TSR Catholic Society Watch

adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Hey,

I'm sorry I'm not joining in with the apologetics in all these anti-Catholic threads. Being a cradle Catholic, I don't really have the knowledge or reading to jump in. I'm not too sure where we get our ideas about Mary either, though I believe them to be true

You're doing a great job though :hugs:
It's just amazing how misinformed people are! I hope I'm doing a good job. I'm probably gonna give up for tonight though, need to read Shakespeare!

We get our ideas from, A, Sacred Tradition and, B, Scripture.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adamrules247)
It's just amazing how misinformed people are! I hope I'm doing a good job. I'm probably gonna give up for tonight though, need to read Shakespeare!

We get our ideas from, A, Sacred Tradition and, B, Scripture.
I know that much :p: Thanks for pointing out Revelations 12: my first time reading Revelations :yep: I wonder where we get the sacred traditions from though?

There is indeed much misinformation out there :sadnod:

Oooh, Shakespeare :teeth: What Shakespeare are you doing?
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know that much :p: Thanks for pointing out Revelations 12: my first time reading Revelations :yep: I wonder where we get the sacred traditions from though?
Thanks. I'll be honest though and admit that a lot was a copy and paste job from Fisheaters. I knew what I wanted to say but I couldn't quite get the words right so I took what I needed and added bits of my own.

There is indeed much misinformation out there :sadnod:
It is so sad. If people only understood the wonders our Church had to offer they'd be so much happier.

Oooh, Shakespeare :teeth: What Shakespeare are you doing?
Twelth Night, but I keep getting distracted. I've gotta read King Lear as well.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks. I'll be honest though and admit that a lot was a copy and paste job from Fisheaters. I knew what I wanted to say but I couldn't quite get the words right so I took what I needed and added bits of my own.

It is so sad. If people only understood the wonders our Church had to offer they'd be so much happier.

Twelth Night, but I keep getting distracted. I've gotta read King Lear as well.
I'm clearly gonna have to look up Fisheaters in depth :yes:

I'm glad you've got at least a nice comic one alongside King Lear. I've never read the proper version but it sounds like the most depressing thing ever :p:
Arcane Barn Elk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There was a really good performance of Midsummer's Night Dream on R3 last Sunday evening. I have to listen to it again though as I fell asleep halfway through - tiredness and medication not boredom

Had a better week this week as I am not quite so tired, and have even managed to remember to say some of the Rosary as I go about the school..........

Really pleased that the Cath Soc went well Adam! And thanks for the prayers.

LG, my son is doing some interviews for OxFiz too - he went for training in London yesterday. He is a friend of Flo's (sales and marketing). He's really enjoying it.
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm clearly gonna have to look up Fisheaters in depth :yes:

I'm glad you've got at least a nice comic one alongside King Lear. I've never read the proper version but it sounds like the most depressing thing ever :p:
Fisheaters is a surpurb resource and run by some brilliant Catholics. My only advice is stay away from the forums. They're not the most overly friendly bunch (some are really nice, some less so).

Heeheeeheee, just need to work through it. Luckily there's lots of footnotes to explain stuff

Another resource you might find useful is the Faith Movement talks. I love them!

(Original post by Arcane Barn Elk)
There was a really good performance of Midsummer's Night Dream on R3 last Sunday evening. I have to listen to it again though as I fell asleep halfway through - tiredness and medication not boredom

Had a better week this week as I am not quite so tired, and have even managed to remember to say some of the Rosary as I go about the school..........

Really pleased that the Cath Soc went well Adam! And thanks for the prayers.

LG, my son is doing some interviews for OxFiz too - he went for training in London yesterday. He is a friend of Flo's (sales and marketing). He's really enjoying it.

Thanks and glad the prayers were of some use. Still sending them up
thethinker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hope you don't mind me asking a question about Catholicism, but is it true that the no meat on Friday rule is being re-introduced?
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Who remembers the post I made a while ago about a Catholic uni? Well I found out some more news. According to Cristina Odone's Telegraph blog a female academic called Dr. Clare Hornsby is behind it and they're doing some sort of launch event soon!
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thethinker)
I hope you don't mind me asking a question about Catholicism, but is it true that the no meat on Friday rule is being re-introduced?
You're not supposed to really but I'll let you get away with it

Yep, the Bishops, in their wisdom, are introducing it again! Which is excellent news. The Bishops of England and Wales have started to shape up their act since the Holy Father's visit last year :yep:
DocWho49
Report 7 years ago
Anyone who wants to check out my theory can look here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post34069936

argue for or against
Jen_1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This day last year, the Pope celebrated Mass at Bellahouston Park in Glasgow, seems like it was only yesterday never mind a whole year ago!
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jen_1)
This day last year, the Pope celebrated Mass at Bellahouston Park in Glasgow, seems like it was only yesterday never mind a whole year ago!
I remember watching it on Television :love:

God Bless Pope Benedict! Viva Papa! :woo:
Jen_1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I never saw it on tv, but I saw the real thing! Got some fabulous photographs, was one of the best experiences of my life, I hope he will visit us again some time in the future
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jen_1)
Yeah, I never saw it on tv, but I saw the real thing! Got some fabulous photographs, was one of the best experiences of my life, I hope he will visit us again some time in the future
That must have been amazing. A couple of friends I know went there, very jealous! (but not in a sinful way).
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Arcane Barn Elk)
Ah I met Flo that day: she seemed very nice. I'm looking forward to terrifying applicants interviewing people :yep: :ninja:

I went to see the Pope in Hyde Park. We were in the middle but you could make him out by his vestments. I injured my left foot that evening and it flares up every now and then. I tell people it's my Pope foot and that it's specially blessed

Adam, that's very exciting about this Catholic uni! We must keep an eye on it :teeth:

Also, Adam, I think your skills at explaining and apologetics puts you in good stead for certain priestly vocations. Something to think about maybe
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah I met Flo that day: she seemed very nice. I'm looking forward to terrifying applicants interviewing people :yep: :ninja:

I went to see the Pope in Hyde Park. We were in the middle but you could make him out by his vestments. I injured my left foot that evening and it flares up every now and then. I tell people it's my Pope foot and that it's specially blessed

Adam, that's very exciting about this Catholic uni! We must keep an eye on it :teeth:

Also, Adam, I think your skills at explaining and apologetics puts you in good stead for certain priestly vocations. Something to think about maybe
So do you and ABE know each other in real life :curious:

I know, I just wish they were publicising it more. I do hope they're sucessful. A priest I know has been in contact with them and when I here back from this priest (as I've emailed him) I'll reply to his reply by asking about what he found out).

Oh I'm not really that good, I just read what I can; following the Holy Father's message to read Scripture as a totality
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So do you and ABE know each other in real life :curious:

I know, I just wish they were publicising it more. I do hope they're sucessful. A priest I know has been in contact with them and when I here back from this priest (as I've emailed him) I'll reply to his reply by asking about what he found out).

Oh I'm not really that good, I just read what I can; following the Holy Father's message to read Scripture as a totality
No we don't. ABE must have seen my post in the Oxford forum, where I've been debating with someone about the ethics of a company called OxFizz. They do mock interviews for Oxford and Cambridge and I've signed up and been trained. So I get to be an Oxford tutor without having to go back there :woo:

Those are important things for a priest though. It's why I can't become a nun: no good with apologetics and answering questions and generally behaving myself
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No we don't. ABE must have seen my post in the Oxford forum, where I've been debating with someone about the ethics of a company called OxFizz. They do mock interviews for Oxford and Cambridge and I've signed up and been trained. So I get to be an Oxford tutor without having to go back there :woo:

Those are important things for a priest though. It's why I can't become a nun: no good with apologetics and answering questions and generally behaving myself
Ahh, I see. Well done with getting the job then

Important but not essentially. Being pious and humble are far more important than intellect and you outstrip me in all three :yep:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ahh, I see. Well done with getting the job then

Important but not essentially. Being pious and humble are far more important than intellect and you outstrip me in all three :yep:
Ah it's not a job, it's just volunteering. Should be fun and something to add on my CV. Means three years of hell don't go to waste either :nah:

You're being too negative about yourself :yep:
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah it's not a job, it's just volunteering. Should be fun and something to add on my CV. Means three years of hell don't go to waste either :nah:

You're being too negative about yourself :yep:
Well that's good then Just out of interest have you ever spoken to a vocations director, remembering that every person has a vocation, either to the priesthood, religious life, marriage or chastity. If you have a decent Diocese vocations director they should help with all 4. I know the vocations director from Southwark does and he's very good at his job (and sucessful).

Maybe, my priest said the same thing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (296)
25.92%
Yes - they're famous (292)
25.57%
No I don't (554)
48.51%

Watched Threads