Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Catholic Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I already have it. :p:
    But sadly, like most of the books I bought this year (Economics textbooks!) it's yet to be read :s:

(Original post by minimo)
    I already have it. :p:
    But sadly, like most of the books I bought this year (Economics textbooks!) it's yet to be read :s:
    I glad to hear you have it - I've yet to buy it, much to my shame.

Maybe you could use the reflecting period today on making a start - how about looking up the Apostle's Creed and finding out the relevance of the part "He descended to the dead" ?

...and if you get the chance, let us all know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    2nd day of the Easter Triduum - Good Friday.

Daily Reflection

Fully Human
    Fully divine, Jesus took on the full experience of being human, though it meant suffering and death. He did this for love.
    Hebrews 4:14-16; 5:7-9

Today's question for rep for anyone who hasn't already had rep from the questions so far:

What is the title given to a new pocket sized hardback book that is a 'question and answer' summary of the 1992 Cathechism of the Catholic Church?

...and when you know the answer, go out and buy it since it covers all aspects of the Catholic Faith!!
    Its "Compendium".

I have never noticed this society before. :confused: Then again I don't usually look in the societies subforum.

(Original post by Ataloss)
    Its "Compendium".

I have never noticed this society before. :confused: Then again I don't usually look in the societies subforum.
    Rep for you, Ataloss! Well done.

If you're a Catholic, feel free to join our society if you wish.

Today for the Good Friday service, we had a Priest from Leeds take the service I thought of all you guys.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, yawn - it's in Cambridge and i'm home in the Middle East for Easter. :s:
    Anyone going to an Easter Vigil tomorrow? It's easi;y my favourite service of the year - beats Christmas!! Love the start of it with the fire.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, heres a question (to add to the many I have asked and have been speedily answered - thankyou) - God the father, God the son (Jesus) and God the Holy Spirit - the three leaf clover idea really does not explain anything to me. I do not really understand the relationship between them, i.e. do they have one consciousness? If yes, why did Jesus refer to the father and actually speak / pray to the father - i.e. Father forgive them etc. ALthough, I of course accept that they are 'one entity' as such - I really do not understand the relationship between them - i.e. because, for example, Jesus is God incarnate - God in physical form, and the holy spirit is spirit - what therefore is the father? And were all three (of course this is quite unknowable, but still a valid question) around with the creation of the universe - or did God (the father - I always take him (?) as the main/central one) evolve/create the others?

Born and raised a Catholic and still the most basic dogma evades me!
    P.S. I will give +rep to anyone who can give me a decent answer - as it is quite a long winded question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ad-astra)
    Hi, heres a question (to add to the many I have asked and have been speedily answered - thankyou) - God the father, God the son (Jesus) and God the Holy Spirit - the three leaf clover idea really does not explain anything to me. I do not really understand the relationship between them, i.e. do they have one consciousness? If yes, why did Jesus refer to the father and actually speak / pray to the father - i.e. Father forgive them etc. ALthough, I of course accept that they are 'one entity' as such - I really do not understand the relationship between them - i.e. because, for example, Jesus is God incarnate - God in physical form, and the holy spirit is spirit - what therefore is the father? And were all three (of course this is quite unknowable, but still a valid question) around with the creation of the universe - or did God (the father - I always take him (?) as the main/central one) evolve/create the others?
    I would just like to say that the current Rector of USHAW, when he was a deacon demonstrated very well whilst studying to become a priest that the Trinity was a mystery, so much so he confused the rector at the time :p:

(Original post by Ad-astra)

Born and raised a Catholic and still the most basic dogma evades me!
    P.S. I will give +rep to anyone who can give me a decent answer - as it is quite a long winded question!
    Nathan (our forum theology student) gives a good explanation of the Holy Trinity in this thread - beware it is a few pages long with interspersions from other members (moi, included!) but is very informative.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=117514

I don't seek any rep - if you feel any is deserved it rightly belongs to Nathan.

(Original post by yo-less)
    Today for the Good Friday service, we had a Priest from Leeds take the service I thought of all you guys.
    Thanks, yo-less.

It proves the spirit of Ecumenism is alive.

Don't be shy - if you can't find a 'niche' that you feel comfortable in, within the Religious societies, feel free to contribute here.

(Original post by yawn)
    Thanks, yo-less.

It proves the spirit of Ecumenism is alive.

Don't be shy - if you can't find a 'niche' that you feel comfortable in, within the Religious societies, feel free to contribute here.
    Thanks, I really appreciate that. You're a rare person (in a good way).

ReputationRep:
    Yo-less, yawn speaks for all of us. Catholics arn't crazy people who think non-Catholics/non-Chrisitians are going to be damned to the depths of Hell!

Daily Reflection

Holy Saturday

Going Home:

As Jesus spent time in the tomb, so we wait for the day that he returns in glory. On that day, he will take us home to the Father's house.
    Mark 16: 1-7

I would like to take this opportunity to show support to shinytoy for her entry to full communion with the Catholic Church at this evening's 'Easter Vigil' Mass.

Welcome to your new 'home' shinytoy.

I'll post today's +rep awarding question later. I've got to think of a real 'toughie' to provide a challenge!

+rep question! Please do not answer if you have already been award rep for answers to questions asked this Passion Week.

Whilst 'robing' for Mass, the priest says a sequence of prayers relevant to each item of vestment.

What is the prayer he says whilst putting on the Chasuble?

ReputationRep:
    A happy, joyous and holy Easter to all.

*sings* Jesus Christ is risen today Alleluia

(Original post by yawn)
    +rep question! Please do not answer if you have already been award rep for answers to questions asked this Passion Week.

Whilst 'robing' for Mass, the priest says a sequence of prayers relevant to each item of vestment.

What is the prayer he says whilst putting on the Chasuble?
    This question was really tricky - sorry.

The prayer said is:

O Lord, who said "My yoke is easy and my burden light" - grant me that I may bear it well and follow after you with thanksgiving. Amen.

Easter Sunday

Daily Reflection - New Life

God has redeemed all of creation, and made all things new. Let us live accordingly in true freedom and joy. Alleluia!
    Colossians 3:1-4

(Original post by fr browne)
    A happy, joyous and holy Easter to all.

*sings* Jesus Christ is risen today Alleluia
    Thank you, fr browne. I echo your sentiments and would like to add that this has to be the 'best' day in the Liturgical Year, imo.

An easy question today for someone!

A special girl who is celebrating Easter for her own very special reason!

What saint did shinytoy choose as her Confirmation name? I don't know the answer myself, but am reliant on her to give the answer and get the +rep.

ReputationRep:
    Awwww!
    Yep, congrats shiny! Hope everyone has an excellent Easter.
    I decided that having failed miserably at New Year's Resolutions, I should make Easter resolutions - Easter being a time of new life etc.
    --Help my friends more/generally be a better friend
    --Be proud of myself for who I am rather than always comparing myself to others and feeling inferior.
    --WORK HARDER and get a first in June exams! (:p:)
    --Be more sociable
    --Be a better Christian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Thank you, fr browne. I echo your sentiments and would like to add that this has to be the 'best' day in the Liturgical Year, imo.

An easy question today for someone!

A special girl who is celebrating Easter for her own very special reason!

What saint did shinytoy choose as her Confirmation name? I don't know the answer myself, but am reliant on her to give the answer and get the +rep.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello everyone!hi yawn thanks, how was your easter?

i was confirmed on saturday. it was really a lovely service, and i think it was in fact one of the most significant days of my life along with my wedding and graduations. i will always remember it.

in the end i didnt use any confirmation name. when Fr Brian went to confirm me and asked what my name was i just used my own name. he just looked at me funny - i hope it wasnt necessary!

this was because i had narrowed it to st zita and st juan diego (i was impressed by his life). but my mom said that being confirmed in the name of a siant and asking for their intercession was liike invoking the dead and that she wouldnt come if i used one. and she says the catholic verneration of saints is wrong and that only God should be vereated. the other guy Ed kept his name Edward, but in fact there is a saint edward. so i was the only one who didnt have one. i kinda regret not using one now tho, cos like i cant have a patron saint day and i think im in a minority not having one.

how was all of your Easters? did you all have a good time?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.