The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yawn
Wow...well done! I didn't know that you had been accepted as a catechist - you kept that quiet, or else I missed a relevant post.

Regarding Adams post ...

the links and advice that Adam gave you are exemplary...I can't add to them since they will provide everything you need to help you. I'm so pleased for you, my friend.

Edit: since Adam pointed you in the direction of Scott Hahn, I would reinforce that because he gives a magnificent account of how the "Mass is immersed in the Bible, and the Bible is immersed in the Mass." It's very revealing about how the liturgy of the Mass reflects scriptural texts precisely. I think it's in his book 'Reasons to Believe' but you might find something about it on the web if you can't get hold of the book for any reason. I've silenced more than one detractor of the Catholic church who claims our Mass is a 'man-made construct' by referring them to various parts of the Mass liturgy and cross-referencing them with the scriptural texts citing author, chapter and verse!

Thanks for this :hugs: I don't think I mentioned it coz I'm still wary that my health will get in the way and that I'll have to quit :colondollar:

On that note, I think an episode may have started. It will take quite a while to establish whether it is an episode or merely a blip. Hopefully the latter :frown:

Will have to watch the second show on iPlayer :biggrin:
Reply 3901
The_Lonely_Goatherd

I hope you're feeling a little better today. If not, then I hope and pray that in the future, your 'episodes' get less frequent of lesser duration. :console:
Original post by yawn
I hope you're feeling a little better today. If not, then I hope and pray that in the future, your 'episodes' get less frequent of lesser duration. :console:

Thanks. I had a restless night. Not feeling good at all. Am notifying people in my team :sadnod:
Reply 3903
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Thanks hun :hugs:

Glad you got a lot out of the retreat. It sounds like it was quite a profound experience for you :yes:

That looks absolutely amaaaaaaaaazing! :moon: Wish I were well enough to do these kind of things. My mum is already freaking out about Step Into the Gap, even though I told her I won't get it :sad:

:yep: it was a bit amazing.
These last three days have made me properly realise how different it was to normal life here though. Kinda funny really.

I know :daydreaming:
Wish I had enough money to do these kind of things :sad:

Also, really really hope things are going okay for you right now :hugs:
Original post by Aula
:yep: it was a bit amazing.
These last three days have made me properly realise how different it was to normal life here though. Kinda funny really.

I know :daydreaming:
Wish I had enough money to do these kind of things :sad:

Also, really really hope things are going okay for you right now :hugs:

:console:

Alas, I'm back to being really ill again. On the plus side, I had an email from the guy at SPEC and they were really nice and supportive, inviting me to come and see them before I apply, or just to make an application straightaway :smile:
Reply 3905
:console:

Alas, I'm back to being really ill again. On the plus side, I had an email from the guy at SPEC and they were really nice and supportive, inviting me to come and see them before I apply, or just to make an application straightaway :smile:

Oh no! :frown:

But that's good. I said he'd get back to you eventually :yep:

I don't suppose anyone here's ever been to Assisi and can recommend somewhere cheap to stay?
Reply 3906
Original post by Aula

I don't suppose anyone here's ever been to Assisi and can recommend somewhere cheap to stay?

Going to Assisi then - lucky you? :smile: I've not been there myself but was thinking that most dioceses organise pilgrimages that include Assisi, and whilst pilgrims might not have stayed in accomodation this is not exlusively for that purpose, they might know of cheaper accommodation through 'chit-chat' whilst there.

Alternatively, maybe TripAdvisor has the information you seek. Just a thought. I'll have a quick check now and let you know...

Edit: I've not checked prices but the link will also guide you to a discussion forum about Assisi. Good hunting! http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SmartDeals-g187905-Assisi_Umbria-Hotel-Deals.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3907
Original post by yawn
Going to Assisi then - lucky you? :smile: I've not been there myself but was thinking that most dioceses organise pilgrimages that include Assisi, and whilst pilgrims might not have stayed in accomodation this is not exlusively for that purpose, they might know of cheaper accommodation through 'chit-chat' whilst there.

Alternatively, maybe TripAdvisor has the information you seek. Just a thought. I'll have a quick check now and let you know...

Edit: I've not checked prices but the link will also guide you to a discussion forum about Assisi. Good hunting! http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SmartDeals-g187905-Assisi_Umbria-Hotel-Deals.html

I'm going interrailling with friends in the summer, and while they're staying in Verona and then heading to Zurich, I'm probably going to head down to Florence and then a couple of days in Assisi, if I can find cheap enough places to stay. Might try e-mailing a couple of convents and seeing if they have anywhere to stay. The problem with diocese or parish pilgrimages is that they're generally aimed at people with a bit more money though, I'm hoping for as cheap as possible.

I had a look on TripAdvisor, but they tend to be more hotels and B&Bs. B&B may be the answer, but I shall keep looking. Thanks though!
Thanks Adam, really appreciate the link and the book suggestions. Part II of Jesus of Nazareth is already on its way to me actually, since my hospital chaplain and I are at a bit of a loss what to do with me during Lent and this seemed like a good move forward :yes:

How are things with you? :hugs:

That's okay. Can't believe I forgot to mention YouCat as well! I have a copy as well now :biggrin: It's an excellent book. The chapter on our Lord's suffering in the garden is particuarly brilliant. I know it was described by one famous theologian as "the most extraordinary piece of theology of our time. ... astonishingly adventuresome.". I'll also reccomend this book if you're teaching young people. I would suggest getting them a copy each as it answers all the hard questions with regard to JPII's theology of the body but in simple terms. A friend of mine lends it to every young Catholic she meets who doesn't understand these teachings and it transforms them :biggrin: I'm excellent thank you. I just booked to spend Easter in ROME :party: and will get to attend the Papal Masses, etc. Amazing :biggrin: I hope you're feeling well. Saying a prayer for you because of the other stuff I've read in the thread :hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by adamrules247
That's okay. Can't believe I forgot to mention YouCat as well! I have a copy as well now :biggrin: It's an excellent book. The chapter on our Lord's suffering in the garden is particuarly brilliant. I know it was described by one famous theologian as "the most extraordinary piece of theology of our time. ... astonishingly adventuresome.". I'll also reccomend this book if you're teaching young people. I would suggest getting them a copy each as it answers all the hard questions with regard to JPII's theology of the body but in simple terms. A friend of mine lends it to every young Catholic she meets who doesn't understand these teachings and it transforms them :biggrin: I'm excellent thank you. I just booked to spend Easter in ROME :party: and will get to attend the Papal Masses, etc. Amazing :biggrin: I hope you're feeling well. Saying a prayer for you because of the other stuff I've read in the thread :hugs:

Thanks for the other book suggestion. WOW, ROME!!!!!! :woo: :party: :woo: That's incredible! We'll expect a full report once you're back! What an honour! :biggrin:

Thanks. I'm a teeny bit better today but still in a very bad place. Knowing there are lots of people praying for me helps though :hugs:
Reply 3910
I'm going to a Lenten Talk at our Parish church tonight. The talk is being given by our equivalent of a Parish Priest in the Greek Orthodox Church. The subject is how the Greek Orthodox faith prepare for Easter.

I'm so looking forward to learning from this man about the faith practice of our Orthodox brothers-and-sisters-in Christ.

We have already started our ecumenical journey by having one of our many church socials at our annual dinner hosted by the local Greek club. This event is always one of great enjoyment and true friendship...good food, zorba-style dancing and plentiful supply of good wine! Genuine ecumenism in practice! :shakehand:
Original post by yawn
I'm going to a Lenten Talk at our Parish church tonight. The talk is being given by our equivalent of a Parish Priest in the Greek Orthodox Church. The subject is how the Greek Orthodox faith prepare for Easter.

I'm so looking forward to learning from this man about the faith practice of our Orthodox brothers-and-sisters-in Christ.

We have already started our ecumenical journey by having one of our many church socials at our annual dinner hosted by the local Greek club. This event is always one of great enjoyment and true friendship...good food, zorba-style dancing and plentiful supply of good wine! Genuine ecumenism in practice! :shakehand:

That sounds lovely. I hope you have a good time tonight. I imagine it will be very interesting indeed, from the little I know about the Greek Orthodox church.

Second confirmation meeting tonight! Trying to swot up on the Liturgy of the Word :eek:
Reply 3912
That sounds lovely. I hope you have a good time tonight. I imagine it will be very interesting indeed, from the little I know about the Greek Orthodox church.

First Mass, followed by supper and then the Lenten talk. The Greek Orthodox priest (yes, they are called priests and referred to as Father when addressing them) explained that the Lenten period is called 'Great Lent' in the GO church, our Advent being Lent for them also. During the course of Lent (which doesn't coincide exactly with our own dates) they start fasting and abstaining from certain foods on Wednesday and Friday. The following week they fast and abstain every day apart from Saturday and Sunday. They are not permitted any meat, fish or oils apart from olives and taramasalata which is made from fish roe. He said they are allowed olives and taramaslata because they have to eat something. Gradually their diet becomes even more restricted until even oil at the week-end is excluded. Their liturgies get longer and longer too!

The priest was urging us to pray for unity between our churches saying that their ecumenical council had accepted the Pope as primate and their 'top' Archbishop as second to the Pope. Quite frankly this really surprised me since one of the reasons for the original schism was that they did not accept that one person could be infallible as their faith requires that infallibility can only exist within a council of bishops. Obviously this is no longer a barrier to unity. I must say he was extremely enthusiastic about the unity matter and since we were allowed to make comment, I spoke of unity between all Christians, say that the attacks of New Atheism [NA] against Christianity seemed to actually draw us closer together, along with Islam and Judaism and uniting us against attempts by governments to remove the right to conscience by changing laws that impacted on religious faith and practice.

Whilst NA was seeking to eradicate religion from society it was inadvertently uniting all of the Abrahamic faiths in a fight back against their prime aim. He said he was looking for unity between the Latin church and the Orthodox church, not all Christians or other Abrahmic faith groups! I guess he meant that we should be taking 'baby steps' and uniting all of orthodoxy with Catholicism in the first place. I guess I'm a little impatient wanting the unity of all of Christendom as soon as possible. Still, NA is prompting unity which is the antithesis of what they want. "God works in mysterious ways."

Second confirmation meeting tonight! Trying to swot up on the Liturgy of the Word :eek:

How did it go? You'll be able to keep us up-to-speed on the revised Liturgy. We know who to come to if we want clarification on some matter or other in future. :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
First Mass, followed by supper and then the Lenten talk. The Greek Orthodox priest (yes, they are called priests and referred to as Father when addressing them) explained that the Lenten period is called 'Great Lent' in the GO church, our Advent being Lent for them also. During the course of Lent (which doesn't coincide exactly with our own dates) they start fasting and abstaining from certain foods on Wednesday and Friday. The following week they fast and abstain every day apart from Saturday and Sunday. They are not permitted any meat, fish or oils apart from olives and taramasalata which is made from fish roe. He said they are allowed olives and taramaslata because they have to eat something. Gradually their diet becomes even more restricted until even oil at the week-end is excluded. Their liturgies get longer and longer too!

The priest was urging us to pray for unity between our churches saying that their ecumenical council had accepted the Pope as primate and their 'top' Archbishop as second to the Pope. Quite frankly this really surprised me since one of the reasons for the original schism was that they did not accept that one person could be infallible as their faith requires that infallibility can only exist within a council of bishops. Obviously this is no longer a barrier to unity. I must say he was extremely enthusiastic about the unity matter and since we were allowed to make comment, I spoke of unity between all Christians, say that the attacks of New Atheism [NA] against Christianity seemed to actually draw us closer together, along with Islam and Judaism and uniting us against attempts by governments to remove the right to conscience by changing laws that impacted on religious faith and practice.

Whilst NA was seeking to eradicate religion from society it was inadvertently uniting all of the Abrahamic faiths in a fight back against their prime aim. He said he was looking for unity between the Latin church and the Orthodox church, not all Christians or other Abrahmic faith groups! I guess he meant that we should be taking 'baby steps' and uniting all of orthodoxy with Catholicism in the first place. I guess I'm a little impatient wanting the unity of all of Christendom as soon as possible. Still, NA is prompting unity which is the antithesis of what they want. "God works in mysterious ways."

How did it go? You'll be able to keep us up-to-speed on the revised Liturgy. We know who to come to if we want clarification on some matter or other in future. :h:

It sounds like a very interesting talk. I'm glad you went along and enjoyed it :yes:

Alas, that will not be true. These confirmation classes are a very basic affair. Some of these kids don't even know what Pentecost is :frown: So it's right back to the drawing board :yes:
Reply 3914

Alas, that will not be true. These confirmation classes are a very basic affair. Some of these kids don't even know what Pentecost is :frown: So it's right back to the drawing board :yes:

Maybe some of the confirmandi attend secular schools...but one wonders what their first and most important teachers - their parents - are doing about ensuring their spiritual education especially as they themselves are presumably Christian since they seek this sacrament for their offspring.

As Adam has said elsewhere, there is a crisis in catechesis generally. It makes me feel angry as well as sad.:mad::frown:
Original post by yawn
Maybe some of the confirmandi attend secular schools...but one wonders what their first and most important teachers - their parents - are doing about ensuring their spiritual education especially as they themselves are presumably Christian since they seek this sacrament for their offspring.

As Adam has said elsewhere, there is a crisis in catechesis generally. It makes me feel angry as well as sad.:mad::frown:

I'm ashamed to say that most of the girls in the group come from my secondary school :sadnod: Makes me wonder what on earth goes on there these days, if you can reach Year 9/10 without knowing basic things like what Pentecost is :s-smilie:
Reply 3916
I'm ashamed to say that most of the girls in the group come from my secondary school :sadnod: Makes me wonder what on earth goes on there these days, if you can reach Year 9/10 without knowing basic things like what Pentecost is :s-smilie:

I must admit to feelings of incredulity that RE courses which limit learning to questions of ethics and morals are given the official 'imprimatur' by the Bishops of England and Wales as sufficient for teaching Catholics about their faith beliefs and practices.

My father, as a parent, when consulted by my primary school as to whether the RE course was considered suitable to his children told them in no uncertain terms that how could a course entitled "Here I Am" be sufficient for the propogation of faith to the next generation. Their response was that it was the parents' responsibility to take their children to Mass every week and to treat it as a teaching opportunity. I agree with their sentiment but it would have helped if the school corroborated what they were being taught by their parents. :rolleyes:

Edit: I've found a link to the 'Here I Am' programme. I can't believe they're still using it as a teaching tool of the Catholic faith, especially since the crisis in Catechesis is well recognised now. You can see for yourself how inadequate it is in instilling knowledge of our faith in our children. http://www.sdc.me.uk/hereiam/hia-routed.htm
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
I must admit to feelings of incredulity that RE courses which limit learning to questions of ethics and morals are given the official 'imprimatur' by the Bishops of England and Wales as sufficient for teaching Catholics about their faith beliefs and practices.

My father, as a parent, when consulted by my primary school as to whether the RE course was considered suitable to his children told them in no uncertain terms that how could a course entitled "Here I Am" be sufficient for the propogation of faith to the next generation. Their response was that it was the parents' responsibility to take their children to Mass every week and to treat it as a teaching opportunity. I agree with their sentiment but it would have helped if the school corroborated what they were being taught by their parents. :rolleyes:

Edit: I've found a link to the 'Here I Am' programme. I can't believe they're still using it as a teaching tool of the Catholic faith, especially since the crisis in Catechesis is well recognised now. You can see for yourself how inadequate it is in instilling knowledge of our faith in our children. http://www.sdc.me.uk/hereiam/hia-routed.htm

Just had a brief glance and didn't want to look any further. I'm quite incredulous too :lolwut: No wonder people are growing up not knowing about their faith properly :facepalm:
Reply 3918
Is anyone going to Flame? There's only two weeks left!
I'm getting a little excited now. :awesome:
Original post by yawn

Urgh. No wonder people are lapsing. Spoke to a wonderful Catholic teacher though the other day who teaches in a Catholic secondry school (where Mass attendence is 60%), they had about 200 kids going to Confession, and the children are genuinely curious asking her all sorts of questions which she's able to answer. She also makes sure that the RE lessons don't get taken over as "fair trade" lessons. Basically she's catechising the kids properly. This ties in with the new RE programme they're using in Scotland called "This is Our Faith". So it's good news up here :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending