Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Some really great unis in that list - congrats
    Thankyou, it looks quite unlikely that I will meet any of my offers, though.

(Original post by kath_igidbashian)
    I know I'm only a new member so I hope I'm not being too cheeky or anything but I'd really appreciate it if you could pray for my dad as he's in hospital and he might be having an op soon. Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    *praying*

This morning I had a bit of a dash to get to mass because I was meant to be going elsewhere afterwards and I had to get stuff together and I wasn't feeling too well. I eventually got there about 15 minutes late and someone that knows me vaguely thought I looked a bit pale and gave me a chair but I managed to express that I had only just arrived and she then said that she could turn the speaker on so I could hear father, I said its okay and just sat down. I was looking for my mum but I couldn't see her and the more I thought about it the more I didn't want to barge in midway through the homily. In the end the speaker was turned on so I heard a bit of the homily, but thirty seconds later someone else came to turn it off (it wasn't that loud!). Anyway I missed the end and only got inside the actual church for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

At the end of mass Father did his usual thing of reading the important stuff on the newsletter. Then he started to say something along the lines of how he was about to announce something sad that that we had probably already heard through the media: The parish priest who said mass here nearly every Sunday for years but left on the Bishop's orders (they were shuffling everyone around in the diocese) eight years ago has been charged with assaulting a teenager (thankfully it could be worse as he didn't rape her) and he's been secretly married for 13 years:eek:. It seems strange that over all that time nobody knew, and I was completely unaware that he was living like this. I had my first confession with him and he wasn't annoyed with me or anything when I didn't actually know how a Hail Mary went. I remember him at the rehearsal for First Holy Communion and he was laughing because he had said that if you didn't like the wine then you could just have His body and one of the younger boys said how they really liked the wine. I don't remember him mentioning celibacy (although I was pretty young) or saying anything really like liberal.

Basically, I guess I should ask you to pray for him (Father Bill Finnegan) and the girl and do you think I should go to confession over being so late for mass?
    I'm over the initial shock but this news is closer to home (but it has made the Huffington Post :eek:) than other sad recent events like the Pope resigning and whatnot.

What a weird morning, I suppose this goes down as the worst mass I've ever been to!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I know I'm only a new member so I hope I'm not being too cheeky or anything but I'd really appreciate it if you could pray for my dad as he's in hospital and he might be having an op soon. Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry, I've literally only just seen this - hope and pray that your dad is OK. It's not cheeky at all to ask: we welcome you with open arms! :hugs:

(Original post by rac1)
    Thankyou, it looks quite unlikely that I will meet any of my offers, though.

*praying*

This morning I had a bit of a dash to get to mass because I was meant to be going elsewhere afterwards and I had to get stuff together and I wasn't feeling too well. I eventually got there about 15 minutes late and someone that knows me vaguely thought I looked a bit pale and gave me a chair but I managed to express that I had only just arrived and she then said that she could turn the speaker on so I could hear father, I said its okay and just sat down. I was looking for my mum but I couldn't see her and the more I thought about it the more I didn't want to barge in midway through the homily. In the end the speaker was turned on so I heard a bit of the homily, but thirty seconds later someone else came to turn it off (it wasn't that loud!). Anyway I missed the end and only got inside the actual church for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

At the end of mass Father did his usual thing of reading the important stuff on the newsletter. Then he started to say something along the lines of how he was about to announce something sad that that we had probably already heard through the media: The parish priest who said mass here nearly every Sunday for years but left on the Bishop's orders (they were shuffling everyone around in the diocese) eight years ago has been charged with assaulting a teenager (thankfully it could be worse as he didn't rape her) and he's been secretly married for 13 years:eek:. It seems strange that over all that time nobody knew, and I was completely unaware that he was living like this. I had my first confession with him and he wasn't annoyed with me or anything when I didn't actually know how a Hail Mary went. I remember him at the rehearsal for First Holy Communion and he was laughing because he had said that if you didn't like the wine then you could just have His body and one of the younger boys said how they really liked the wine. I don't remember him mentioning celibacy (although I was pretty young) or saying anything really like liberal.

Basically, I guess I should ask you to pray for him (Father Bill Finnegan) and the girl and do you think I should go to confession over being so late for mass?
    I'm over the initial shock but this news is closer to home (but it has made the Huffington Post :eek:) than other sad recent events like the Pope resigning and whatnot.

What a weird morning, I suppose this goes down as the worst mass I've ever been to!
    Seriously, this is me right now: :lolwut: :confused: :eek4: so I can't even BEGIN to imagine how you must have felt upon hearing the news. Praying for all those involved: Fr Bill, the girl he assaulted, the current not-so-secret wife and the congregation of your parish :console: :sad: :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I've literally only just seen this - hope and pray that your dad is OK. It's not cheeky at all to ask: we welcome you with open arms! :hugs:

Seriously, this is me right now: :lolwut: :confused: :eek4: so I can't even BEGIN to imagine how you must have felt upon hearing the news. Praying for all those involved: Fr Bill, the girl he assaulted, the current not-so-secret wife and the congregation of your parish :console: :sad: :jumphug:
    Thankyou
    I'm not freaking out too much I'm glad I'm not at his current parish- i think i read that they hadn't been told why he suddenly disappeared.
    I'd forgotten about him over the last couple of years, but I remember being sad when he left. Quite surreal but annoying because I used to be able to say I'd met quite a few priests and they were all nice people.

Got an exam tomorrow, but at least its only ten percent and then an interview at Manchester on Wednesday :erm:

ReputationRep:

Thanks so much, really means a lot to have that extra support!! This week has been surreal for me, all I really remember is the ambulance, hospital, my prayer request in the chapel followed by my dad breaking down when he saw it, and my constant praying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, really means a lot to have that extra support!! This week has been surreal for me, all I really remember is the ambulance, hospital, my prayer request in the chapel followed by my dad breaking down when he saw it, and my constant praying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope everything goes okay

Here's a saint to help http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Arthelais

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rac1)
    Hope everything goes okay

Here's a saint to help http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Arthelais
    Thank you so much, praying I'll have enough strength to get through today's visit

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by rac1)
    Thankyou
    I'm not freaking out too much I'm glad I'm not at his current parish- i think i read that they hadn't been told why he suddenly disappeared.
    I'd forgotten about him over the last couple of years, but I remember being sad when he left. Quite surreal but annoying because I used to be able to say I'd met quite a few priests and they were all nice people.

Got an exam tomorrow, but at least its only ten percent and then an interview at Manchester on Wednesday :erm:
    Yeah, it must be quite surreal :console: Hope the exam went well. I prayed for you, and for your interview on Wednesday. Exciting times!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It sounds like a week from hell. Rest assured we'll all keep praying as long as you need us to. Do keep us updated though so that I remember. I have the memory of a goldfish

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it must be quite surreal :console: Hope the exam went well. I prayed for you, and for your interview on Wednesday. Exciting times!

It sounds like a week from hell. Rest assured we'll all keep praying as long as you need us to. Do keep us updated though so that I remember. I have the memory of a goldfish
    Thanks everyone, hopefully i'll hear more news on todays visit and i'll keep you all posted.

ReputationRep:

Thankyou!
    The exam was okay but of course it was my pondweed (test was a biology practical) that wouldn't co-operate. Yes it's exciting, but I registered for a visit day to see Glasgow which is pretty far away and then I realised that there isn't really any point in going if I have to turn down their offer anyway! But then I think "what if I'm making a mistake":argh: which is silly really.

Thanks everyone, hopefully i'll hear more news on todays visit and i'll keep you all posted.
    :hugs: All sounds very stressful. I hope you hear some news and your dad's feeling better.

Nice bit of news for everyone
    http://news.discovery.com/animals/gu...cis-130317.htm
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    :gah: :love: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    :gah: :love: :woo:
    I like how she has a little red cross on like an army medic in the field

ReputationRep:
    Hope you dad is is okay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rac1)
    Hope you dad is is okay!
    Thanks, waiting to find out results of scan, said drs thinking about discharging him and treating as an outpatient because it's been a week today and they aren't sure what's wrong, not really sure how I feel about this though but my dad really wants to be back home...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks, waiting to find out results of scan, said drs thinking about discharging him and treating as an outpatient because it's been a week today and they aren't sure what's wrong, not really sure how I feel about this though but my dad really wants to be back home...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :hugs: Sounds really difficult. Thanks for keeping us posted. Continued prayers :console:

ReputationRep:
    Reading about the secretly married priest makes me glad to have a stable parish,even though the priest is away through ill-health.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They'll find out eventually I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Reading about the secretly married priest makes me glad to have a stable parish,even though the priest is away through ill-health.
    I'd forgotten about it actually, I think sentencing is on 1 April. I actually thought that that was what father was going to say on Sunday, because he does seem quite ill sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.radiovaticana.va/m_articolo.asp?c=674758
    especially
    "Today too, amid so much darkness, we need to see the light of hope and to be men and women who bring hope to others. To protect creation, to protect every man and every woman, to look upon them with tenderness and love, is to open up a horizon of hope; it is to let a shaft of light break through the heavy clouds; it is to bring the warmth of hope!"

:love:
    So much love for Papa Francesco right now.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I was hoping to go to a Reconciliation Service held at my confessor's church tonight but very very ill - definitely too ill to risk going into a church, atm :cry2: I keep trying to tell myself that the worst cannot happen because I've been anointed but I am lacking faith at the moment. Please all remember me in your prayers

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping to go to a Reconciliation Service held at my confessor's church tonight but very very ill - definitely too ill to risk going into a church, atm :cry2: I keep trying to tell myself that the worst cannot happen because I've been anointed but I am lacking faith at the moment. Please all remember me in your prayers
    We will :grouphugs:. Ahh, one of those days...don't worry, theyre usually followed by revivals of faith!

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.