Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Catholic Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    :musicus: paaaaaaaanus aaaaanggeeelicuuuus

ReputationRep:
    It's panis :p:

Beautiful anthem though, if it's the Franck version.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    SaccerZD is an atheist, so he would agree with anything that is perceived as 'anti-church'.
    Wrong. If a religious group raised some money, for example, for people in Africa, or volunteered and went into the community to tlak to old or homeless people for example, as I know a lot of reliigous groups do, then I haven't got a problem with that at all - it's a good thing.

What I have got a problem with is a religious group perpetuating (or at the very least not alleviating) the problem of a disease, precisely because of religion.

(Original post by SaccerZD)
    Wrong. If a religious group raised some money, for example, for people in Africa, or volunteered and went into the community to tlak to old or homeless people for example, as I know a lot of reliigous groups do, then I haven't got a problem with that at all - it's a good thing.
    ...and since charity is not 'anti-church' but rather part of what being a Christian is all about, you would not knock it

(Original post by SaccerZD)
    What I have got a problem with is a religious group perpetuating (or at the very least not alleviating) the problem of a disease, precisely because of religion.
    You might need to think a little 'beyond the end of your nose' with your criticism ^ since the solution long term is far more complex than you give it credit for.

As I said before, no religious group is perpetuating, or failing to alleviate the scourge of disease. The solution lies in the hands of the people as has been proved with the decrease in the spread of the disease in certain areas where monogamous relationships have been encouraged.

ReputationRep:
    i feels my religious view have upset yawn!:yawn
    jus wana say. i know our views differ somewhat, and i dont think we'll agree on certain issues. but at the end of the day , im Catholic and so are you so we are of the same people; share the same bread and all that so lets not let religion come btw us. no hard feeligns man gd night n God bless x

as for the rest of you, someone crap on another thread is saying basically volunteer workers are selfish as people who steal and rob old people cos they are doing it to make themself feel good.

also i just wanted to share, im in the church choir and im going to sing at a wedding in 2 weeks . i feels all excited!

ReputationRep:
    I concur, we shouldnt squabble amongst ourselves. There is enough pressure from the outside against us without internal arguments making things worse.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to point out that two members of this soc have just seen Jerry Springer the Opera and laughedall the way through it

(Original post by shinytoy)
    i feels my religious view have upset yawn!:yawn
    jus wana say. i know our views differ somewhat, and i dont think we'll agree on certain issues. but at the end of the day , im Catholic and so are you so we are of the same people; share the same bread and all that so lets not let religion come btw us. no hard feeligns man gd night n God bless x
    It is not that our views differ, shinytoy - just that you post stuff on other threads that divide the Catholic community from the rest of the forum members. We need to present a 'united' face amongst those not of our faith - particularly in this secular world. Whilst we may disagree on certain tenets of our faith, I have always asked you to confine those sorts of discussions to our society here. I am glad you are doing so in this instance. I have already told you on Religion D&D and Health and Relationships sub-forum that I do not wish to argue with you and have wished you peace. I do so again.

...and, if you need any clarification on any aspects of our faith, please use the society to ask for it.
    BTW - I have a good friend who was a convert to Catholicism about 10 years ago and she is now far more conversant with the Bible than I am!

Pax Christi

(Original post by fr browne)
    I would like to point out that two members of this soc have just seen Jerry Springer the Opera and laughedall the way through it
    I saw a show called "Once a Catholic" which had drawn some negative reviews from the Church and I found it hilarious, although somewhat irreligious in parts. If we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    SaccerZD is an atheist, so he would agree with anything that is perceived as 'anti-church'.
    (Original post by Me)
    (Original post by yawn)
    ...and since charity is not 'anti-church' but rather part of what being a Christian is all about, you would not knock it
    I don't understand that. You said I'd agree with anything that is 'anti-church', then I say I agree with charity, then you say charity is part of the church so I wouldn't be against it! I think I'm missing your point here, cos I don't understand what you're saying - could you clarify for me please?

I'll have to put it in a different context since I can see that it is confusing - sorry about that.

Let's say that a difference arises in opinion between secular society and the Church e.g. condoms protect against AIDs versus condoms encourage AIDS.

You would in all probability take the first stance rather than the latter, since the first one actually attacks the reasoning of the Church regarding the second.

Are you with me?

Now, the giving of Charity is not anathema to secularists presumably, and even though it is an intrinsic part of Christianity you will not condemn it because of the former.

I hope that is a little clearer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I saw a show called "Once a Catholic" which had drawn some negative reviews from the Church and I found it hilarious, although somewhat irreligious in parts. If we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?
    Exactly.
    I was laughing all the way through, I see no reason for the protestors to hate it.

ReputationRep:
    It is clearer; Part of the reason I would disagree is because it is intrinsically religious, true, but I would also disagree with it on a practical level.

ReputationRep:
    on the condoms/aids issue, my RCIA leader syas the Vatican hads shares in the British Rubber Company. is this true?? if so, :eek:

ReputationRep:
    on the condoms/aids issue, my RCIA leader syas the Vatican hads shares in the British Rubber Company. is this true?? if so, :eek:
    :rofl: f***in brilliant :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Well, surely we should do our bit to keep the vaticans shares at a healthy value

ReputationRep:
    We wouldn't want the ole' Cardinals not to have enough cash to fill the cellers now would we?

Bearing in mind the Liturgical calendar of Holy Week, I want to 'resurrect' this sadly neglected society with daily reflections.

9th April: Palm Sunday - "Gifts from God"

Let us use our gifts and talents for the sake of the kingdom of God.
    Isaiah 50: 4-7

There is no need to respond if you don't want to - just a reminder to you all.

I shall post a daily reflection for the rest of this week until and including Easter Sunday.

btw - why do you think that the statues and crucifix in church is covered this week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    btw - why do you think that the statues and crucifix in church is covered this week?
    Because we are entering Holy Week, and we are now before the time Christ was crucified, and the statues I have no idea about.

ReputationRep:
    Our crucifix is taken down but statues are left alone in most churches I know. strange.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.