Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Catholic Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oh great stuff!

I'll be at Downing for English. I'm on my gap year at the moment.
    Where are you at?

Sorry for being ignorant, but what's BA Dinners?

ReputationRep:
    hello!

i went to cambridge alot last week to have internship interviews! the st albans catholic church looks so beautiful and old. i love cambs its so quaint and old fashioned and everyone rides bicycles

ReputationRep:
    BA Dinner = Graduate Formal Hall.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ST Camcams is lubbely

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am a baptised, communicated and confirmed Catholic.

However, like some of the people, my belief in God is not great, in fact I am unsure if I ever really believed.

Despite this, I often find myself pondering questions that I cannot seem to answer without the prescence of some form of higher being.

Having gone to church every week for 15 years with my family (most of the time unwillingly) I feel I know and understand a lot about the Catholic Church, and I wondered whether you would all mind me coming on this thread to discuss various issues?

One thing that I have been thinking about recently is why I turned out to be an atheist/agnostic whilst many other can keep faith throughout their entire lives. My theory is that because as a young child, or in fact for my entire life, I have found church services incredibly boring, and this served as a kind of negative reinforcement in my young mind.

Does anyone else have experiences of this kind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Yes, ST Camcams is lubbely
    I really like Cambridge too. Parker's is a great place to chill and play football, and the town itself is very nice. Not that I go to the university; I live in Bury St Edmunds, so about 1/2 an hour away, have you ever visited here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreatstupendo)
    Hello,

I am a baptised, communicated and confirmed Catholic.

However, like some of the people, my belief in God is not great, in fact I am unsure if I ever really believed.

Despite this, I often find myself pondering questions that I cannot seem to answer without the prescence of some form of higher being.

Having gone to church every week for 15 years with my family (most of the time unwillingly) I feel I know and understand a lot about the Catholic Church, and I wondered whether you would all mind me coming on this thread to discuss various issues?

One thing that I have been thinking about recently is why I turned out to be an atheist/agnostic whilst many other can keep faith throughout their entire lives. My theory is that because as a young child, or in fact for my entire life, I have found church services incredibly boring, and this served as a kind of negative reinforcement in my young mind.

Does anyone else have experiences of this kind?

Yes, they do...MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    but you already knew that
    I agree with the boring side to church services...they were always rather dull. However one of the reasons I like being catholic is due to other european churches being so cool and Id much prefer to go to a service there than in England.
    Another reason Im leaning towards the whole atheist approach is because in my philosophy lesson we studied the problem of evil theory which formulated new questions in my head. That and because a lot of praying I do has been wasted..ie things that I have prayed for have not happened (will not go into this now!!)

But anyway..can I please join this society? It may make me all de-uncatholised again

xxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I often feel like that - that and Adhsur is corrupting me
    And yes, I agree on the praying thing pavalova.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuclear_pavlova)

Another reason Im leaning towards the whole atheist approach is because in my philosophy lesson we studied the problem of evil theory which formulated new questions in my head. That and because a lot of praying I do has been wasted..ie things that I have prayed for have not happened (will not go into this now!!)
    Agreed with the European services, they seem to be more full of life, the irish aside but they are shorter so its all good. Mass isnt all when it comes to faith and religion, Jesus had no notion of Church or church services only that we remember him and eat and gather in God's name.

Surely in studying the problem of evil you have studied the stories of Elie Wiesel who offers a good anecdote to explain why evil occurs. The Free Will defence, how about Hicks arguments. All together these seem to me to be more powerful that the problem posited originally.

But welcome, great to have another member. I do not wish to contradict your views but open alternatives for you to explore and continue questioning yourslef like you said before.

ReputationRep:
    Minimo: I'm so glad there's a thriving Catholic community in Cambridge. To be honest, I'm beginning to be pretty terrified of being there on my own.

Helloo everybody *waves. Just noticed this society

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, a Trinitarian!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Excellent, a Trinitarian!
    I just found out I'll DEFINITELY be going to cambridge. Am over the moon

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Well, then I'll make it my responsibility to take you to all the Freshers' stuff at the chaplaincy.

(Original post by life_rockz)
    I just found out I'll DEFINITELY be going to cambridge. Am over the moon
    How come you know now and not till after Results Day in August!

That's brilliant news - Trinity is such a lovely College and one of the best!

*ducks down whilst other non-Trinitarians throw rocks.

It is a pity that so many of our Catholic Churchs don't seem to be catering for the spiritual needs of the youth.

There is a longing for spiritual meaning amongst us, as witnessed by those who don't believe in God seeking that spirituality via 'new age' practices.

Within every Deanery, there should be at least one Parish that has a special empathy for the young - catering for them specifically by way of meaningful Liturgy, homilies, music etc.

I visited an old Parish of mine this weekend. It is a 'mecca' for worship for people locally and for those who choose to visit it from other areas of London.

The reason - the dynamic community that is built upon service to others, personal inner faith, meaningful homilies that really do adhere to Christ's teachings and finally (and mostly, I believe) the wonderful music. They use a hymnal called "Laudate" which contains the most inspiring hymns - many of them written by Bernadette Farrell. The whole congregation are led by the Choir conductor, each one contributing a voice in praise of the Lord. The accompaniment comprises piano, electric guitar, flute, violin, maracas, drums and tambourine.

For a truly meaningful celebration of The Eucharist visit St.William of York Parish Church in Forest Hill, SE London any Sunday at either 9.30 or 11.30.

For those of you who feel you might be losing your faith - go there and you'll find it again.

Prayer is a strange thing!

You pray for something specific and it doesn't happen like you expect it to. If you look closer, it will have been answered in a manner that you had not thought possible.

I'll give you an example of something that was told to me by a friend of a friend about the friends mother.

This woman had prayed for many years that her husband, who was an alcoholic would stop drinking since it was destroying their marriage.

He still drinks, but she has come to the realisation that their marriage has become stronger because she is resigned to not being able to stop him drinking and he has become more relaxed because she is not hounding him or judging him anymore.

They have both mellowed, and with that 'mellowness' has come peace and a resurgence of their love for each other.

God has helped both of them and answered her prayer because her marriage is no longer painful to either her or her husband.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    The reason - the dynamic community that is built upon service to others, personal inner faith, meaningful homilies that really do adhere to Christ's teachings and finally (and mostly, I believe) the wonderful music. They use a hymnal called "Laudate" which contains the most inspiring hymns - many of them written by Bernadette Farrell. The whole congregation are led by the Choir conductor, each one contributing a voice in praise of the Lord. The accompaniment comprises piano, electric guitar, flute, violin, maracas, drums and tambourine.

Weve got the same thing, I myslef organise the music for the Saturday evening masses when we use the instuments described above, all we get is old people glaring at us for using electric guitars and being "loud." Hmpf and Laudate is not perfect either, many guitar chords are wrong, and they are politically correct :eek: ! "people" is used isntead of men despite their being a difference in syllabals.

ReputationRep:
    minimo: Thanks!

yawn: I'm from Singapore...I already have my results, heh. The only thing that was a problem was finance...and that has just been alleviated :p:

About the dynamic community thing, you're right it makes a HUGE difference. But it has gotten a lot better these couple of years...although it's much easier to improve music and all, but not as easy to help develop personal faith. I don't know about you guys, but lots of Catholic kids in S'pore don't know enough about their faith...so they're pretty much at the mercy of people who want to change their minds.

(Original post by life_rockz)
    I don't know about you guys, but lots of Catholic kids in S'pore don't know enough about their faith...so they're pretty much at the mercy of people who want to change their minds.
    It's the same here, life_rockz - kids aren't taught explicitly about Catholicism but rather a 'wishy-washy' type of Christianity starting in Primary school with a scheme called "Here I am" following on in Secondary with an equally 'wish-washy' syllabus.

At GCSE, the RE syllabus covers Marks Gospel from a non-Catholic bible text! In addition, ethics etc. Nothing about the Cathechism, nor apologetics.

Very few Catholic teens know about the basics of the differences between worship in a Catholic Church and other Christian Churchs, Liturgical Year, historical significance of the order of Mass etc.

Some even think they never hear readings from the Old Testament!!

I have heard uni students say time and again "How can I defend my faith when my knowledge of it is so lacking?"

(Original post by fr browne)
    Weve got the same thing, I myslef organise the music for the Saturday evening masses when we use the instuments described above, all we get is old people glaring at us for using electric guitars and being "loud." Hmpf and Laudate is not perfect either, many guitar chords are wrong, and they are politically correct :eek: ! "people" is used isntead of men despite their being a difference in syllabals.
    If the older people don't like the music at Saturday evening Mass, do they have an alternative on Sunday morning?

If the music is a little too loud, turn it down a tad. There is no point in people getting angry in God's house. The older folks at my old parish love the music and sway and clap along with everyone else.

Regarding Laudate: It is such a welcome change from the usual old Blue Hymnal Book that is full of 'golden oldies'. You might think it has shortcomings, I loved it.

ReputationRep:
    yawn: yup. that's why we're starting a catholic teen apologetics thing at my parish. if it gets approval. i hate red tape, heh.

we've got different choirs for different masses, there are 2 on saturday evenings and 4 altogether on sundays. so people go for the ones which they are comfortable with, although most don't mind any. afterall, it's the act of worship in mass that's the focal point.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.