TSR Catholic Society Watch

wikiellie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is virtually a year since I was accepted into the Catholic Church through the RCIA course. Since then, my journey of faith has deepened and my love for God strengthened. The parish I belong to is wonderful, and the parish priest is virtually a member of the family!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by wikiellie)
It is virtually a year since I was accepted into the Catholic Church through the RCIA course. Since then, my journey of faith has deepened and my love for God strengthened. The parish I belong to is wonderful, and the parish priest is virtually a member of the family!
Welcome to the Cath Soc! May you continue to grow in your love for God

yawn: Thanks. It's quite exciting. A bit nerve-wracking though! It's been a while since my own confirmation :eek:
wikiellie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Welcome to the Cath Soc! May you continue to grow in your love for God

yawn: Thanks. It's quite exciting. A bit nerve-wracking though! It's been a while since my own confirmation :eek:
Thank you! I feel that converting to Catholicism is the greatest thing I have/will ever do (I was previously a Methodist), but it has enabled me to deepen my faith and spiritual guidance
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 6 years ago
I'm so glad that your faith gives you so much joy. And parish priest love being invited into the homes of their parishoners. When I was growing up, my parents always had an open invititation to the clergy. Consequently I have always felt very at home around the clergy and religious.

One of the priests even used to call in most mornings after my dad got home from shift-work and the two of them would study 'form' for the day's race horsing, the nephew of the priest being a famous jockey!

yawn: Thanks. It's quite exciting. A bit nerve-wracking though! It's been a while since my own confirmation
That really won't be a problem for you. If you are selected to be a catechist, you'll have all the learning material at your fingertips, enabling you to be an expert when it comes to preparing the young candidates.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you! I feel that converting to Catholicism is the greatest thing I have/will ever do (I was previously a Methodist), but it has enabled me to deepen my faith and spiritual guidance
Well I'm sure you'll find our little community here very supportive of your ongoing journey :yep:

(Original post by yawn)
I'm so glad that your faith gives you so much joy. And parish priest love being invited into the homes of their parishoners. When I was growing up, my parents always had an open invititation to the clergy. Consequently I have always felt very at home around the clergy and religious.

One of the priests even used to call in most mornings after my dad got home from shift-work and the two of them would study 'form' for the day's race horsing, the nephew of the priest being a famous jockey!

That really won't be a problem for you. If you are selected to be a catechist, you'll have all the learning material at your fingertips, enabling you to be an expert when it comes to preparing the young candidates.
That's good then! The lady in charge assured me that they have quite an informal approach (as one would suspect, given my confessor's the parish priest ) :awesome:
wikiellie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yawn)

Thank you- my local priest sounds very much the same- very informal and always wishing to 'have tea sessions' at different parishioners houses. I've been actively involved in this parish for 2-3 years (I started attending before I became Catholic), and he has been round our house numerous times since then! It also seems quite nice that he has been coming round my house far more often than those of other parishioners! They say a priest always has his favourites!:beer::dancing2::rofl3:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Please all keep me in your prayers as I prepare to receive the Sacrament for the Sick tomorrow morning, and to try and return to my parish church for the first time since November, on Sunday
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Please all keep me in your prayers as I prepare to receive the Sacrament for the Sick tomorrow morning, and to try and return to my parish church for the first time since November, on Sunday
Good luck. :hugs:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hylean)
Good luck. :hugs:
Thank you :hugs:
yawn
Report 6 years ago
The sacrament will give you graces that will help protect you from harm Mass on Sunday.

You're in my thoughts and prayers as ever, my dear friend. :console:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Received the sacrament and made it through the service and subsequent adoration of the Eucharist without any incidents! :woo: :party: :woo:

Fr S summoned me out of adoration and we've fixed a meeting on Shrove Tuesday He was very kind and jovial, as always. Love that man :love:

Thank you all for your prayers. Please continue to pray that I make it to/through Mass OK tomorrow

Edit: Happy Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes! :woo: :party: :awesome: :party: :woo:
yawn
Report 6 years ago
Received the sacrament and made it through the service and subsequent adoration of the Eucharist without any incidents! :woo: :party: :woo:

Fr S summoned me out of adoration and we've fixed a meeting on Shrove Tuesday He was very kind and jovial, as always. Love that man :love:

Thank you all for your prayers. Please continue to pray that I make it to/through Mass OK tomorrow

Edit: Happy Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes! :woo: :party: :awesome: :party: :woo:
I'm so pleased that it went so well.

Regarding the feast day of Our Lady of Lourdes yesterday - it was mentioned in The Times newspaper!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oooh, I'll have to look that up, yawn!

Alas, I only slept at 2am and was too exhausted to go to Mass. My mother went though. New priest seems nice. She could feel a real difference within the parish and the new priest, Fr L's, attitude. It appears Fr D, our old priest, has returned to the seminary :yes:
yawn
Report 6 years ago
Oooh, I'll have to look that up, yawn!

Alas, I only slept at 2am and was too exhausted to go to Mass. My mother went though. New priest seems nice. She could feel a real difference within the parish and the new priest, Fr L's, attitude. It appears Fr D, our old priest, has returned to the seminary :yes:
What a pity that you couldn't get to Mass today since you were really looking forward to it. Still, there's always another day.

I'm sure your mum's sense of changed atmosphere in the parish is spot on. Mums are usually right!

It's interesting that Fr D has been moved out of parish work into presumably teaching seminarians. Sometimes, although one has a vocation, one isn't always placed in the best situation for oneself or one's 'flock.'
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
What a pity that you couldn't get to Mass today since you were really looking forward to it. Still, there's always another day.

I'm sure your mum's sense of changed atmosphere in the parish is spot on. Mums are usually right!

It's interesting that Fr D has been moved out of parish work into presumably teaching seminarians. Sometimes, although one has a vocation, one isn't always placed in the best situation for oneself or one's 'flock.'
I know! I'm at least grateful that I made it yesterday for the sacrament. Reintegrating into my parish can wait another week, I guess

Mum's are indeed very wise :ahee:

Ah, do you think that's what it is? That makes sense, putting him to teach seminarians. I think he'd be better at that than at being a parish priest :yes:
yawn
Report 6 years ago

Ah, do you think that's what it is? That makes sense, putting him to teach seminarians. I think he'd be better at that than at being a parish priest :yes:
I know of several priests who have been moved out of secular work...ie work in the community...and all of them have had problems with communicating effectively with people. Some would call it a form of social phobia. Invariably they are moved back into diocesan headquarters where they are not responsible for a parish, or have even joined closed communities where contact with parishioners is almost non-existent.

I believe that God has a plan for everyone of us, and sometimes we get it wrong and need to be guided to where He thinks we are best placed.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
I know of several priests who have been moved out of secular work...ie work in the community...and all of them have had problems with communicating effectively with people. Some would call it a form of social phobia. Invariably they are moved back into diocesan headquarters where they are not responsible for a parish, or have even joined closed communities where contact with parishioners is almost non-existent.

I believe that God has a plan for everyone of us, and sometimes we get it wrong and need to be guided to where He thinks we are best placed.
I think you're right. Fr D just wasn't a very personable priest. I don't think he had social phobia as such but he just wasn't good at handling people. He does seem quite a learned man though and so teaching in a seminary would probably suit him better :yes:

You're so right about how God has a plan and how we sometimes get it wrong. I wish I knew God's plan for me. I feel like I should have figured it out by now
Gulliviere
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi all!

I'm new to TSR and I would really love to join this society
I'm going for a postgrad study in the UK this sept/oct, I've got several offers already and I'm leaning towards York. So if there's anybody here who has any information about the catholic youth society in York or any church most people attend in York would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gulliviere)
Hi all!

I'm going for a postgrad study in the UK this sept/oct, I've got several offers already and I'm leaning towards York. So if there's anybody here who has any information about the catholic youth society in York or any church most people attend in York would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!
Hiya! Welcome to the Soc! :hugs:

I'm afraid I don't know about Catholics in York. Feel free to make yourself at home on this thread though
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gulliviere)
Hi all!

Cheers!
Hi! Just flying in and I will give you all an update on everything soon.

A quick google found this

http://www.york.ac.uk/univ/chap/soci...s.shtml#cassoc

http://yorkcassoc.weebly.com/index.html

http://www.facebook.com/groups/2242591096/

Should get you started
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (985)
79.37%
Leave (256)
20.63%

Watched Threads