TSR Catholic Society Watch

History-Student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Have you tried typing the lyrics you do remember into Google?
Many, many, many times. I may have actually gone a bit insane & even went through my school's council archives (at least the bit that's availble online), since there were mentions of the school plays in one Google finding.

It's like they never existed outside the school, which also can't be true since the tape they played every year to teach you the songs was kids from a different school.

I think being off work has left me with too much time on my hands & made me a bit obsessed Sorry for the inane rambling, just needed to vent & this seemed like the least ridiculous place to do it given the subject matter. I'll go back to lurking now :lurk:
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by History-Student)
For some reason I've got the songs from my primary school's Easter play stuck in my head, but despite my best efforts I can't find them online.

Only being able to remember half the lyrics to songs drives me absolutely mad :mad2:
Perhaps Someone is trying to tell you something
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Many, many, many times. I may have actually gone a bit insane & even went through my school's council archives (at least the bit that's availble online), since there were mentions of the school plays in one Google finding.

It's like they never existed outside the school, which also can't be true since the tape they played every year to teach you the songs was kids from a different school.

I think being off work has left me with too much time on my hands & made me a bit obsessed Sorry for the inane rambling, just needed to vent & this seemed like the least ridiculous place to do it given the subject matter. I'll go back to lurking now :lurk:
Don't lurk! It's not insane rambling! We had a rich singing tradition at my primary school and that is something that has stayed with me and that I thank God for

I know I've already posted about it but I'm honestly amazed by the wealth of spiritual material that is free on iTunes. Listening to an interesting radio interview about contemplative prayer. I've got a good feeling I can learn a lot :yep:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OK, a question to everyone:

When doing the rosary, do you say an Our Father followed by 10 Haily Marys, or do you say 10 Hail Marys followed by an Our Father (and obviously the Glory Be and 'O my Jesus')? I ask because Sinhala Catholics do it the latter way but a sheet I have been using to memorise the Hail Holy Queen prayer says you start with the Our Father :dontknow:
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OK, a question to everyone:

When doing the rosary, do you say an Our Father followed by 10 Haily Marys, or do you say 10 Hail Marys followed by an Our Father (and obviously the Glory Be and 'O my Jesus')? I ask because Sinhala Catholics do it the latter way but a sheet I have been using to memorise the Hail Holy Queen prayer says you start with the Our Father :dontknow:
The Way I do it is this (I think this is the standard thing, though I add some prayers on).

Sign of the Cross
Come Holy Spirit
Apostles Creed
Our Father
Three Hail Marys (whilst focusing on Faith, Hope and Charity)
Glory Be.

1st Decade
Our Father
10 Hail Marys
Glory Be
Fatima Prayer
Our Lady Help of Christians (I only know 4 other people who do this)
2nd Decade
Our Father
10 Hail Marys
Glory Be
Fatima Prayer
Our Lady Help of Christians
3rd Decade
Our Father
10 Hail Marys
Glory Be
Fatima Prayer
4th Decade
Our Father
10 Hail Marys
Glory Be
Fatima Prayer
5th Decade
Our Father
10 Hail Marys
Glory Be
Fatima Prayer

Hail Holy Queen
Rosary Prayer
Prayer to St. Michael
Guardian Angel Prayer
Go through some saints
Sign of the Cross.
Anna_Karenina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're agnostic, may I kindly ask you to refrain from posting in here. This is for believing/practising Catholics to talk to each other without interference or abuse from others :yes:

But my original question is directly linked to your request above. If I am an enthusiastic member- baptised and confirmed- of the Catholic Church but I don't believe explicitly in any kind of christian or indeed Abrahamic God. Am I no longer, in any conceivable way a Catholic? Or if I am, what kind of Catholic am I?

Hmmm.... I may broach this subject with Christopher Hill.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anna_Karenina)
But my original question is directly linked to your request above. If I am an enthusiastic member- baptised and confirmed- of the Catholic Church but I don't believe explicitly in any kind of christian or indeed Abrahamic God. Am I no longer, in any conceivable way a Catholic? Or if I am, what kind of Catholic am I?

If you're baptised a Catholic you're technically always a Catholic even if you lose faith or are excommunicated. However being a practising Catholic does require a belief in the Christian or Abrahamic God. So I guess that does put you in the agnostic camp, even if you're baptised and confirmed.

Look at the creed:

"We believe in one God
The Father Almighty
Creator of Heaven and earth
Of all that is seen and unseen".

:yes:
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anna_Karenina)

The key thing is that if you don't believe is that you must not take the Eucharist.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're agnostic, may I kindly ask you to refrain from posting in here. This is for believing/practising Catholics and Ethereal to talk to each other without interference or abuse from others :yes:
Fixed :p:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
I thought you believe the important things but haven't been baptised? :dontknow: In any case, of course I included you in that :hugs:

I'm applying for a part-time job at CAFOD :woo:
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought you believe the important things but haven't been baptised? :dontknow: In any case, of course I included you in that :hugs:
Pretty much - I still need to send you that thing about that.

Awesome
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're agnostic, may I kindly ask you to refrain from posting in here. This is for believing/practising Catholics and Ethereal and those converting to talk to each other without interference or abuse from others :yes:
(Original post by Ethereal)
Double fixed :woo:

Job at CAFOD sounds excellent TLG, you go for it :awesome:
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Good luck with your application.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
For some reason I've got the songs from my primary school's Easter play stuck in my head, but despite my best efforts I can't find them online.

Only being able to remember half the lyrics to songs drives me absolutely mad :mad2:
Most schools purchase plays from producers that have their own composed songs suitable for any particular theme, so an Easter Play would have songs obviously suitable for the Easter story, but not the regular ones we have in hymnals.

To obtain the lyrics you would need to know the title of the performance (play). Maybe you could contact your primary school and they would be able to locate the title if they knew the year the pupils performed it, and then you could track down the lyrics.

I can fully empathise with your 'obsession.' One gets something in one's mind that can't be released unless it's been resolved. Good luck with the hunt!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adamrules247)
Double fixed :woo:

Job at CAFOD sounds excellent TLG, you go for it :awesome:
You know I love you really and meant to include you too :yep: :hugs: :jebus:

Thanks! I'm quite excited now. It's my dream to work for CAFOD, so even if it doesn't work out I'm gonna keep trying. I think God wants me to work in the charities sector once I'm a bit more stable healthwise :yep:
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Work for MSF too :love:
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago

That's great news...and another big step forward for you. What are the job's roles and responsibilites?

Let us know if you get an interview and we'll start a Novena for you...sorry, I shouldn't offer the prayers of all of us, but I know that everyone will be rooting for you.
big-bang-theory
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Quick question, does the church have an official position on the causes of the schism with the east and if so would anyone be so kind as to recommend me either online or book resources explaining it?

I'm currently reading a book by an Orthodox bishop on the matter and don't want my perspective of what happened to be utterly tainted by what I read first.
Anna_Karenina
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're baptised a Catholic you're technically always a Catholic even if you lose faith or are excommunicated. However being a practising Catholic does require a belief in the Christian or Abrahamic God. So I guess that does put you in the agnostic camp, even if you're baptised and confirmed.
:

So I am still a Catholic. :sly: My all time hero was a very famous Catholic Bishop, Charles-Maurice, Prince de Talleyrand. :coma: Who is your favourite historical Catholic?
Anna_Karenina
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adamrules247)
The key thing is that if you don't believe is that you must not take the Eucharist.

Are they any negatives to taking it if I don't believe?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads