TSR Catholic Society Watch

The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I spent an hour this morning with my psychiatrist, discussing my faith, my health and how the two interact/intersect. Everyone in this group should praise the Lord that I have such an open-minded psych. He's a really lovely man and listened attentively with interest. He said he's going to focus on the health side of things and leave spiritual matters, e.g. the religious voices, alone
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I spent an hour this morning with my psychiatrist, discussing my faith, my health and how the two interact/intersect. Everyone in this group should praise the Lord that I have such an open-minded psych. He's a really lovely man and listened attentively with interest. He said he's going to focus on the health side of things and leave spiritual matters, e.g. the religious voices, alone
This is intriguing me. How does he extrapolate one from the other? And how does he intend helping you by not dealing with the 'voices' as far as your psych health is concerned since the latter seems to be the dominant force in the relationship between the two?

You can pm me if you'd rather. As I said, I'm intrigued, and not just being nosey!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
This is intriguing me. How does he extrapolate one from the other? And how does he intend helping you by not dealing with the 'voices' as far as your psych health is concerned since the latter seems to be the dominant force in the relationship between the two?

You can pm me if you'd rather. As I said, I'm intrigued, and not just being nosey!
Well I was the one who separated them out for him, because I am quite aware of the difference between the religious voices (both good and bad), my internal but dissociated thoughts, and other psychotic symptoms (the rest of the voices). The bad religious voices speak about religious things (obviously) and they have a different metaphysical presence to the other voices. The tone is also minutely different and the voice is more omnipotent and echo-ey :yes: Whereas the psychotic voices sound like me and whilst they sometimes speak about religious things, they don't have that omnipotent force :nah:

My psychiatrist intends to deal with the psychotic voices quite firmly through medication and the internal/dissociated thoughts through regular talking (though not talking therapies as such. We discussed that today but he doesn't think I need grief or trauma therapy :nah: ). He acknowledges that medication is unlikely to make the religious voices go away and he has no plan to try and make them, since they seem to be coming from somewhere else (even if that's just my subconscious)
yawn
Report 6 years ago
Well I was the one who separated them out for him, because I am quite aware of the difference between the religious voices (both good and bad), my internal but dissociated thoughts, and other psychotic symptoms (the rest of the voices). The bad religious voices speak about religious things (obviously) and they have a different metaphysical presence to the other voices. The tone is also minutely different and the voice is more omnipotent and echo-ey :yes: Whereas the psychotic voices sound like me and whilst they sometimes speak about religious things, they don't have that omnipotent force :nah:

My psychiatrist intends to deal with the psychotic voices quite firmly through medication and the internal/dissociated thoughts through regular talking (though not talking therapies as such. We discussed that today but he doesn't think I need grief or trauma therapy :nah: ). He acknowledges that medication is unlikely to make the religious voices go away and he has no plan to try and make them, since they seem to be coming from somewhere else (even if that's just my subconscious)
Wow, that's all so interesting. Thank you so much for sharing, my friend.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Wow, that's all so interesting. Thank you so much for sharing, my friend.
You're very welcome
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Forgot to say: I also told my psychiatrist about the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. He asked whether I fit into that and I said I'm not sure :nah:
yawn
Report 6 years ago
Forgot to say: I also told my psychiatrist about the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. He asked whether I fit into that and I said I'm not sure :nah:
My former Parish had some who subscribed to Charismatic Renewal and it was very evident by their 'open' style of worship...arms outstretched, eyes heavenward, swaying whilst singing etc...that they appeared to be 'moved' by the Spirit in ways that more thoughtful reflecters did not appear to be.

I thoroughly enjoyed the music that they brought to the Masses at which they sung...but did feel a little disconcerted. I guess I might be considered a little 'old-fashioned' but the liturgy, whilst shared, is a communication between God and myself, rather than the person sitting next to me in the pew.

How about yourself, and any other society members who wish to contribute?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
My former Parish had some who subscribed to Charismatic Renewal and it was very evident by their 'open' style of worship...arms outstretched, eyes heavenward, swaying whilst singing etc...that they appeared to be 'moved' by the Spirit in ways that more thoughtful reflecters did not appear to be.

I thoroughly enjoyed the music that they brought to the Masses at which they sung...but did feel a little disconcerted. I guess I might be considered a little 'old-fashioned' but the liturgy, whilst shared, is a communication between God and myself, rather than the person sitting next to me in the pew.

I've never been to a Charismatic service or known a charismatic person. All I know about the CCR is from the Internet. Whilst I'd love to go along and see what it's all about in person, I'm naturally more of a shy and reserved type IRL, so I might find it a bit disconcerting at first too :yes:
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've never been to a Charismatic service or known a charismatic person. All I know about the CCR is from the Internet. Whilst I'd love to go along and see what it's all about in person, I'm naturally more of a shy and reserved type IRL, so I might find it a bit disconcerting at first too :yes:
Ditto, but I suspect that if you found the right place to go, you'd probably love it!
But yes, it's all a bit weird at first.

(Original post by yawn)

Generally totally agree. I find generally prefer to keep the types of music separate. On the other hand, mass is partially about sharing in the Lord's supper with others around us.
Another benefit to the music is that it can sometimes get younger people more involved, when we're careful about the way it's done.

I would write more, but I need to go pretend to be a nun now.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Ditto, but I suspect that if you found the right place to go, you'd probably love it!
But yes, it's all a bit weird at first.

Generally totally agree. I find generally prefer to keep the types of music separate. On the other hand, mass is partially about sharing in the Lord's supper with others around us.
Another benefit to the music is that it can sometimes get younger people more involved, when we're careful about the way it's done.

I would write more, but I need to go pretend to be a nun now.
:rofl:

Yeah, I think if I found the right place I could get quite into it :yes:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just read the parish newsletter for my confessor's church: he's been on retreat! So that's why he hasn't been in contact. Phew!

Newsletter also appealed for confirmation catechists, so I've sent an email enquiring about it :yes:
yawn
Report 6 years ago
Just read the parish newsletter for my confessor's church: he's been on retreat! So that's why he hasn't been in contact. Phew!
Life is suddenly much brighter...:console:

Newsletter also appealed for confirmation catechists, so I've sent an email enquiring about it :yes:
Catechesis is about affirming the doctrines and practices of the Church, as much as instructing confirmandi about the sacrament of Confirmation, it is an awesome responsibility that requires a great deal of committment to young people who are going through some very tumultous times in their lives. Not at all sure that I would be 'up for it.'

Having said that, my younger brother benefited greatly from having input from dedicated young men and women of the Parish who supported the official Cathechist and kept up the oft-flagging faith of the candidates. They were close enough in age to the candidates so as to be confidantes.

Incidentally, my nephew is being confirmed in May and is engaging in the preparation in a very mature and thoughtful manner, so they're not all larikins who are only there at their parents insistence.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Life is suddenly much brighter...:console:

Catechesis is about affirming the doctrines and practices of the Church, as much as instructing confirmandi about the sacrament of Confirmation, it is an awesome responsibility that requires a great deal of committment to young people who are going through some very tumultous times in their lives. Not at all sure that I would be 'up for it.'

Having said that, my younger brother benefited greatly from having input from dedicated young men and women of the Parish who supported the official Cathechist and kept up the oft-flagging faith of the candidates. They were close enough in age to the candidates so as to be confidantes.

Incidentally, my nephew is being confirmed in May and is engaging in the preparation in a very mature and thoughtful manner, so they're not all larikins who are only there at their parents insistence.
Larikins = what a great word! :awesome:

I really like working with young people, so I thought it was worth asking. They give you training and I like to think that I'd be able to correctly instruct about doctrines and practices of the Church, with some guidance and reminders. I'm sure I'd learn a lot along the way and grow in faith too It's also one of the few volunteering opportunities that are in the evening, thus not disrupting my need for lots of sleep :p:

We'll see what happens. I shall keep you all posted :yes:
Aula
Rep:
?
Much as I love the confirmation candidates most of the time, I do wish they were quieter when I have a headache :sad:

I have learnt so much about my faith this year. I think that actually having to teach others is definitely one of the best ways of learning.

Yeah, I think if I found the right place I could get quite into it :yes:
Definitely :yep:
You should go try and find somewhere. Stick near the door and you can always escape quickly if it's too weird for you :ninja:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Much as I love the confirmation candidates most of the time, I do wish they were quieter when I have a headache :sad:
:console:

I have learnt so much about my faith this year. I think that actually having to teach others is definitely one of the best ways of learning.

Definitely :yep:
You should go try and find somewhere. Stick near the door and you can always escape quickly if it's too weird for you :ninja:
Haven't heard back from them yet and the classes start on Weds, so I guess that's a no. I'll keep exploring gap year options though :yes:

I was thinking about going to a group in the summer, when there's more light. I don't like going out in the dark much and the charismatic groups near me tend to meet around 7.30pm :sadnod:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Our parish priest has left and there's a new one! (I didn't go to Mass, unfortunately, but my mum has just been asked via email whether she is willing to be a eucharistic minister under the new priest) :eek2:

Maybe this will help me be able to integrate back into the parish, if he's a nice priest
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Our parish priest has left and there's a new one! (I didn't go to Mass, unfortunately, but my mum has just been asked via email whether she is willing to be a eucharistic minister under the new priest) :eek2:

Maybe this will help me be able to integrate back into the parish, if he's a nice priest
A good priest can make a lot of difference. My previous parish changed a great deal when a shy retiring priest moved on and the new priest was an outgoing man.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
A good priest can make a lot of difference. My previous parish changed a great deal when a shy retiring priest moved on and the new priest was an outgoing man.
The priest who's just left was very unpopular and was quite dismissive of me and my plea for help, so I'm definitely hopeful about the new one! Like you say, they can make a huge difference to a parish

Please all pray for my new parish priest and our parish in general

How is everyone doing by the way? We're a quiet bunch these days :ninja:
Aula
Rep:
?

Ooh, will keep you in my prayers! I do hope that he's a good priest and a massive benefit to your parish, and even more so, to you.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Ooh, will keep you in my prayers! I do hope that he's a good priest and a massive benefit to your parish, and even more so, to you.
Thank you :hugs:

I haven't heard back from SPEC yet. Maybe I should send them another email :ninja:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed