The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by barnetlad
The Pope is going to be on Twitter and send his first message next week on the 12th.

I read that earlier today and instantly went and followed him. This should be an interesting experience! :biggrin:

How are we all doing in general? After a lot of discerning, I think I have finally decided not to apply to be a volunteer missionary for the Diocese of Westminster. It's a sad decision to come to but since not one but two priests have warned me against it, I think it's only sensible to take heed of their advice :frown:
Reply 4621
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
How are we all doing in general? After a lot of discerning, I think I have finally decided not to apply to be a volunteer missionary for the Diocese of Westminster. It's a sad decision to come to but since not one but two priests have warned me against it, I think it's only sensible to take heed of their advice :frown:

That's a shame, but God will put you where you are meant to be. :yep:

I just wish I knew where that was for me :erm:
Original post by Aula
That's a shame, but God will put you where you are meant to be. :yep:

I just wish I knew where that was for me :erm:

Thanks. I'm quite disappointed in myself but I think it would worry my current spiritual director too much if I tried to go through with it. He raised some very good points about what might happen if I tried and how it's not compatible with my health right now :frown:

:hugs: Shall be praying for your discernment, hun. Any luck with job applications? I'm not having any atm :nah:
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
A few years ago I was a very passionate Christian, but as can happen I guess with a lot of people I hit a crisis point in my faith, I met with a priest inquiring about Catholicism and after that meeting I was told he would get back in touch with me and introduce me to a few groups and courses, but for whatever reason that never happened and I never felt a strong urge to follow up on it, I kind of took it as a sign at the time and didn't pursue it any further.
Since then ive had a real roller-coaster of a spiritual journey, converting to or trying out a number of faiths, and finding elements of peace, love and God in many of them but nothing that quite..filled me, only satiating my hunger for a small time.

However a few months ago I felt a really overwhelming call back to Christ, and accepted him back into my life with a passion I never had those few years ago, it really is something I can barely describe.
Alongside this re-newing of my faith ive had a really strong call to the Catholic Church, at first I did my normal thing and re-opened all my books , re-familieraised myself with parts of the faith I had forgotten, re-read the catechism's and really prayed for guidance, I tried to discern if it was me looking for "Somewhere to belong" a re-surgance of that earlier interest or a genuine calling from God.

The more I read, and the more I talked with God the more I became so sure that it was calling home.
Co cut a story short, Ive just had a meeting confirmed with a local Priest for a talk and to help me get started on the RCIA programme.

Sorry for the little ramble, im just feeling very , well I suppose HAPPY about this and thought I had to share it with some people who might perhaps know what im going through.

Good for you! And God Bless you! I did something similar :biggrin:
Original post by adamrules247
Good for you! And God Bless you! I did something similar :biggrin:

Thank you!
I had my first RCIA session last night, Ive jumped in four weeks late but everyone seems to think that's no problem , the Fr seems assured ive done my research.

It was a really wonderful group of people, a lot more thoughtful and exploitative than I thought it would be.
To be honest I was expecting "This is the Catholic stance...these are the verses we use to support it..here is a prayer!" but was warmly surprised to find that not the case!
Reply 4625
Thanks. I'm quite disappointed in myself but I think it would worry my current spiritual director too much if I tried to go through with it. He raised some very good points about what might happen if I tried and how it's not compatible with my health right now :frown:

No, it seems sensible to me. If you're meant to do something of the sort, then an opportunity will arise when you are ready for it.

:hugs: Shall be praying for your discernment, hun. Any luck with job applications? I'm not having any atm :nah:

Thank you, that is much appreciated. Though I know I have several people praying for me and it doesn't seem to be helping all that much. Well I've not been out of work since late August (on second job now - though this one's only 24hrs a week). Still not found what I'm supposed to be doing with this year though :sigh:
Going to start volunteering at the local museum, probably from January though. And discovered that one of the guys who works there spent a year at a Catholic youth retreat centre :awesome:
Thank you!
I had my first RCIA session last night, Ive jumped in four weeks late but everyone seems to think that's no problem , the Fr seems assured ive done my research.

It was a really wonderful group of people, a lot more thoughtful and exploitative than I thought it would be.
To be honest I was expecting "This is the Catholic stance...these are the verses we use to support it..here is a prayer!" but was warmly surprised to find that not the case!

:awesome:

Original post by Aula
No, it seems sensible to me. If you're meant to do something of the sort, then an opportunity will arise when you are ready for it.

Thank you, that is much appreciated. Though I know I have several people praying for me and it doesn't seem to be helping all that much. Well I've not been out of work since late August (on second job now - though this one's only 24hrs a week). Still not found what I'm supposed to be doing with this year though :sigh:
Going to start volunteering at the local museum, probably from January though. And discovered that one of the guys who works there spent a year at a Catholic youth retreat centre :awesome:

Thanks hun. I know it can drag you down, but try to keep positive. Volunteering is a good way to occupy your time. That's what I've been doing :yes:
Thank you!

I'm glad to hear it went well. I may have mentioned before that someone I know was received into the Catholic Church a couple of years ago and I hope it is for you as rewarding as it has been for him.
Thank you!

Good for you! I can message you a few websites if you want that really helped me along when I was converting :smile:
Urgh, arguing with Catholics on CAF is very tiresome :sigh:
Urgh, arguing with Catholics on CAF is very tiresome :sigh:

CAF?

Is that the Catholic Answer Forums?
If it is I made an account there the other day!
Original post by adamrules247
Good for you! I can message you a few websites if you want that really helped me along when I was converting :smile:

By all means!
CAF?

Is that the Catholic Answer Forums?
If it is I made an account there the other day!

It is indeed :yes:
It is indeed :yes:

I be browsing as we speak...what's your username(if you don't mind that is)?
I be browsing as we speak...what's your username(if you don't mind that is)?

Hahaha, Justicia et Pax :h:

To be fair, I don't think it was actually an argument. I just interpreted it as one :colondollar:
I am now receiving the tweets from the Pope. Thoughtful though his office seem to be struggling with editing down to 140 characters.
Original post by barnetlad
I am now receiving the tweets from the Pope. Thoughtful though his office seem to be struggling with editing down to 140 characters.

Haha, indeed! I'm sure they'll get the hang of it eventually :biggrin:
Reply 4637
i play assassins creed, can i still be a member?? :smile:
Reply 4638
Original post by RYRK

So do I!

As long as you're Catholic, sure :h:
Original post by RYRK

As long as you took absolutely no pleasure in any Mission which involved the killing of a Priest , Bishop or member of the faithful, and took part in the killing of infidel Muslim missions with extra gusto.

......WAR!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending