TSR Catholic Society Watch

yawn
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fr browne)
Hah we dont have one so I have no idea.
I'm sure you do have one, as it is a requirement for all churches.

Have you never noticed how the acolytes go over to the side and bring back the water container and a white cloth to the priest for him to wash his hands whilst saying "Lord, wash away my iniquity, cleanse me from my sin"?

I'm setting the scene to prompt your memory!

All the items required for this part of the Mass are kept on this particular table. Now...think hard and see if you can come up with the answer.

There's rep for you if you are the first to give the correct answer, remember!
Daragh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
I'm sure you do have one, as it is a requirement for all churches.

Have you never noticed how the acolytes go over to the side and bring back the water container and a white cloth to the priest for him to wash his hands whilst saying "Lord, wash away my iniquity, cleanse me from my sin"?

I'm setting the scene to prompt your memory!

All the items required for this part of the Mass are kept on this particular table. Now...think hard and see if you can come up with the answer.

There's rep for you if you are the first to give the correct answer, remember!
I believe you are looking for the credence table.
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Todays rep awarding question is; What is the name of the small table placed within the sanctuary of a church at the 'Epistle' side for the purpose of holding the cruets, chalice, paten. corporal and veil, until the Offertory?
credence table

i told my mom what happened at confession last night (it was a penitential service, not a proper confession) and she thought it was funny.

EDIT: i only just say deej's post above. looks like the prof beat me to it!
yawn
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by deej2)
I believe you are looking for the credence table.
Correct, deej2. Give the man a gold star!
shinytoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
isnt deej the guy going to be a priest? well done man i found the answer by cutting and pasting yawn's Q into google lol

im well excited about getting confirmed on saturday. it seems to have more meanign to me than my cofE one when i was like 14. any of you remember your confirmation how did you feel and what was it like

i dont understand why my church only has 2 other people getting confirmed though, as there is a catholic school joined to it - surely people there get confirmed and it cant be in the school itself can it?
yawn
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shinytoy)
isnt deej the guy going to be a priest? well done man i found the answer by cutting and pasting yawn's Q into google lol
You wouldn't be wanting to infer that deej2 arrived at the answer by the same means, would you? Not very kind if that is the case.

i dont understand why my church only has 2 other people getting confirmed though, as there is a catholic school joined to it - surely people there get confirmed and it cant be in the school itself can it?
You are being Confirmed by the RCIA programme and traditionally they are admitted into full communion with the Church at the Easter vigil Mass.

Presumably those students at the Catholic School are already members of the Catholic Church and as such, they don't have to undergo the programme. They could be Confirmed any time of the year that the Bishop is available.
shinytoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol no if deej is going to be a priest im sure he didnt resort to the measures i did to find the answer!

on the second point cheers, i was wonderign about that , there just seems to be so few converts! 3!
fr browne
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ah that table, I thought you were on about on at the back thats used before the offertory, shuld have read the question more carefully.
shinytoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do you believe in all the saints? i mean im sure some are made up. i read one i think it was Nina of something, who was beheaded and carried her head across the country under her arm! thats quite cool. and some others who had gifts like bi-location and flight.

there was this really cool woman St SYNCLETICA who was a Wealthy Alexandrian lady who abandoned her wealth and lived till age 84 in a tomb. i mean whats so good about that? seems a bit of a waste!
Ossie1701
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

im well excited about getting confirmed on saturday. it seems to have more meanign to me than my cofE one when i was like 14. any of you remember your confirmation how did you feel and what was it like
Yep - a few years ago now (2001 I think, possibly 2002) - I enjoyed it - have you chosen a Confirmation name? I chose - Thomas Aquinas. Its a great experience, and afterwards, at least from my perspective - you feel properly part of the church!
When I got confirmed - there were loads of people my age - (14ish) - around 30 - and my church only has one priest - which is really low for such a large congregation, about 15 years ago, it had about 4!! Just shows that the number of priests must be seriously being stretched!

But, anyway - back to confirmation - it will be a great experience!
shinytoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
nope im still choosing! i got told on monday that i needed one so i started looking. everyone else is sorted tho, Pat is choosing Patrick, Joy is choosing Mary Mother of God.
here's my thread about my search.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=210638

i think probably Maria Goretti, but the more i look the more i like! i dont think Fr Brian can say St Cuautlatoatzin tho what do they actually say to you when they confirm you? why do they call you as if you were that saint? like do they say 'Thomas Aquinas i confirm you in the Holy Spirit'? :confused:

i read about the decline in number of priests. i think they should be allowed to marry!
Ossie1701
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There was a small evening mass the day before (possibly two days before) and they read out the confirmation names - but not in Saint forms - most of them were, i.e. they were read out 'Mark, John, Luke'.

Well, There was a whole procession - because so many people were being confirmed, and all it was - (physically - spiritually of course, it a great deal more amazing) going before the Bishop, knelling (on both knees - I made the mistake in the practice and knelled on one knee and it looked like I was proposing!) and then (it was quite a while ago) the Bishop sort of grabs your shoulders and says something like "Thomas ..." - grabs is a bit of a bad word - sounds like an assault - but its not, lol.

With my confirmation name - I was always going to be a 'Thomas' - it was just a matter of which: Apostle, More, Aquinas etc. But choosing which took some time!
Ossie1701
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi there - just wondering what people think about the idea of Papal infalliability ... I am slightly cautious, as a Historian - History is littered with, what can best be described as 'dodgy' - and I was wondering - if this idea a modern one (i.e. the last 100 years) or has it been around since the Medieval period (I know Catholicism was around in Roman Times, but evidence is so scant, its quite hard to tell anything).

Also - do people think this should be taken with a pinch of salt - in that - can a human really be infallable? (other than Christ and the Virgin Mary) - I do not believe the Pope should/could be compared to the afore mentioned - OR am I getting the wrong end of the stick here?
Daragh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol no if deej is going to be a priest im sure he didnt resort to the measures i did to find the answer!
Hehe, nope, I knew that from my days as an Altar Server
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ad-astra)
Yep - a few years ago now (2001 I think, possibly 2002) - I enjoyed it - have you chosen a Confirmation name? I chose - Thomas Aquinas. Its a great experience, and afterwards, at least from my perspective - you feel properly part of the church!
When I got confirmed - there were loads of people my age - (14ish) - around 30 - and my church only has one priest - which is really low for such a large congregation, about 15 years ago, it had about 4!! Just shows that the number of priests must be seriously being stretched!

But, anyway - back to confirmation - it will be a great experience!
My confirmation was 2 years ago on my birthday (which I also share with my cousin) on the first day of my holiday in the Seychelles. The mass was mostly in french (and bishop/archbishop that was doing the confirmation was not coherent to me at all not only because I didn't really understand french. I was SERIOUSLY tired due to the time difference and because I only slept for about 30mins on the plane.
Everything about the confirmation was beautiful (e.g. the singing) and I am glad I had it there rather than here last for at least two hours.
I swear. It was like the bishop/archbishop said one sentence and there was singing, another sentence and there was more singing was funny but cool.
When I went back to my other cousin's house (he was doing his confirmation with me), there was a double confirmation/double birthday party from about 6pm till 4 am. I got two cakes.
It was like a dream.
yawn
Report 12 years ago
12th April - Wednesday of Passion Week

Daily Reflection:

Silver Pieces

Salvation by our God is worth more than any amount of gold or silver.
Matthew 26:14-25

Rep for the first person to give the correct answer - excluding those who have already been awarded it - to this question;

What is/are the only day/days in the Church year when the Sacramental rites of the Church are not celebrated?
fr browne
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Good Friday and Easter Saturday (excluding the vigil)
fr browne
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ad-astra)
Hi there - just wondering what people think about the idea of Papal infalliability ... I am slightly cautious, as a Historian - History is littered with, what can best be described as 'dodgy' - and I was wondering - if this idea a modern one (i.e. the last 100 years) or has it been around since the Medieval period (I know Catholicism was around in Roman Times, but evidence is so scant, its quite hard to tell anything).

Also - do people think this should be taken with a pinch of salt - in that - can a human really be infallable? (other than Christ and the Virgin Mary) - I do not believe the Pope should/could be compared to the afore mentioned - OR am I getting the wrong end of the stick here?

I pretty sure its a hangover from darker ages within the church ie; the crusades, thats as far back as I know it goes, it may go farther. The rule of thumb has been refined to say that the Pope cannot be infalliable on matters of faith, rather than to say he is infalliable period.
Ossie1701
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Great - that clears things up a bit and makes more sense! Cheers!
yawn
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fr browne)
Good Friday and Easter Saturday (excluding the vigil)
Correct,fr browne!

I shall post my 'daily reflection' as early as I can each morning, but to give our later risers a chance at earning some +rep, I'll delay the question till later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.35%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.35%

Watched Threads