TSR Catholic Society Watch

Marc707
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adamrules247)
Oh and we did our pilgrimage to Glasgow Cathedral! It's simply stunning. The work that Mario Conti has had done is simply amazing. GO if you get the chance all of you.
Well done on this by the way. Youre someone who shows true dedication to God and is willing to help other people. Youre a good soul. Keep up the good work
God bless
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Marc707)
Well done on this by the way. Youre someone who shows true dedication to God and is willing to help other people. Youre a good soul. Keep up the good work
God bless
Oh thank you I'm really not that dedicated - I just met some wonderful people full of zeal.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Facticity)
Just popping in to introduce myself as a new D&CA Religion Mod. So if you have any issues, please direct them to AAM and I'll try to resolve them as quick as possible

I wouldn't have needed to introduce myself normally but there have been a few new Christians with Catholics in the ranks, so I thought I should do anyway.

Its been a while yawn! How have you been? We have missed your flavoursome posts in Religion
Sincere congrats on your appointment, dear Facticity. I have observed your growth as a well respected contributor and member of TSR since the first days of your membership, and I am well pleased, believing that a very good choice has been made by the admin in appointing you to this very important role. I have no doubts at all that you will give of your very best, and make a positive addition to the team, especially on this sub-forum.

Thanks for your vote of confidence in my contributions.(At least I'm assuming you were being gracious) I hope I make a positive contribution to the faith (or none) of our members, even though they might not always appreciate or accept such contribution in the manner in which they are intended.

God bless you.
amandacalifornia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys! I just finished reading the Book of Tobit and I wanted to encourage anyone who needs inspiration or hasn't read it yet to do so. It describes a good man who followed God's commandments and did numerous selfless acts of charity. However he lives in an oppressive, intolerant society and becomes blind. This makes him unable to provide for his family and puts stress on his marriage. He finally becomes so miserable and hopeless with his life that he contemplates suicide and prays for God to let him die. God instead sends an angel to help him and his family. The book encourages us to give to the poor and the needy, and to take strength in doing what's right even in times when you have little.

There's also a really beautiful prayer at the end that foreshadows the birth of Christ and the new covenant:
"A bright light will shine to the all the ends of the earth.
Many nations will come to you from far away,
And inhabitants of the remotest parts of the earth
to your holy name,
Bearing in their hands gifts for the King of heaven.

Generation after generation will offer joyful worship in you;
your name will be great forever and ever." (Tob 13:11)
And Tobit then describes a new Jerusalem built of gold and precious stones singing the praises of God (Tob 13:16-17) like the one described in Revelation 21.

It really is sad that so many of our Protestant brothers and sisters don't have this book in their Bibles. A sad part of Luther's legacy.

(Sorry if you guys already knew all this, I just felt like sharing right after I read it )
Arcane Barn Elk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for sharing Amanda. I need to read Tobit as I'm struggling right now.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Arcane Barn Elk)
:hugs: Hope you're OK :hugs:

I read Tobit when Adam suggested it the other day. Really enjoyed it
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by amandacalifornia)
Hey guys! I just finished reading the Book of Tobit and I wanted to encourage anyone who needs inspiration or hasn't read it yet to do so. It describes a good man who followed God's commandments and did numerous selfless acts of charity. However he lives in an oppressive, intolerant society and becomes blind. This makes him unable to provide for his family and puts stress on his marriage. He finally becomes so miserable and hopeless with his life that he contemplates suicide and prays for God to let him die. God instead sends an angel to help him and his family. The book encourages us to give to the poor and the needy, and to take strength in doing what's right even in times when you have little.

There's also a really beautiful prayer at the end that foreshadows the birth of Christ and the new covenant:
"A bright light will shine to the all the ends of the earth.
Many nations will come to you from far away,
And inhabitants of the remotest parts of the earth
to your holy name,
Bearing in their hands gifts for the King of heaven.

Generation after generation will offer joyful worship in you;
your name will be great forever and ever." (Tob 13:11)
And Tobit then describes a new Jerusalem built of gold and precious stones singing the praises of God (Tob 13:16-17) like the one described in Revelation 21.

It really is sad that so many of our Protestant brothers and sisters don't have this book in their Bibles. A sad part of Luther's legacy.

(Sorry if you guys already knew all this, I just felt like sharing right after I read it )
Yep :yep: I love it! One of my favourite books of the Bible. If only Protestants could read it! If you haven't read Judith I'd check that one out as well
Facticity
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Sincere congrats on your appointment, dear Facticity. I have observed your growth as a well respected contributor and member of TSR since the first days of your membership, and I am well pleased, believing that a very good choice has been made by the admin in appointing you to this very important role. I have no doubts at all that you will give of your very best, and make a positive addition to the team, especially on this sub-forum.

