The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5100
Original post by Aula
I don't actually know a huge amount about Fatima. I should probably try and learn more at some point.

Right, I'm running a session of the confirmation course this evening. Prayers would be muchly appreciated :erm:

:eek: Fatima is probably the most important apparition of Our Lady in the history of the Church! As Pope Benedict said a few years ago, the prophetic message is not over. It's a huge part of my life. Everyday Rosary, five first Saturdays, the scapular, prayers for the conversion of Russia.

For more info: http://www.fisheaters.com/apparitions.html#fatima
http://www.fatima.org/essentials/requests/
http://www.fatima.org/essentials/message/

God bless and good luck on the confirmation course.
Original post by Aula
I don't actually know a huge amount about Fatima. I should probably try and learn more at some point.

Right, I'm running a session of the confirmation course this evening. Prayers would be muchly appreciated :erm:

Good luck for the confirmation class, much respect for all catechists in my church we're always in need of more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope it went OK, Aula.

Have had songs from The Book of Mormon going round in my head the last few days. Trying to make an appointment with Fr S for confession :colondollar:
Reply 5103
Original post by SPB
Terrible book, my goodness me. Not only for it's insipid and demonic hate for Our Lord; but it's just a terribly attempt at discussing the philosophy behind religion. Even his co-atheists are ashamed by that book. If you want something to give back to your brother I suggest 'God is no delusion' by Fr Thomas Crean OP as a start and then 'The Last Superstition' by Ed Feser which is a real piece of work - it's polemical and academic but entertaining and really well done. Ed Feser also has a blog which is excellent for all things regarding the philosophy of religion from a Catholic perspective.

I know, I know!:smile:

Well not all of them e.g. Sam Harris :frown:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Yep, tiz in France. How come you're not sure if you'd like it? :smile:

You should definitely go to Lourdes - it's a really remarkable place :moon:

My uncle's decided he wants to go to Israel, so we may be going next year. Am saving up for it :yep: Hopefully it would be OK if I went with my mum and my uncle :yes:

I don't know there are so many places to go, maybe I should try to prioritize (which I never do well!)

I hoped it was, but heard it was full of souvenir stalls and other stuff that comes with mass tourism.

That sounds so cool:smile::ahee:

Original post by Cornelius
Can anyone explain what the problem was with the Tridentine Mass? why was the Novus Ordo (the mass of Paul VI) created?

I think the main reason that most people don't like it now is because the priest doesn't face the congregation and it was in Latin which most people don't understand (or at least not properly).

Original post by SPB
Nothing. At least, nothing worthy of the complete reforms of the liturgy as happened in 1970. The 'problems' of it were:

a) It expressed Catholic theology in it's entirety without obfuscation and apology
b) It was ancient, going back in its essence to St Gregory the Great
c) It had a complete and beautifully Catholic Eucharistic theology
d) It was uncompromisingly Catholic in it's wording, rubrics and symbolism

All these were problems for a lot of the liberal, Freemasonic-inspired, hippy Marxist Bishops of the 60's who were caught up in a mania of ecumenism, univeralism and modernism. For a complete history I can give you some books to read which are enlightening for any Catholic at just how unbelievable the changes were not only in their very form but also the reasons behind them (all thoroughly anti-Catholc). Cardinal Ratzinger befrore he became Pope wrote about it a lot too. Michael Davies was inspired in his writings and research. Many priests today are getting wise to the complete destruction of the Roman Rite made by the liberals in the 60's. If you want a simple kind of history and comparison this (lengthy) article does a very good job. As mentioned, this is a huge topic and full of controversy right now. I am not SSPX; but I am one of those formerly-sidelined and hated Catholics who thinks the Traditional Mass is far superior to the new Mass. Not that I think the New Mass is invalid or cannot create good and holy Catholics.

If you'd like more articles I can whip up tons! Here is a website with a lot of excellent resources on this issue (specifically under the headline: liturgy).

The thing is that the Mass was not perfect. We can never have a perfect missal in this life. But that is why we allow organic, traditional development that takes years. We don't just form a 'liturgical committee' composed of self-confessed liberals and create a new Mass (which is what happened). The Tridentine Mass (a bit of a misnomer since it has been properly and organically revised many times since the 16th century) does in fact stand in need of a few good changes if done correctly and with due order and process. The readings can be improved; and I am not averse to them being in the vernacular. Some other things can be restored (Holy Week for example) and other things changed which are not exactly traditional to the Roman Rite. There is a continuing series of scholarly papers on this very topic right now available here.

To please Protestants is probably the greatest reason; but others include a misguided 60's-inspired attempt at being 'relevant' (an error in itself, as the liturgy is always relevant precisely because of it's heavenly and supernatural character: it is relevant by being culturally irrelevant) and some of the fall-out from the liturgical movement that started in Continental Europe in the early 20th century. A lot of it had to do with post-WWII ideologies and ideas. A lot of it was misguided with good intentions but poor delivery. And some of it was diabolical in it's attempted denial and betrayal of Catholic liturgical theology and thought.

Again, the Novus Ordo when done correctly is not invalid or 'evil' as the SSPX would say. It is simply a deficient Rite when compared to the old Mass. If it is done properly - ad orientem, in Latin, correct rubrics and with reverence and traditional piety it can be okay though still not as good as the old Mass. However, there are probably only a handful of places in the world where this is done. The rest of the time it is psuedo-Protestant ad-libbed clappy-handhold patronizing stuff. It is a banal, on the spot product of it's time (to paraphrase Cardinal Ratzinger) and it has been the vehicle for liturgical abuse and sacrilege not seen since the Deformation in the 16th century. Communion in the hand, guitar mass, clapping, irreverence everywhere, lay people all in the sanctuary, themed masses, all this kind of rubbish is essentially anti-Catholic. And only in the last 10 years is this being recognized. Unfortunately this is a very polarizing issue because people take it very personally when they are suddenly asked to believe that Communion in the hand is irreverent or that the Mass is not about having fun and happy feelings but about serious worship and supernatural joy. Understandably it becomes painful and people see it is offensive to cite traditional Catholic liturgical practise and piety. But they're only experiencing what the faithful experienced 40 years ago when the old Mass was ripped away from them and within a month they were throwing away their Catholic worship in favour of Catholicism-lite where the guitars are suddenly great and the Eucharist is treated like a cookie. Which is why so many people became disillusioned. Terribly sad.

Anyway, a big topic, this. Really big.

Well that's all I wanted to know. :smile:

I just don't like organs though! What did the early church use?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5104
Thankees guys :h:

I think it went okay...

Just need to prepare the next (and last) one now... :afraid:
Original post by Aula

It's also thirty-two years today since the assassination attempt on JP2.

Hope the session went well
Reply 5106
Original post by Cornelius
Leeds.

There's a pretty good Catholic society at my university (where they teach their members how to chant in Latin :awesome:) but I didn't join cos I was afraid I would be lynched by the Catholics there if they were to find out I was a heathen :biggrin:. Seriously though I think that they'd probably know where to go so I'm just gonna send them an email.

And I go directly to The Source for the Catechism but thanks.

Then if I have to go through clearing (looks likely!!:K:) I will look for places at Leeds:w00t:

Original post by jargonglossary
I can relate to you there! I'm okay thank you. Feeling a lot better, more confident in myself since finding religion again - cheesy, but true :')

Hi:smile:

:ahee:

There was me thinking I was Queen of the Smileys :getmecoat:

As Queen of Smileys, I think you should be tasked with the campaign to get a prayer smiley :p:D

:getmecoat:

On a different note: today is the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima :awesome: I still struggle with the messages of Fatima and seem to have more of a natural affinity with the apparitions at Lourdes, but this is a day to be celebrated, no doubt :rave:

I didn't know:smile:
It bothers me that I thought I read somewhere that in one the Marian apparitions Mary said that a poorly said rosary was worth less than a good one. But it's quite hard!:colondollar:
Reply 5107
First 'proper proper exam' (for this season) tomorrow :afraid::argh::ashamed2::doh::erm::gasp::goodnight::lolwut::no::nooo::nopity::poke::sadnod::sad::sadpanda::sigh::shock::stupido2::stupido3::stupido::unsure::zomg:

Well I don't feel that bad, just disappointed I didn't do more revision:rolleyes:
I went to Lourdes for the first time in 2010 and haven't managed to go back yet. Really hoping to go either this summer or, most likely, next summer or summer 2015 :moon:

Everyone, great news! My sister has passed her Finals! She is now a junior doctor! :eek3: :king1: :ahee:

Out of interest, which pilgrimage did you go with when you went in the Summer?

My brother goes not next week but the week after.
Reply 5109
Original post by Aula

I think it went okay...

You'll be fine :smile:
Original post by rac1
First 'proper proper exam' (for this season) tomorrow :afraid::argh::ashamed2::doh::erm::gasp::goodnight::lolwut::no::nooo::nopity::poke::sadnod::sad::sadpanda::sigh::shock::stupido2::stupido3::stupido::unsure::zomg:

Well I don't feel that bad, just disappointed I didn't do more revision:rolleyes:

Best of luck! :smile: You'll do brilliantly I'm sure
Reply 5111
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Best of luck! :smile: You'll do brilliantly I'm sure

Thankyou:smile:

Need almost full marks

*prays to St Jude*
Original post by rac1
I hoped it was, but heard it was full of souvenir stalls and other stuff that comes with mass tourism.

Ah, that's immediately outside of the Sanctuary. None of that stuff inside the Sanctuary :nah:

Original post by Aula

I think it went okay...

:yay: :awesome: :congrats:

Original post by rac1

Praying for you hun, and all those who have exams! :yep:

(We def need a prayer smiley!)

Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Out of interest, which pilgrimage did you go with when you went in the Summer?

My brother goes not next week but the week after.

Oh we didn't join an official pilgrim group: we just went by ourselves :yes:

Hope your brother has a most blessed trip :yes:
Reply 5113
Ah, that's immediately outside of the Sanctuary. None of that stuff inside the Sanctuary :nah:

:yay: :awesome: :congrats:

Praying for you hun, and all those who have exams! :yep:

(We def need a prayer smiley!)

Oh we didn't join an official pilgrim group: we just went by ourselves :yes:

Hope your brother has a most blessed trip :yes:

Oh good.
It looks niiiiice:smile::smile:

Thankyou. It felt like most of the things I did revise weren't on the paper.:frown: But I put something for every question so...:confused:

I think it would get a lot of use.:yes:
Original post by rac1
Oh good.
It looks niiiiice:smile::smile:

Thankyou. It felt like most of the things I did revise weren't on the paper.:frown: But I put something for every question so...:confused:

I think it would get a lot of use.:yes:

That's great you put something down for each question - that's the main thing! Plus you could get marks for your plans/working out of the answer :yes:
Reply 5115
That's great you put something down for each question - that's the main thing! Plus you could get marks for your plans/working out of the answer :yes:

Thankyou :smile: I just feel stupid because I was confident about doing well but with the coursework and everything I didn't do the revision. In my defence the teachers never really teach any of the material for the exam (this is Graphics I'm on about by the way:colondollar:). Everything is so complicated.
Original post by rac1
Thankyou :smile: I just feel stupid because I was confident about doing well but with the coursework and everything I didn't do the revision. In my defence the teachers never really teach any of the material for the exam (this is Graphics I'm on about by the way:colondollar:). Everything is so complicated.

:hugs: It's really difficult when teachers don't do their job, especially something like Graphics, I'd imagine. Try not to be so hard on yourself :console:
Reply 5117
:hugs: It's really difficult when teachers don't do their job, especially something like Graphics, I'd imagine. Try not to be so hard on yourself :console:

Thankyou I'm okay I'm pretty apathetic at the moment:smile: I just wish I'd gone to a different college and done French, Italian and something else.:awesome::sigh:
Original post by rac1
Thankyou I'm okay I'm pretty apathetic at the moment:smile: I just wish I'd gone to a different college and done French, Italian and something else.:awesome::sigh:

:hugs:

Italian is an awesome language :awesome: French = :afraid:

Totally unbiased opinion. Not like my French A2 grade nearly cost me my Oxford place or anything :ninja:
Reply 5119
:hugs:

Italian is an awesome language :awesome: French = :afraid:

Totally unbiased opinion. Not like my French A2 grade nearly cost me my Oxford place or anything :ninja:

Yeah it is pretty nice, still mainly want to do Russian at uni though I think. :smile: I think the course last changed in 2010 it's not too bad but the AS listening reading writing paper last year was harder than all the past papers we'd done. :rolleyes: My teachers said they were going to get it remarked because we all had weridly low marks on the essay part so I asked her months after and she said that they did but the exam board never got back to them.:iiam: Wish I'd resat it now. :rolleyes:

Just been on the phone to student finance. Apparently Google chrome does not like student finance.:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending