Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
TLG :love:

History student, I mean the church not the society
We have WYD and can trace our history right back to the Apostles

Also, I've never felt as much strength in a community; as I have in the Catholic Church.
Rare these days, I tell you.
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Choccielatte)
We have WYD and can trace our history right back to the Apostles

Also, I've never felt as much strength in a community; as I have in the Catholic Church.
Rare these days, I tell you.
One of the things that causes me so much turmoil
Historiana
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One of the things that causes me so much turmoil
People usually misunderstand Catholic attitudes and communities. When you've been hounded so much over the years in various corners; it's only natural that the community is very tight knit and upstanding in faith.

Post-reformation England STILL culturally demonises the Catholic faith out of tradition. In the media, you still see anti-Catholic pieces that 9/10 are written based on an popularly accepted lie and there's never any opportunity for a rebuttal from theologists or Catholics on the matter. It makes me sad. The child abuse scandal in particular: it's never mentioned that more children (sadly) have been abused by their own family members, than priests. Other religious groups have also been tarred with the same, awful scandals but these are never mentioned and I firmly believe that's because the English have been historically indoctrinated by the state, to think badly of the Catholic faith. You never, ever hear about all the good CAFOD is doing in the british press...

As a historian; I read books about Catholic persecution around 1536, then come downstairs and realise that the same bigoted, blinkered attitudes are still very much alive in my own parents. Who know NOTHING about the faith, yet still choose to think badly of it based on a few biased news items.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Usually through misunderstanding, however.

Post-reformation England STILL culturally demonises the Catholic faith out of tradition. In the media, you still see anti-Catholic pieces that 9/10 are written based on an popularly accepted lie and there's never any opportunity for a rebuttal from theologists or Catholics on the matter. It makes me sad. The child abuse scandal in particular: it's never mentioned that more children (sadly) have been abused by their own family members, than priests. Other religious groups have also been tarred with the same, awful scandals but these are never mentioned and I firmly believe that's because the English have been historically indoctrinated by the state, to think badly of the Catholic faith. You never, ever hear about all the good CAFOD is doing in the british press...

As a historian; I read books about Catholic persecution around 1536, then come downstairs and realise that the same bigoted, blinkered attitudes are still very much alive in my own parents. Who know NOTHING about the faith, yet still choose to think badly of it based on a few biased news items.
In what way would I misunderstand the RC faith or church?
micky022
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My uncle has throat cancer.

Historiana
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In what way would I misunderstand the RC faith or church?
Sorry, I read it as "causes so much turmoil" rather than "causes me so much turmoil" and posted before I realised *fail*. Edited it to correct myself!
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry, I read it as "causes so much turmoil" rather than "causes me so much turmoil" and posted before I realised *fail*. Edited it to correct myself!
I know the RC church is still the object of much stigma; unfortunately it is also guilty of it and that can be used as a powerful weapon by people too
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by micky022)

Prayer said for your uncle and your family :hugs:
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago

I shall include your uncle...and all your family in my prayers.

If it's any comfort to you, I have two family members and one friend who have had throat cancer. The treatment is identical...chemo and radiotherapy and occasionally, surgery to remove accessible growths. Whilst the treatment is not pleasant, the recovery is very favourable. These three people are now all fine and two of them are still in remission for more than five years even though they had delayed diagnoses at the beginning.

Keep strong, especially for your uncle whilst being prepared to listen to him if he expresses his fears to you...pray for him and put your trust in the Lord.

God bless.
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Prayer said for your uncle
micky022
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you all

He had surgery last week to remove a lot of it without damaging his voicebox, but now he's going to have to go back in and have the rest of his larynx removed. My mam and nan are both hysterical, but he should be fine. I think we're going to see him today to tell him about my A-Level results.
yawn
Report 7 years ago
Thank you all

He had surgery last week to remove a lot of it without damaging his voicebox, but now he's going to have to go back in and have the rest of his larynx removed. My mam and nan are both hysterical, but he should be fine. I think we're going to see him today to tell him about my A-Level results.
I'm sure that he'll be delighted to see you today, and to be kept informed of family successes. :yep:
Historiana
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I feel quite guilty really, because they've spent so much time trying to make me feel joining the Church is a bad thing. I also feel that by lying where I'm going; I'm doing wrong, even though it's for a much-greater end and force for good. I almost feel, at times, that my religion is sordid because of the lengths I have to go to avoid them rowing with me. Needless to say; when I am received, it'll be a secret. I've done many more sordid things, and sinned much more seriously; but the way they're dealing with it, makes me feel like this could be the worst (as well as the best) thing I do

The only thing I don't conceal are the Doctrine books, Catechism, Missal and Bible next to my bed. Nor the Rosary on my bed either.

I'm hoping by taking the quiet route for the foreseeable future (at least till I get married etc), they'll eventually just accept it. But I'm not hopeful, seeing how far they're distanced from God and religion in general. For all intents and purposes; they're all atheists or lapsed anglicans at best.

Intercession of John the Baptist is seriously needed
Thanks to whoever nagged this.....

Really needed further intervention suggesting I'm doing the wrong thing
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks to whoever nagged this.....

Really needed further intervention suggesting I'm doing the wrong thing
Don't be put off by haters. We have some not-so-nice characters on this forum who have nothing better to do than watch this thread and neg us for no apparent reason :sadnod:

It must be very hard for you trying to embrace Catholicism and I admire you for doing it. Being a cradle Catholic, I can't imagine what it must be like to have parents who are against you in that way.

Remember that you have the most supportive and loving Heavenly parents you could ever wish for :hugs:
Historiana
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Don't be put off by haters. We have some not-so-nice characters on this forum who have nothing better to do than watch this thread and neg us for no apparent reason :sadnod:

It must be very hard for you trying to embrace Catholicism and I admire you for doing it. Being a cradle Catholic, I can't imagine what it must be like to have parents who are against you in that way.

Remember that you have the most supportive and loving Heavenly parents you could ever wish for :hugs:
Thank you

It's funny that I've just mentioned how alive anti-Catholicism is; and that neg comes right along to prove my point. Seems that it's even present on TSR...

Shall take solace in the fact I have an RCIA class and Mass tomorrow night.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Someone I work with is so rampantly anti-RC that I find myself leaping to the defence of the church despite myself being on the receiving end of stigma from the church. He even goes so far as to say the RC church is the only major religious organisation to have covered up child abuse :lolwut:
yawn
Report 7 years ago
He even goes so far as to say the RC church is the only major religious organisation to have covered up child abuse :lolwut:
Far be it from a Christian to cast aspersions at other Christian faith groups, but suffice to say that no one group...including secularist groups...are immune from such sad incidents, nor cover ups.

Unfortunately - secular society being what it is - media organisations are so obsessed with seeking accounts of child abuse in faith organisations that they are blinded...or don't have the time...to seek the same accounts amongst secular organisations.

Planks, motes, eyes etc. anyone? :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.52%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (221)
41.08%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.41%

Watched Threads