The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rac1
We had the Chaplain from Leeds Trinity for mass, seemed nice but he did chant parts of it and we're not really a congregation for singing and our latin isn't very good either. Hope you feel better soon! Is Saint Dymphna the patron saint of mental illness?

I heard that:eek:

Aw, you guys don't sing that much. Singing is half the fun of church, imho :musicus:

Yes, she is :smile: And thanks :hugs:

Original post by kath_igidbashian
Prayers for results day much appreciated! Feel like I might need a miracle at this point to get in to uni I'm so nervous, think I might need St. Jude and St. Rita's help here...

O ye of little faith! Will be saying an extra prayer for your confidence levels :hugs:
Reply 5641
Prayers for results day much appreciated! Feel like I might need a miracle at this point to get in to uni I'm so nervous, think I might need St. Jude and St. Rita's help here...

It will all be okay!
Not sure what I should be doing in the next few days.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Aw, you guys don't sing that much. Singing is half the fun of church, imho :musicus:

It's a shame but we're just not good singers:rolleyes: and everyone's a bit surprised when they come out with latin, oh well...:smile:

I put the Sound of Music soundtrack on while we were having tea :biggrin:
(I forgot to say I was reading in a book that was on "sale" in Waterstones and apparently one theory is that Do-Re-Mi/Solfege comes from this hymn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ut_queant_laxis )
Reply 5642

It will all be okay!
Not sure what I should be doing in the next few days, I've had a look on course search and there are still lots of universities with places to fill.

It's a shame but we're just not good singers:rolleyes: and everyone's a bit surprised when they come out with latin, oh well...:smile:

(I forgot to say earlier that I was reading in a book that was on "sale" in Waterstones and apparently one theory is that Do-Re-Mi/Solfege comes from this hymn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ut_queant_laxis )
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rac1

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the Latin singing. Mostly coz I dunno the words :p:

:ninja:

(I forgot to say earlier that I was reading in a book that was on "sale" in Waterstones and apparently one theory is that Do-Re-Mi/Solfege comes from this hymn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ut_queant_laxis )

Ah indeed! I learnt about all this in a module at Oxford. Only I don't remember most of my time at Oxford, so barely remember what was taught in any of the lectures :colondollar:
Reply 5644

Same:biggrin: Hopefully I'll check out latin mass when I'm at university:awesome:

Ah indeed! I learnt about all this in a module at Oxford. Only I don't remember most of my time at Oxford, so barely remember what was taught in any of the lectures :colondollar:

:biggrin: Well, the most important is graduating at the end of the day:smile:
Original post by rac1
:biggrin: Well, the most important is graduating at the end of the day:smile:

Indeed! And that I managed to do :biggrin: So all ends well :awesome:
Reply 5646
Indeed! And that I managed to do :biggrin: So all ends well :awesome:

Yay! :smile: I think that's why I'm not absolutely terrified of results day, It'll be fine in the end.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rac1
Yay! :smile: I think that's why I'm not absolutely terrified of results day.

:h:

Feeling a bit better btw, so thanks for any prayers that went up :grouphugs:

That reminds me of school. Our school hymn was in Latin and we used to sing it at every big school mass. The only problem was that people only knew the chorus, which was always sung loud and clear, but when it got to the verse, everyone would just mumble :mmm: A small amount of Latin in a hymn is manageable, but when the whole hymn is in Latin it becomes quite insufferable >_<
Original post by The Epicurean
That reminds me of school. Our school hymn was in Latin and we used to sing it at every big school mass. The only problem was that people only knew the chorus, which was always sung loud and clear, but when it got to the verse, everyone would just mumble :mmm: A small amount of Latin in a hymn is manageable, but when the whole hymn is in Latin it becomes quite insufferable >_<

Oh wow. And I thought my school hymn (some highly-pitched setting of the Magnificat) was bad! :console:
I'm quite jealous now, I didn't have a school hymn...

Posted from TSR Mobile

O ye of little faith! Will be saying an extra prayer for your confidence levels :hugs:

Thanks! Now to see whether I'll feel any more confident come Thursday...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5652
I'm quite jealous now, I didn't have a school hymn...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! (Well actually a teacher made one up at primary but I doubt they still sing it).
Thanks! Now to see whether I'll feel any more confident come Thursday...

Posted from TSR Mobile

:goodluck: I think I'm going to start a thread about student bank accounts now...
Original post by rac1
Same! (Well actually a teacher made one up at primary but I doubt they still sing it).

:goodluck: I think I'm going to start a thread about student bank accounts now...

Ooh good idea! Not sure what I'll do about that yet. Better wait and see...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5654
Ooh good idea! Not sure what I'll do about that yet. Better wait and see...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, no need to rush into anything, you'll get there though:smile:
What if God died?
Original post by ladynova
What if God died?

God cannot die. The Holy Spirit is all around us: it is not a physical entity, it cannot experience death any more than air or love. The Son was killed, yet resurrected and ascended - he proved death was beyond God. And the Father is in eternal Heaven. The concept of God dying goes entirely against the Christian faith. In fact, through the sacrifice of our lord and savious Jesus Christ, we can all hope to avoid any real death.
Original post by ladynova
What if God died?

God is not a person, therefore he cannot die.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Who/what shall I pray to for me to get good results :confused:

I don't know if you've received your results yet (I'm not familiar with the English system), but I hope you've done well. If you pray, it must be with faith in order to receive. However, even if you don't believe, you're still welcome to post here! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8
I don't know if you've received your results yet (I'm not familiar with the English system), but I hope you've done well. If you pray, it must be with faith in order to receive. However, even if you don't believe, you're still welcome to post here! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
But I think I better post in "Ask about Christianity" forum. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending