TSR Catholic Society Watch

The Crow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shinytoy)
i think priests should be allowed to marry. but not be gay or trans.
and why not?! its how you're born. you cant change it.:mad:
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Crow)
and why not?! its how you're born. you cant change it.:mad:
Not proven. Plus its irrelevant anyway.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've been thinking...how many Catholics would think it's appropriate to get into a relationship with a non-Catholic albeit practicing Christian guy? Coz I had to listen to someone rant against this a few days ago and I'm not sure where I stand.
EnglishDude
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
No I feel it's best to marry your own to be honest- it would provide the most supportive grounding for a family. That's not to say that mixed relationships are not always as supportive- it's just my opinion that it would be better if both partners are Catholic. Also this would make it easier to get to mass and save trouble over baptisms!
If I were to be in a relationship with a non-Catholic I feel I would find it a challenge and may weaken my faith in the future. Yet, whatever their religion any marriage would have to take place within the Catholic Church and the children must be baptised into the Catholic Church.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Marriage?? I was thinking more in terms of dating.... :p: And assuming he's fine with the no pre-marital sex thing etc.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Coz in the end it's what sort of person you are like isn't it? I know Catholic guys who come to mass each and every sunday but are players.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by EnglishDude)
No I feel it's best to marry your own to be honest- it would provide the most supportive grounding for a family. That's not to say that mixed relationships are not always as supportive- it's just my opinion that it would be better if both partners are Catholic. Also this would make it easier to get to mass and save trouble over baptisms!
If I were to be in a relationship with a non-Catholic I feel I would find it a challenge and may weaken my faith in the future. Yet, whatever their religion any marriage would have to take place within the Catholic Church and the children must be baptised into the Catholic Church.
My wife is RC. I'm Orthodox Anglican. Kids both baptized RC. We have a toss up over where we worship and tend to split it 50/50 Hardly the most important thing in our lives (it's not much of a cause of argument - we have bigger things to worry about) but sometimes she goes with her bunch and I go with mine purely because I can't take Communion at a RC church.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, so long as my kids are RC and I go to mass, I don't see what's wrong. I would never be tempted to convert or anything.
awkward_eagle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would much prefer to be in a relationship with a Catholic guy. I think it's a wonderful thing to share your faith and be able to worship God together. However, I wouldn't have a problem being in a relationship with a non-Catholic guy. It would make things harder, but if you loved each other then you'd find a way to make it work.
Ossie1701
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Surely love would overcome something as trivial as difference between the faith of two Christians? I can understand there would be difficulty in a relationship between say, a muslim and a Catholic - but a member of the Church of England and a Catholic?!
There are differences, agreed - but they are not really that drastic!
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ossie1701)
Surely love would overcome something as trivial as difference between the faith of two Christians? I can understand there would be difficulty in a relationship between say, a muslim and a Catholic - but a member of the Church of England and a Catholic?!
There are differences, agreed - but they are not really that drastic!
There could be enormous problems when it comes to the first hurdle to be overcome.

The Wedding followed by The Baptism!

Ecumenism has not moved far enough yet to sweep away the fundamental differences between the two faith groups.

If both partners come from devoutly practicing familes, this can also cause deep-rooted problems caused by in-law dissent that sometimes the deepest love cannot assuage.
Ossie1701
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it is a matter of how devout the individuals are - for example, I am a Roman Catholic and would have no problem marrying a Protestant women.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But even if you do marry a Protestant - that doesn't mean that YOU don't need to be devout. I suppose there are different degrees of Protestanism to consider as well, say CofE v Southern Evangelical Baptist.
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i woulwnt want to date a non christian as when you have kids, which church would they go to?
EnglishDude
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I do not see that much of a problem marrying an Anglican as long as they conform to Catholic Social teaching- i.e. make a formal agreement with the Bishop to marry in a Catholic Church, within Catholic law, and all children are to be baptised Catholics.
If she converted it would be useful too! lol.
fr browne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i woulwnt want to date a non christian as when you have kids, which church would they go to?
Big difference between dating and having kids.
Daragh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If they werent Christian they wouldnt have a church. :confused:
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fr browne)
Big difference between dating and having kids.
this is something i dont get.
us Catholics, we are not allowed to have physical relationships for fun. therefore, dating people should only date Catholics. as the main purpose of dating is to love the person, and for us love leads ultimately to marriage, then having kids.

so therfore we cannot date non Catholics??
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
this is something i dont get.
us Catholics, we are not allowed to have physical relationships for fun. therefore, dating people should only date Catholics. as the main purpose of dating is to love the person, and for us love leads ultimately to marriage, then having kids.

so therfore we cannot date non Catholics??
Since dating does not automatically lead to sex or marriage, I can see no reason why you shouldn't date anybody you want to.

...and beside, it is not correct that you are not allowed to have physical relationships for 'fun'. In marriage, sexual intercourse is not necessarily a precursor to conceiving a child as evidenced by the Church's teaching on natural family planning.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't see anything wrong in dating non-Catholics. I would probably date a Christian though, just coz they should hopefully be more willing to accept my views on sex before marriage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (60)
19.74%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (120)
39.47%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.79%

Watched Threads