Thanks for your vote of confidence in my contributions.(At least I'm assuming you were being gracious) I hope I make a positive contribution to the faith (or none) of our members, even though they might not always appreciate or accept such contribution in the manner in which they are intended.

God bless you.
Well, thank you yawn

I was being complementary, of course :yes: I hope you are keeping well in your health and do make sure to pop into TSR more often
Arcane Barn Elk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
:hugs: Hope you're OK :hugs:
Thanks. You too. I think part of it is that I've been too tired and sick to get to Mass. I have also been put on three monthly checks for my heart as there's a problem devloping that means I'll have to have more surgery within the year. I'm just in a miserable and cross heap right now :rolleyes:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks. You too. I think part of it is that I've been too tired and sick to get to Mass. I have also been put on three monthly checks for my heart as there's a problem devloping that means I'll have to have more surgery within the year. I'm just in a miserable and cross heap right now :rolleyes:
:hugs: I have said a prayer for you
amandacalifornia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really felt like someone would need to hear about it! Hope everything with your health turns out ok and remember that God is always with you. I'll pray for you

Yep :yep: I love it! One of my favourite books of the Bible. If only Protestants could read it! If you haven't read Judith I'd check that one out as well
Well that book's next in my Bible! When I got an iPhone a few months ago I decided reading the Bible was too convenient for me to neglect. I had read through the whole Old Testament a looooong long time ago and haven't touched most of it since. Since May I've been working from Genesis all the way to Revelation. So I'm reading Judith now! And Tobit has been my favorite so far. I just don't understand how Luther and the Jewish Council of Jamnia could have not believed it was divinely inspired. It adds so much.
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by amandacalifornia)

Well that book's next in my Bible! When I got an iPhone a few months ago I decided reading the Bible was too convenient for me to neglect. I had read through the whole Old Testament a looooong long time ago and haven't touched most of it since. Since May I've been working from Genesis all the way to Revelation. So I'm reading Judith now! And Tobit has been my favorite so far. I just don't understand how Luther and the Jewish Council of Jamnia could have not believed it was divinely inspired. It adds so much.
:woo: That really is another wonderful book. Remember to read it as a metaphor though as Judith, the Marian figure, can sometimes appear, shall we say, violent.... This is also the book which predicts the assumption of Our Blessed Lady. I'm sure you'll work it out

Exactly, another book, Esther, actually talks about a Jewish man who's going to be crucified! Luther was even going to start taking books out of the NT until his fellow revolters realised how damaging it would be and stopped him1
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:woo:
Exactly, another book, Esther, actually talks about a Jewish man who's going to be crucified! Luther was even going to start taking books out of the NT until his fellow revolters realised how damaging it would be and stopped him1
I just read "Luther" as "Lucifer" and wondered what authority he had to take books out of the Bible :facepalm:
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just read "Luther" as "Lucifer" and wondered what authority he had to take books out of the Bible :facepalm:
Careful now! Ecumenism is the watch word. Our Protestant brothers and sisters might be watching :ninja:
bestofyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Careful now! Ecumenism is the watch word. Our Protestant brothers and sisters might be watching :ninja:
how you finding dundee?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't worry: it was just me misreading. I'm all for ecumenism :yep:
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bestofyou)
how you finding dundee?
Good thanks! The little Catholic community up here is great! We do daily Rosary, Divine Mercy and Mass! :awesome: The people that God has allowed me to meet is amazing

EDIT: And I've just Blessed my flat, including the communal area and my flatmates doors, with Holy Water :awesome:
bestofyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good thanks! The little Catholic community up here is great! We do daily Rosary, Divine Mercy and Mass! :awesome: The people that God has allowed me to meet is amazing

EDIT: And I've just Blessed my flat, including the communal area and my flatmates doors, with Holy Water :awesome:
What flat you in?

Still doing history? What other subjects?

Have you finished the sources exercise for history yet?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Great stuff

I'm going to Singalonga Sound of Music tonight (if the rapture doesn't get me first :ninja: ). I will try and upload a photo tomorrow to show you all how good I looked as a Carmelite nun :awesome:

Had a text from Catholic priest (who went AWOL). He's in Nevers, France, and has prayed for me at the shrine of St Bernadette :love:
adamrules247
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Great stuff

I'm going to Singalonga Sound of Music tonight (if the rapture doesn't get me first :ninja: ). I will try and upload a photo tomorrow to show you all how good I looked as a Carmelite nun :awesome:

Had a text from Catholic priest (who went AWOL). He's in Nevers, France, and has prayed for me at the shrine of St Bernadette :love:
Oooh pictures are always good I'll hopefully get some of the ones we took of Glasgow Cathedral up; it really is amazing!

That's excellent you had a text from the priest (this is the Jesuit, right?) and nice of him to pray before to tomb of the Saint for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (66)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (133)
40.3%
Nope, not that interesting (131)
39.7%

Watched Threads