on your skin colour

*Tools - Eyelash curlers, brow brush, blusher brush, Eyeshadow brush

Ok so that's a basic makeup kit. you obviously don't need all of it if you don't want, thats just what I'd reccomend. Make-ups all about fun and experimentation so once you've got a hang of the basics the possibilities are endless!! If you want any help with specifics just ask =D

A few tips
    *pat concealer instead of rubbing it in, you usually get more on your finger than anywhere else if you do that

*BLEND the foundation as much as possible, tide lines aren't good

*When using the blusher tap the brush on your hand before brushing it across your cheeks for a more subtle look, smile and brush it onto the apples of your cheeks.

*Eyeliner takes a while to get the hang of, if you pull your eyelind with one hand and apply it wit the other its a lot easier, I also use a smudge brush afterwards to make the lines a bit more blended.

*Use a highlighter on thr browbone but make sure its not too light or too dark, you want it quite natural but with a slight shimmer

*If using a brow pencil use light feathery strokes to get a more natural look

*Curl the eyelashes before putting on mascara

*Look down into the mirror when putting mascara on your top lashes, it stops so much from getting on your lid.

Ermmm I can't think of anymore right now, hope at least a couple of those helped'

ReputationRep:
    Excellent reply above! My basics are foundation, concelear, powder, blusher and mascara. I use Clinique foundation (but a good cheaper one I've found is Max Factor Colour Adapt), just start by applying a tiny bit in the centre of your face, blend outwards and add more if you need it. Then I apply Rimmel Hide The Blemish concealer, best concealer I've found and it's only about 3 quid. Then I use a little powder, the one I use is make-up by tesco, its really good and very fine so it looks natural. I finish my applying a coat of black mascara (I have dark hair, with blonde hair you'd want to use something paler) and a sweep of blusher across the cheeks or, if its summer, a bronzing stick.

ReputationRep:
    Just randomly, brands that most people seem to use:

Rimmel: moderately priced, nicely packaged, does what it says on the tin. For mid-price, solid make-up I favour Rimmel.

Max Factor: In my experience they have an 'old-fashioned' approach to make-up but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Nicely priced stuff which works, though the packaging isn't brilliant.

Clinique: More up-market, quite a 'high-tech' approach to make-up. Works amazingly for some people, for others just average. Lovely packaging and a good colour range.

No7: Good range of colours/consistencies on foundation, feels like good quality when you test it. Good for toners and moisturisers. Good price for what you're getting and nicely packaged.

Bourgoise: Eyeshadows very good, lots of colours. Possibly slightly over-priced for what you're getting - an item or two to brighten up your make-up box perhaps.

Maybelline: Brilliant mascaras. 'Great Lash' is a make-up staple, and 'XXL' is the new one where you have a white layer then a black layer. Very reliable and you have to work hard to make it clump. They also do the new 'mousse' foundation and blush which has mixed reviews (never tried it personally).

L'Oreal: Again, I see this as a bit of a 'party' brand with tons of colours in lip gloss and eyeshadow. Fun to mess about at their make-up counter testing colours.

Mac: Slightly more expensive but seems to have one great product for everyone.

BeneFit: Expensive stuff, but is meant to be absolutely amazing.

Personally, I use Max Factor foundation, Rimmel translucent powder and blush and Maybelline mascara. I keep Bourgoise eyeshadows and No7 lipstick (creamy and subtle) for nighttime.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, great replies! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I wear make up a lot of the time but I don't own a lot of it. Here's my list - although be warned that it IS geared towards an 'alternative' look.

- Really decent foundation - I use Max Factor 'Colour Adapt' in the palest shade that exists.
    - Powder - Maybelline translucent.
    - Liquid eyeliner in black and purple, both Urban Decay.
    - A couple of lipsticks in deep reddish-purple - one's Collection 2000 I think.
    - Mascara - Rimmel, some random one.
    - Lots and lots of eyeshadows and iridescent powders - mostly Stargazer and Urban Decay.

I don't think you need a load of fancy brushes, eyelash combs/curlers and so on.

I put on a small amount of foundation, pat a bit of powder over it smooth on a couple of colours of eyeshadow then add mascara, eyeliner and a touch of lipstick.

ReputationRep:
    i dont see the point to foundation. personally i just occasionally use a powder. if you're only just starting out with makeup... dont bother...

you could get away with simple...
    mascara
    eyeliner (maybe a liquid one as well)
    collection of eyeshadow colours (mac do REALLY good ones, all the colours are lovely in them)
    clear lipgloss

maybe get a blush/highlighter. to be honest experimenting is fun... hehe. be careful with the instore makeovers. some can be dodgey, even if you pay!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's funny how people with daker complexions always complain that there aren't any foundation/make up shades that match their skin tone - I'm a very very pale-skinned strawberry blonde and I find it impossible to buy make up that doesn't make me look like a wannabe transvestite (no insult to any transvestites out there!).

I know it's a ridiculously cheap brand, but Collection 2000 is the only brand that I've found a pale enough foundation and concealer in. I use their foundation in "Sheer Porcelain" and their Concearler in No. 11, "Nude." I think my problem is that my skin tone is blue based rather than yellow based, and unfortunately 90% of the population is yellow or red toned. *Sigh*

Having said this, choosing make up other than a base is quite easy really. As I have grey/green eyes I can carry off a number of colours, namely:
    *jade greens and turquoises
    *smudgy greys
    *golden sandy colours
    *taupes
    *very pale lilacs - anything too dark and I get the 'black eye' effect

I'm kinda high maintenance when it comes to make-up, and I rarely go out without any on. My profile pic should give an idea of my 'natural' look. The usual list is:
    *Foundation/tinted moisturiser
    *Concealer
    *Pale blusher
    *2 shades of eyeshadow (one for lid, one to highlight brow bone)
    *Powdered eyeliner
    *Mascara
    *Lipliner
    *Lipstick

If I want a night-time look then I'll use an eyeshadow with a bit of sparkle/shimmer and maybe use one a few shades darker. Some highlighter on the browbone and cheekbones can look purdy too if done with a cautious hand. I normally use a dark grey eyeshadow with a damp thin eyeshadow brush to do my eyeliner (it gives a less harsh effect than pencil), but sometimes it's nice to use liquid eyeliner to get that 'kitten' effect. If you're pale/have light hair then it's better to do a smoky eye using a palette of greys or browns rather than full on black - will stop you looking like a goth! All you need to remember is that the darkest colour is nearest to your lashline, and the colours should diffuse outwards, with the lightest being just above the crease.

As far as lips go, gloss can wear off really quickly when drinking/eating, so it's sometimes better to use a lipstick or stain when going out. At the moment, I'm loving a bright, cherry red lip with (faked!) perfect skin and a lick of mascara - really simple, quick, and easy, but very effective. Think Gwen Stefani and you've got the idea!

However, the most important part for me is a set of well groomed eyebrows. Just using a little vaseline on them makes a HUGE difference, and I generally pluck every 3 days to get the 'perfect arch.' I really hate eyebrows that are thin and over-plucked - it looks so common...

As I've said I love Collection 2000 for bargain basement foundation but I'm also a fan of Nars, Mac, Benefit (probs my fave!), and Stila.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2006
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.