• PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Ooh, that's exciting!

And that's a shame. I didn't know there were Taizé nuns
I'm trying to find a way around it, though of course if there is no way I can study them I will respect their wishes. I'm not like most ethnography students: many would just go and study them without their knowledge/cooperation anyway

There's always Taizé services in London/Oxford to look at :yep:

I only learnt a year and a half ago that Anglicans have nuns :ninja:
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I'm trying to find a way around it, though of course if there is no way I can study them I will respect their wishes. I'm not like most ethnography students: many would just go and study them without their knowledge/cooperation anyway

There's always Taizé services in London/Oxford to look at :yep:

I only learnt a year and a half ago that Anglicans have nuns :ninja:
Good luck with that :top2:

I did know that. Not sure when I found out though, probably only quite recently :ninjagirl:
I would definitely know that now though, 'cause the place where I'm living this year used to be an anglican convent.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Good luck with that :top2:

I did know that. Not sure when I found out though, probably only quite recently :ninjagirl:
I would definitely know that now though, 'cause the place where I'm living this year used to be an anglican convent.
Oh wow! That must be quite cool!

We had a convent and a nun's graveyard in my secondary school grounds :afraid:
Hulksmash
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was a choir boy when I was younger....I shall leave this group while I have the chance!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just looked at my confessor Fr S's parish website (to find out how to make a donation to the parish. They're very short of money and I thought it's the right thing to do at Christmas) and they're having a big volunteer recruitment drive for readers, eucharistic ministers, shop attendants, Legion of Mary, etc. I think I might volunteer for something. That would be a nice way of thanking Fr S for being such a lovely guy and taking care of me

I technically finished today with the Anglican hospital chaplain I was seeing but he's worried about how I'll do in Lent and so is likely to take me back during the season :woo:
Aula
Rep:
?
I just looked at my confessor Fr S's parish website (to find out how to make a donation to the parish. They're very short of money and I thought it's the right thing to do at Christmas) and they're having a big volunteer recruitment drive for readers, eucharistic ministers, shop attendants, Legion of Mary, etc. I think I might volunteer for something. That would be a nice way of thanking Fr S for being such a lovely guy and taking care of me

I technically finished today with the Anglican hospital chaplain I was seeing but he's worried about how I'll do in Lent and so is likely to take me back during the season :woo:
Ooh, do that

Just went to a rather lovely prayer service with my sister.
She was less scared by charismatics than I feared she would be :mmm:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Ooh, do that

Just went to a rather lovely prayer service with my sister.
She was less scared by charismatics than I feared she would be :mmm:
Oooh, that sounds great! What are charismatic services like? At one point I was wondering whether I was more of a CCR type Catholic but I don't think I've got gifts from the Holy Spirit, per se. Well, not at the moment. And whilst I've had a religious experience which felt like a rebaptism, I didn't faint or fall backwards or anything :nah:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OK guys, VERY important prayer request:

My ex-tutor Alex (one of my mother figures too!) is pregnant and is due to give birth to a baby girl on Christmas Day! Please can we all keep her, her husband and the baby in our prayers this week for a safe and relatively pain-free delivery (the nutcase wants a natural birth :lolwut: ). Who knows: this could be the Second Coming :ninja:
Aula
Rep:
?
Oooh, that sounds great! What are charismatic services like? At one point I was wondering whether I was more of a CCR type Catholic but I don't think I've got gifts from the Holy Spirit, per se. Well, not at the moment. And whilst I've had a religious experience which felt like a rebaptism, I didn't faint or fall backwards or anything :nah:
Oh, me neither. This is a very minorly charismatic service. I'll PM you the details for if you're ever in the area.
It's just a while of songs, then a talk from someone, and then opportunity for prayer ministry. There's sometimes some prophecy or words of knowledge in between the songs and talk, and there's usually people talking in tongues. It's really lovely though.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Oh, me neither. This is a very minorly charismatic service. I'll PM you the details for if you're ever in the area.
It's just a while of songs, then a talk from someone, and then opportunity for prayer ministry. There's sometimes some prophecy or words of knowledge in between the songs and talk, and there's usually people talking in tongues. It's really lovely though.
That sounds quite cool. Do PM me the details when you have a chance Or is it the place in Chertsey with Stayne? If so, I've heard of it :yes:

I still don't know what I make of speaking in tongues. Sometimes I get the urge to speak in a foreign/nonsensical language and I've heard creepy whisperings that aren't in English booming around the chapel (that's what made me terrified of religious buildings). Not sure that's tongues/anything related to that though :nah:
Aula
Rep:
?
That sounds quite cool. Do PM me the details when you have a chance Or is it the place in Chertsey with Stayne? If so, I've heard of it :yes:

I still don't know what I make of speaking in tongues. Sometimes I get the urge to speak in a foreign/nonsensical language and I've heard creepy whisperings that aren't in English booming around the chapel (that's what made me terrified of religious buildings). Not sure that's tongues/anything related to that though :nah:
No, it's closer to where I'm based this year.

I was unsure about tongues, but I've got to the stage where I find it really comforting. I went up for prayer ministry this evening, and during it the lady asked me if I'd ever spoken in tongues. I haven't though. I find it quite a scary idea.
Hmm... I don't know, but maybe that is tongues. It's not something I actually know very much about though. Perhaps it's something you should talk to someone about?
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have my first Confession today! Please pray, especially to Our Lady, for me!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
No, it's closer to where I'm based this year.

I was unsure about tongues, but I've got to the stage where I find it really comforting. I went up for prayer ministry this evening, and during it the lady asked me if I'd ever spoken in tongues. I haven't though. I find it quite a scary idea.
Hmm... I don't know, but maybe that is tongues. It's not something I actually know very much about though. Perhaps it's something you should talk to someone about?
Yeah maybe I should bring it up with my confessor :yes: I also find the idea of speaking in tongues a bit scary :five: That's great you find others doing it comfortable though

(Original post by adamrules247)
Oooh, how exciting! Big prayer said to Our Lady for you. Let us know how it goes (without revealing the details, obviously) :jumphug:
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adamrules247)
I'm so happy for you adam.

Imagine that you are about to be sin-free! I can remember when I made my first Confession at the age of seven years. I came out of Church feeling very holy and as I was about to cross the main road to return home (very independent child even at that age) the thought crossed my mind that if I were to get run over and died, I would go straight to Heaven! What a drama queen.

I shall keep you in my thoughts every day, and pray for you too, most especially in the time leading up to your reception into the Church.

When is that, by the way? I recall you said you were being received at a time of your own choosing rather than the customary Easter Midnight Mass.

God bless.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago

That's a very positive and practical way of 'giving.' Prayers are great too, but if we can, additional means of 'giving' multiply the benefits received.

Does your Parish have a Legion of Mary group? I used to belong to the Junior Legion of Mary and we were given weekly tasks to vist the lonely elderly or frail, and hospital visiting too. I really used to enjoy sitting listening to all the anecdotes and experiences of these lovely, elderly people. They had so much wisdom to offer me.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
That's a very positive and practical way of 'giving.' Prayers are great too, but if we can, additional means of 'giving' multiply the benefits received.

Does your Parish have a Legion of Mary group? I used to belong to the Junior Legion of Mary and we were given weekly tasks to vist the lonely elderly or frail, and hospital visiting too. I really used to enjoy sitting listening to all the anecdotes and experiences of these lovely, elderly people. They had so much wisdom to offer me.
My actual parish has St Vincent de Something (Paul?) instead, I think. Though from what I gathered, it's quite similar? :dontknow:

I'm not that great with elderly people. Well actually I'm fine with them, I just don't feel that comfortable with them I think I might volunteer for reading but I'm leaving it to Fr S to tell me what he thinks I'd be best at.

Off to see my nurse and to drop a bottle and a card round Fr S's house
Aula
Rep:
?
Yeah maybe I should bring it up with my confessor :yes: I also find the idea of speaking in tongues a bit scary :five: That's great you find others doing it comfortable though
Perhaps also see if you can find a comfortable charismatic group to go to and see how that goes. If you hear what you know is people speaking in tongues, you may be better able to judge what is going on next time. (although it may not help, since everyone's tongue voice is different).

I think the main reason I feel comfortable around it now is because I have two good friends who speak in tongues, so it's become normal to me now. Still not something I'm ready for myself, but possibly just because I can't let myself relax enough, which is something I need to work on.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Perhaps also see if you can find a comfortable charismatic group to go to and see how that goes. If you hear what you know is people speaking in tongues, you may be better able to judge what is going on next time. (although it may not help, since everyone's tongue voice is different).

I think the main reason I feel comfortable around it now is because I have two good friends who speak in tongues, so it's become normal to me now. Still not something I'm ready for myself, but possibly just because I can't let myself relax enough, which is something I need to work on.
There's a charismatic group that meets near Westminster Cathedral but they meet in the evenings and I'm not good at going out in the dark Might see if I can find one closer to home :yes:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My beloved mother figure Alex has gone into early labour! :eek: Please pray for her! I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited (as you can tell on the X Soc thread) :woo:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (6)
15.79%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (17)
44.74%
Nope, not that interesting (15)
39.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise