TSR Catholic Society Watch

adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by De Lubac)
What does everyone think of Coptic Icons?

I really Love them!

Here is the best website I have found to order them, I don't know about delivery/shipping charges, but the Icons themselves are very reasonably priced:

http://www.theotokos.org/church-icons/

I really love their use of scale in the Icons, with Christ and often Mary and the Saints being huge, and others paling in comparison...
I've got an icon of our Blessed Lady next to my bed

I've also bought (but for another person) one from this website. It's stunning.
Diety
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adamrules247)
Because this thread is for Catholics to chat among themselves, not for some kid with a slavish devotion to the new atheist movement to try and bait us. I've reported you to the mods either way.

And that debate :rofl:
I think this is a bit of an over reaction, we have theists (and even Bakmouth!) coming on the atheist soc thread asking questions (here) and we answered their questions, why is it not the same here, I am not aware of any rules preventing it.
I thought the debate was quite good, its even sided, relevant to Catholicism, what's wrong with sharing it with the relevant group of people.
By the way, I wasn't 'baiting' you, it was a reasonable question with no harm meant, you guys are really touchy, if you can't answer the question, just say :rolleyes:
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Diety)
I think this is a bit of an over reaction, we have theists (and even Bakmouth!) coming on the atheist soc thread asking questions (here) and we answered their questions, why is it not the same here, I am not aware of any rules preventing it.
I thought the debate was quite good, its even sided, relevant to Catholicism, what's wrong with sharing it with the relevant group of people.
By the way, I wasn't 'baiting' you, it was a reasonable question with no harm meant, you guys are really touchy, if you can't answer the question, just say :rolleyes:
Tu quoque fallacy.

Now push off.

EDIT: Nice one negging me :rolleyes:
LysFromParis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tu quoque fallacy.

Now push off.

EDIT: Nice one negging me :rolleyes:
I actually agree with him, there is no reason to not answer his questions. He has not been offensive so far.

To respond to the debate is the Catholic a force of good ?

I don't know in the UK but here you have "Secours Catholique" which helps the poor and the weak, without religious discrimination. There is other association hosting people in the needs, working in hospital etc. At least in France it's the only religions giving something back to the whole society and not only its member.

I think it's also less conservative and more open to the world than most new churches. The Church is big, so I suppose it's also depends to what "current" you are a part of.

Edit : I'm looking the video. I would be curious to see if there is a "Is Islam a force of good ?" debate. I think it told a lot about Catholic tolerance.

For the condom stuff he takes it out of context. It's quite easy to single out a single sentence, the Pope was saying condom is not the solution, respect of marriage and having a single woman/man is (which is kind of true).

For the if you are not part of the Church you won't go to heaven : it's simply false. Catholic prey for the mercy of God be given to those who not follow.

Most compassionate Jesus, You are the Light of the whole world. Receive into the abode of Your Most Compassionate Heart the souls of those who do not believe in God and of those who as yet do not know You. Let the rays of Your grace enlighten them that they, too, together with us, may extol Your wonderful mercy; and do not let them escape from the abode which is Your Most Compassionate Heart.

Eternal Father, turn Your merciful gaze upon the souls of those who do not believe in You, and of those who as yet do not know You, but who are enclosed in the Most Compassionate Heart of Jesus. Draw them to the light of the Gospel. These souls do not know what great happiness it is to love You. Grant that they, too, may extol the generosity of Your mercy for endless ages. Amen.
St Faustina, Paryer of the fourth day of the Divine Mercy

WW2 a lot of Catholic priest are recognized by the Israel state as "Just" to have saved Jews.
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LysFromParis)
I actually agree with him, there is no reason to not answer his questions. He has not been offensive so far.

To respond to the debate is the Catholic a force of good ?

I don't know in the UK but here you have "Secours Catholique" which helps the poor and the weak, without religious discrimination. There is other association hosting people in the needs, working in hospital etc. At least in France it's the only religions giving something back to the whole society and not only its member.

I think it's also less conservative and more open to the world than most new churches. The Church is big, so I suppose it's also depends to what "current" you are a part of.

Edit : I'm looking the video. I would be curious to see if there is a "Is Islam a force of good ?" debate. I think it told a lot about Catholic tolerance.
It's always been the general rule, there's a specific 'Ask a Christian Thread' to ask Christians questions, this is our private forum to discuss among ourselves.

You haven't come across this user before, he's one of those angry atheist you hear about. He posted that debate because it's essentially a fit up, putting a Nigerian bishop who didn't have a clue about the debate and a politician against a popular celebrity atheist (Fry) and Hitchens, two masters of rhetoric meaning it was always going to be obvious who would win. He's simply posting it to taunt us.
Diety
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's always been the general rule, there's a specific 'Ask a Christian Thread' to ask Christians questions, this is our private forum to discuss among ourselves.

You haven't come across this user before, he's one of those angry atheist you hear about. He posted that debate because it's essentially a fit up, putting a Nigerian bishop who didn't have a clue about the debate and a politician against a popular celebrity atheist (Fry) and Hitchens, two masters of rhetoric meaning it was always going to be obvious who would win. He's simply posting it to taunt us.
Toodle pip chaps. :hat2:

EDIT: Angry atheist am I?

ok, ok, I'm going :getmecoat:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks Adam
LysFromParis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Ok, I was not aware of the rules, sorry. I have no idea who the people on the debate were ^^. I find UK a very angry society towards religions. Reading newspaper, France seems to be a hell of enforced secularism, while in fact here everything is much more peaceful.
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok, I was not aware of the rules, sorry. I have no idea who the people on the debate were ^^. I find UK a very angry society towards religions. Reading newspaper, France seems to be a hell of enforced secularism, while in fact here everything is much more peaceful.
That's okay

Yep, Britain's a very anti religious society, that's what happens when you have a reformation.
De Lubac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's okay

Yep, Britain's a very anti religious society, that's what happens when you have a reformation.
I'm not too sure if I agree...

Britain has a strange mixture of people who are very for religion, and some who are very against, but most of the country are pretty indifferent. I think that you only hear about the extreme cases, as they sell more papers.

Also, Catholicism and Islam get particularly bad reputations in the UK, mainly because of two reasons, firstly (and I think more significantly) we and the Muslims are the two largest religions that contrast the most with secularism and secondly because of historical 'problems' since the reformation.
lessthan0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's okay

That's a very extreme and I think erroneous thing to say. As much as I love being a Catholic I think the reformation (whilst obviously divisive and wrong in some aspects) also forced the Church to look at some key problems with in it, such as the corruption that led to church licenses for brothels, allowance with taxation of priests with mistresses and the whole business of indulgences.

It's also a silly thing to say in an age when given increased secularism, a population increasing in non-Christian populace and a specific hardening of hearts towards Catholics in particular, when a spirit of inclusion, love and cooperation is amongst the most important things we can extend to our Protestant brothers and sisters.

This is just my view, but I'd be interested to hear your views, Adam?

EDIT: I also agree with De Lubac's point about indifference...
LysFromParis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not too sure if I agree...

Britain has a strange mixture of people who are very for religion, and some who are very against, but most of the country are pretty indifferent. I think that you only hear about the extreme cases, as they sell more papers.

Also, Catholicism and Islam get particularly bad reputations in the UK, mainly because of two reasons, firstly (and I think more significantly) we and the Muslims are the two largest religions that contrast the most with secularism and secondly because of historical 'problems' since the reformation.
Oh yes, I have to remember Catholic are a minority in UK, however I never saw angry secularist on French TV nor any angry religious people (does not mean there is no jokes about Catholic or other religion, but we don't have the kind of debate you have here). I though the British society to be much more tolerant than France but in fact it's really the other way around.

Maybe it's because France shifted to a secular society more than a century ago, so tension had mostly disappeared. Is Catholic hatred caused by the Irish War ? Or other historical reason ?
De Lubac
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh yes, I have to remember Catholic are a minority in UK, however I never saw angry secularist on French TV nor any angry religious people (does not mean there is no jokes about Catholic or other religion, but we don't have the kind of debate you have here). I though the British society to be much more tolerant than France but in fact it's really the other way around.

Maybe it's because France shifted to a secular society more than a century ago, so tension had mostly disappeared. Is Catholic hatred caused by the Irish War ? Or other historical reason ?
I don't think it is the Irish war, Catholics have been disliked in the UK since before that. Modern criticisms generally are regarding Papal Authority (again not an old problem) and contraception, as well as women Priests and Homosexuality.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think it is the Irish war, Catholics have been disliked in the UK since before that. Modern criticisms generally are regarding Papal Authority (again not an old problem) and contraception, as well as women Priests and Homosexuality.
It's pretty old. that was one of the issues during the dissolutions in Henry 8th's time!
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's okay

The reformation gave rise to puritanical extremism so I'm not sure I see your point.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
Hey, there, any Catholics I can ask a few questions please?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
Hey, there, any Catholics I can ask a few questions please?
You can PM me, since we've had banter before, but this is not an "Ask A Catholic" thread generally :yes:

Edit: Actually it depends what you want. I'm too ill for hardcore debates about contraception and the Pope, etc :sadnod:
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
You can PM me, since we've had banter before, but this is not an "Ask A Catholic" thread generally :yes:

Edit: Actually it depends what you want. I'm too ill for hardcore debates about contraception and the Pope, etc :sadnod:
:lolwut:

:p:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
:lolwut:

:p:
I don't get it. Did I say something silly? :ninja:
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I don't get it. Did I say something silly? :ninja:
I was being rude
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.32%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (119)
40.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise