Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sohow come my dad let me play guitar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr browne)
    Sohow come my dad let me play guitar
    Because he is a heathen and should be burnt at the stake.

The same question could be put about Fr.
    How come he lets us do all the things we do? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Liberal Catholicism, youth friendly actually a nice friendly athmosphere in church for a change?

ReputationRep:
    Oh Poo.

ReputationRep:
    Liberal Catholicism, youth friendly actually a nice friendly athmosphere in church for a change?
    Like the Conference of England and Wales theme of "Welcome, Family Friendly Parishes"?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    Exactly
    I knew there was a reason I had to go to that conference. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what IS liberal catholicism? Pardon my ignorance, but i ain't English loves, so I havnt a clue what the Conference is :p:

minimo: erm. you could try convincing me once I'm there and you'll probably succeed. Sigh. I have issues with saying no to music stuff. bwahaha.

My question is:

Do 'Fr.Browne' and 'deej2' attend the same school or Parish church?

(Original post by life_rockz)
    Exactly what IS liberal catholicism? Pardon my ignorance, but i ain't English loves, so I havnt a clue what the Conference is :p:
    Is it this perhaps?

http://members.tripod.com/~LiberalCatholic/whatis.htm

or this;

http://mb-soft.com/believe/text/libcatho.htm

Whichever it is, it is frowned upon by the Vatican, since it appears it leads to the road of 'apostasy'.

I would be inclined to caution - just as I was when invited to a study of 'Enneagrams' presented by a Religious Community of the Catholic Church. Enneagrams use famililar words such as 'angels', 'spirit' etc. but have their base in Sufism - a mystical branch of Islam.

Oohh - this debate could get quite interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Is it this perhaps?

http://members.tripod.com/~LiberalCatholic/whatis.htm

or this;

http://mb-soft.com/believe/text/libcatho.htm

Whichever it is, it is frowned upon by the Vatican, since it appears it leads to the road of 'apostacy'.

I would be inclined to caution - just as I was when invited to a study of 'Enneagrams' presented by a Religious Community of the Catholic Church. Enneagrams use famililar words such as 'angels', 'spirit' etc. but have their base in Sufism - a mystical branch of Islam.

Oohh - this debate could get quite interesting!
    Oh brother. I suppose they don't quite believe in hell either. Not under the authority of the Pope eh...well there goes the Roman part of that catholicism.

ReputationRep:

minimo: erm. you could try convincing me once I'm there and you'll probably succeed. Sigh. I have issues with saying no to music stuff. bwahaha.
    Excellent There are also formals and alcohol involved. (Should persuade you sufficiently, methinks.)

ReputationRep:
    Haha I think formals sound attractive, but not really keen on alcohol. Mind you, I've probably only drunk alcohol with my parents around, and at that not very much. So I've really no clue

ReputationRep:
    Liberal was the incorrect term to use, charismatic covers it more accurately. Which isn't frowned upon by the Vatican, in fact, the Carismatic movement has been invited to the Vatican by the Pope for Pentecost.

Myself and fr browne do attend the same college, and parish, and are both conservative (note the small c) Roman Catholics. I lean more towards Charismatic than him though.

My question to all those against our form of worship - what do you think of the Evangelical Catholic movements such as the Sion Community or the Ceili Community in Ireland, or the Oases Cells found around the country?

ReputationRep:
    Haha I think formals sound attractive, but not really keen on alcohol. Mind you, I've probably only drunk alcohol with my parents around, and at that not very much. So I've really no clue
    Oh, none of us get drunk.

*cough*

(Original post by deej2)
    Liberal was the incorrect term to use, charismatic covers it more accurately. Which isn't frowned upon by the Vatican, in fact, the Carismatic movement has been invited to the Vatican by the Pope for Pentecost.
    OK - I understand now - there is a big difference between the Catholic Charismatic Renewal and Liberal Catholicism!

You are correct that CCR is acceptable to the Vatican - Pope John Paul II reminded them to "Direct your life towards a special 'intimacy' with the Holy Spirit."

I am posting a link to the CCR England website which publishes frequent newsletters about the movement.

However...there is no countenancing of premarital sex, contraception, divorce, married priests etc. in this movement, so it is not 'liberal'. Rather it goes back to the New Testament way of expressing one's faith through the Holy Spirit.

I certainly do not condemn the expression of worship by music and singing, I welcome it - it certainly has it's place during Mass but cannot detract from the purpose of Mass.

http://www.ccr.org.uk/

(Original post by deej2)
    Myself and fr browne do attend the same college, and parish, and are both conservative (note the small c) Roman Catholics. I lean more towards Charismatic than him though.
    You're at Holy Cross 6th form College in Bury, aren't you? It's got a good reputation for educating young people to a high standard.

(Original post by minimo)
    Oh, none of us get drunk.

*cough*
    Is the rumour true?

"minimo would suck off a sore leg"

only joking:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    OK - I understand now - there is a big difference between the Catholic Charismatic Renewal and Liberal Catholicism!

You are correct that CCR is acceptable to the Vatican - Pope John Paul II reminded them to "Direct your life towards a special 'intimacy' with the Holy Spirit."

I am posting a link to the CCR England website which publishes frequent newsletters about the movement.

However...there is no countenancing of premarital sex, contraception, divorce, married priests etc. in this movement, so it is not 'liberal'. Rather it goes back to the New Testament way of expressing one's faith through the Holy Spirit.

I certainly do not condemn the expression of worship by music and singing, I welcome it - it certainly has it's place during Mass but cannot detract from the purpose of Mass.

http://www.ccr.org.uk/

You're at Holy Cross 6th form College in Bury, aren't you? It's got a good reputation for educating young people to a high standard.

We use music to add to the mass, it's difficult to explain, but it certainly doesnt retract from the mass.
    And yes, we are. Im not sure what else I can say to that, but thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Is the rumour true?

"minimo would suck off a sore leg"

only joking:p:
    :eek: I'm not that bad! Honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    We use music to add to the mass, it's difficult to explain, but it certainly doesnt retract from the mass.
    And yes, we are. Im not sure what else I can say to that, but thanks
    In my experience there is nothing worse in a mass than a few 'happy-clappy' people playing rubbish music and singing hymns they wrote themselves. One of the few enjoyable things about a Catholic mass is the sense of tradition. On the other hand I think a full gospel choir with James Brown himself giving the sermon would be pretty much the perfect service!

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.