Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Catholic Society watch

Announcements

(Original post by minimo)
    erm, I just heard it on TV at around the time when the previous Pope died. (It was BBC World, to be precise.)
    I'll take that with a pinch of unsubstantiated salt then!

ReputationRep:
    As regards married priests, etc; isn't it true that all priests are married anyway? Married devoutly to God and the Church!
    Priests take vows as in the marriage ceremony and promise to serve in sickness and health, etc.
    What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    I don't particularly like the idea of married priests. Women yes - but married no.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that the Church should remain as it is; pure to Christianity and to God, unlike the Anglicans!

(Original post by EnglishDude)
    I believe that the Church should remain as it is; pure to Christianity and to God, unlike the Anglicans!
    The ordination of women and the acceptance of practising homosexual vicars/priests has certainly created a schism within the Anglican community worldwide.

I think the thing that cements Catholicism is her unwavering adherence to what is taught in the Gospels despite the moral relativism of modern society and having one leader in her apostolic succession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

I think the thing that cements Catholicism is her unwavering adherence to what is taught in the Gospels despite the moral relativism of modern society and having one leader in her apostolic succession.
    this is what i love about this religion. it DOESNT change with the times. sometimes its hard to be countercultural but i think its moral too.

what does anyone think about the reformation of RC schools ?

(Original post by shinytoy)
    this is what i love about this religion. it DOESNT change with the times. sometimes its hard to be countercultural but i think its moral too.

what does anyone think about the reformation of RC schools ?
    In what way are they being reformed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    The ordination of women and the acceptance of practising homosexual vicars/priests has certainly created a schism within the Anglican community worldwide.
    It certainly has. And that's a very good reason why not to tar Anglicanism with the same brush. I am a member of the Orthodox Anglican Communion which certainly does not ordain women or homosexuals.

(Original post by Howard)
    It certainly has. And that's a very good reason why not to tar Anglicanism with the same brush. I am a member of the Orthodox Anglican Communion which certainly does not ordain women or homosexuals.

Exactly.

That is the danger of schism - a Church ceases to be what it traditionally teaches when you have groups that create dissension and consequent 'break-aways'.
    It has happened to a certain extent in the Catholic Church too with such sects as 'Old Catholics' and 'Old Roman Catholics' - I mean, what do they stand for?

**** knows!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    also, crow i dont mean to be nasty but if you are bi, it means you CAN be with people of the opposite sex to your original gender. so maybe you should be straight.
    i really dont understand trans theory but i think if its something you are born with then its ok.

also, the Catholic religion doesnt allow sexual contact before marriage anyway. so just dont sleep with any men OR women.
    i am bi because i love people because of their mind not their physical appearence which includes body. possibly because im physically female but know im not.

and yes i am being serious!!!:rolleyes:

(Original post by The Crow)
    i am bi because i love people because of their mind not their physical appearence which includes body. possibly because im physically female but know im not.

and yes i am being serious!!!:rolleyes:
    What sort of response have you had to the same posts about your problems that you put on all the society threads that are related to differing faith groups?

ReputationRep:
    yes but there is different ways of liking. if it is in a lustful/sexual way then that is wrong. in the bible it says to treat each other like 'brother or sister'. so by that definition you can love many people of any gender, just not sexually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Exactly.

That is the danger of schism - a Church ceases to be what it traditionally teaches when you have groups that create dissension and consequent 'break-aways'.
    It has happened to a certain extent in the Catholic Church too with such sects as 'Old Catholics' and 'Old Roman Catholics' - I mean, what do they stand for?

**** knows!
    Pah! Nothing wrong with Old Catholics or "Dutch Catholics" as they are sometimes known. They split from Rome when the Pope announced he was infallible and you know my opinion on that.

Seems to me that these Old Catholics place a higher value on the truth of scripture than Rome and are less open to accepting invented doctrine and Romish error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I don't particularly like the idea of married priests. Women yes - but married no.
    Can't say I see your reasoning. There is no scripture that requires celebacy in the priesthood and the Roman Church, for the first 1200 odd years of its life permitted married priests. Indeed, St Peter himself was married.

On the other hand there is a good deal of scripture than prohibits women in the priesthood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Exactly.

But in this case it was the Episcopal Church that strayed from what the Church had always taught which is why the "continuing church movement" and later the Orthodox Anglican Communion came into being. And rightly so.

If the RC suddenly decided to teach that Christ was not infact the Incarnate God would you accept that? (Actually, and very interestingly I suppose you'd have to since such a pronouncement would be ex cathedra and the Pope is after all "infallable" on matters so pronounced )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)

If the RC suddenly decided to teach that Christ was not infact the Incarnate God would you accept that? (Actually, and very interestingly I suppose you'd have to since such a pronouncement would be ex cathedra and the Pope is after all "infallable" on matters so pronounced )
    Yes we would have to accept it, and your right the Pope is infalliable so we kinda have to accept it.....whatever the Pope says goes :p:

ReputationRep:
    i think priests should be allowed to marry. but not be gay or trans.

(Original post by Tomásíona - Mháire)
    Yes we would have to accept it, and your right the Pope is infalliable so we kinda have to accept it.....whatever the Pope says goes :p:
    I just love the Irish!

That showed him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomásíona - Mháire)
    Really? So you'd actually put the infallibility of the Pope which Rome didn't even declare as doctrine until about 1860 before the Revelation of Christ as delivered unto the Church in the New Testament and before the nature of the Faith as decided and stated in the ancient creeds developed at the full councils of the Church?

Remarkable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I just love the Irish!

That showed him.
    It showed me how dangerously rudderless and at odds with the Faith, delivered once and for all time, the Roman Church could potentially become.

And ironically it stinks of protestantism btw. The Pope has a revelation that there is no Trinity, announces it as infallible, and a new creed is born.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.