The Student Room Group

What are some good Universities to study Computer Science?

Hi folks!

What are some good Universities to study Information & Computer Security?

Be Good! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

He said good university not "okay" university
Reply 3
Original post by ComputerTune
He said good university not "okay" university

Royal Holloway is godly, never mind "good", for Information Security, from what I hear. And not just because Sophie Neveu from the Da Vinci Code studied there. ;(
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dreizhen
Royal Holloway is godly, never mind "good", for Information Security, from what I hear. And not just because Sophie Neveu from the Da Vinci Code studied there. ;(

Yeah stop dreaming. RHUL is extremely overrated OP, if you want good job don't go there.
Reply 5
Honestly, I 've never heard of them being classified even as a 'good' university. In fact it is the first time i hear of them! Probably an underclass London uni. In the guardian, it is ranked 57th and their program looks like a copycat of UCL's. The government doesn't take them seriously i think , else they would be a national center of excellence for the country's own security,. Sophie Nevau is not a good example. That's just a movie!!

and having looked at the website posted above, it looks ancient.. lol that what i think. I think Abertay Dundee is much better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Cambridge, Oxford, Leeds, Birmingham, Leicester, City...theres quite a few. Then there's Edinburgh and St. Andrews not to mention Imperial
Reply 7
The usual ones at the top. Edinburgh is good and has a great Informatics department. Studied it for two years there. Wrong course for me but can't fault the department or the staff, plus they have a lovely shiny new building JUST for informatics in the city centre.
Reply 8
York, Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, St Andrews...
Reply 9
Edinburgh has an awesome computing department!
Edinburgh, Cam, Ox, Imp, UCL, Soton, Bristol.
Imperial is brilliant.

There is some aura surrounding it that would actually push me to pick imperial over oxbridge computer science. It is my top choice.

Southampton is also an extremely good uni for comp sci and they are more approachable than oxbridge/imp. I believe they were ranked second in research by the RAE. Certainly says something.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by House Dagoth
Imperial is brilliant.

There is some aura surrounding it that would actually push me to pick imperial over oxbridge computer science. It is my top choice.

Southampton is also an extremely good uni for comp sci and they are more approachable than oxbridge/imp. I believe they were ranked second in research by the RAE. Certainly says something.

I thought the same when I applied to Imperial and Oxford, but when the offers came in I chose Oxford in the end. Having spoken to people at Imperial, I do not regret my choice one bit.

Are you applying this year?
Original post by Fallen
I thought the same when I applied to Imperial and Oxford, but when the offers came in I chose Oxford in the end. Having spoken to people at Imperial, I do not regret my choice one bit.

yep. :smile:

comp sci @imperial
comp sci with maths @soton, nottingham, bristol
maths @Warwick
Reply 14
Original post by lionelmessi2
Probably an underclass London uni. In the guardian, it is ranked 57th and their program looks like a copycat of UCL's. .

Or maybe UCL's program is a copy of Royal Holloway's

jus' sayin
Reply 15
UCL is really good for Computer Science, I also applied to Cambridge and Imperial and don't regret it a single second coming here... and I know people from both other Universities. They also changed the course this year, which made it (apparently) quite a bit harder but also more useful. And I'm really looking forward to program a Robot next term.
Though I looked at Royal Holloway's course outline and it doesn't look too similar.
Original post by Rosswold
UCL is really good for Computer Science, I also applied to Cambridge and Imperial and don't regret it a single second coming here... and I know people from both other Universities. They also changed the course this year, which made it (apparently) quite a bit harder but also more useful. And I'm really looking forward to program a Robot next term.
Though I looked at Royal Holloway's course outline and it doesn't look too similar.

UCL is one of my top choice for CS, I had to get my school to send them an email explaining why I didn't do a language for GCSE (had a valid reason) which I hope doesn't stop them giving me an interview/offer.
any redbrick uni
Reply 18
Manchester from what I've been told.
Reply 19
Original post by Fallen

What do people say about Imperial?

I've applied to both Oxford and Imperial, but I'm thinking I'll probably end up at Imperial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending