Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mimir)
The Church doesn't keep anyone "on record."

You can't be an atheist Catholic. You're either Catholic or you aren't.

And you excommunicate yourself by committing mortal sin such as no longer going to Mass. Of course by making a good confession, this excommunication is lifted. You do, however, remain Catholic - since the sacrament of Baptism cannot be undone or rescinded.
By on record I mean in the membership figures - the membership figures the Church reports are different to the ones you'd get if you added up all the declarations of faith from censuses, since the Church doesn't strike you from it's membership list unless you are excommunicated (since post 2010 you can't formally defect from the church).

I'm aware you can't actually be an atheist and a catholic - what I'm saying is the people who identify as such would be people who are atheists, but are technically members of the church.
Mimir
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
By on record I mean in the membership figures - the membership figures the Church reports are different to the ones you'd get if you added up all the declarations of faith from censuses, since the Church doesn't strike you from it's membership list unless you are excommunicated (since post 2010 you can't formally defect from the church).

I'm aware you can't actually be an atheist and a catholic - what I'm saying is the people who identify as such would be people who are atheists, but are technically members of the church.
Attendance figures are usually taken from the Cathedral weekly Mass attendance, which is calculated by the number of hosts taken at Communion. The baptismal records etc have nothing to do with it.

How one chooses to identify in the census is up to one's conscience, but the RCC isn't overly fussed about fluctuations between years, so why try hanging on to fictitious figures? We all know that the majority of people confirmed only do it to get their kids into the local Catholic School. I see it every year, and it's heartbreaking, but true.
TheGalwayGirl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rac1)
Hi, Matthew!

I think literally anyone can be baptised, especially in an emergency.

What time are you going to get your results? :dong:
got mine at 9:30 so ridiculously happy i got the grades i need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now to just decide where to go, both my firm and conditional have offers, its just so confusing..
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mimir)
Attendance figures are usually taken from the Cathedral weekly Mass attendance, which is calculated by the number of hosts taken at Communion. The baptismal records etc have nothing to do with it.

How one chooses to identify in the census is up to one's conscience, but the RCC isn't overly fussed about fluctuations between years, so why try hanging on to fictitious figures? We all know that the majority of people confirmed only do it to get their kids into the local Catholic School. I see it every year, and it's heartbreaking, but true.
I'm not talking about attendance figures, I'm talking about the total membership figures that the Vatican keeps track of.
AspiringMedic8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rac1)
Yay!

I'm in clearing:rolleyes:
Does that mean you're looking for a place or have you found one in clearing? I'm not at the uni stage yet!

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Yay, that's great news hun :hugs:

Thanks so much :hugs:
(Original post by Mimir)
Probably me, it's my "go to" response the moment people have an issue with homosexuality. Sounds like everything is in order (if you get the pun there...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks if it was!

I eventually convinced my Dad that fornication was on par with homosexuality, and that it was his disgust at the issue that was clouding his judgement!

I don't get the pun at all, please explain?
rac1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kath_igidbashian)
got mine at 9:30 so ridiculously happy i got the grades i need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now to just decide where to go, both my firm and conditional have offers, its just so confusing..
Everyone said you would!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kath_igidbashian)
Congrats! :woo: :yeah: :dance: :party: :ahee:
rac1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's been a while since I had a day this busy Going to have a look tomorrow to see if anyone will lower their requirements again but I have four offers which is more than I thought I would get when I opened my results!
rac1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Before I forget again, I hope everyone 'had a good time at mass'.

That was my 1000 post:yay:
Aula
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by rac1)
It's been a while since I had a day this busy Going to have a look tomorrow to see if anyone will lower their requirements again but I have four offers which is more than I thought I would get when I opened my results!
That is awesome! What do you want to study? Good luck! I'll be praying that you end up at the right university :yep:
Alpharius
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well done to everyone who got the grades they were after.
blamethenargles
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't get my results until next week, so nervous :c

Posted from TSR Mobile
rac1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
That is awesome! What do you want to study? Good luck! I'll be praying that you end up at the right university :yep:
Thankyou, I'm a little bit sad I probably won't be studying Russian anymore but I have a few offers for French and Spanish, that I've decided against because Italian is cooler , So at the moment I have Bangor and Aberystwyth (Aber does Italian but I've said French and Spanish so I'd need to change that before I accept them, Bangor is much closer to home though)
(Original post by blamethenargles)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that as long as you get 5A*-C and a decent grade in anything you want to do, you don't need to worry.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rac1)
That's a great position to be in, well done! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awww :hugs: Ye of little faith! Remember Julian of Norwich: "All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well" :yes:

(Original post by LordVoldemort1)
Hi, I'm not catholic, or even christian for that matter but I am interested in the religion.

Could anyone tell me, just by logically thinking, I do not mean to bash or anything that why do christians (this is a catholic society..thing, so okay lets say catholics) believe that Jesus was the son of God?

I mean.. can God really have a son? We know that God is the most highest, that he is one etc. But if he really was so unique and pure why would he 'lower' himself to our level, by saying that he has a son. Reproduction is an attribute of gods creation.

Also, technically if Jesus is the son of God, should Jesus not be god too? If Jesus is gods offspring will he inherit gods kingdom. Obviously God is eternal, so I guess he cant, but then wouldn't that mean Jesus is eternal as well?

Also what does the bible say about Jews and Muslims?

Could god saying Jesus is my son (or something, sorry don't have much knowledge of the bible) have been misinterpreted and taken too literally? Could god just have been saying and actually meant that he loved Jesus, was close to him etc, that they had a bond, rather than jesus being the SON of god?
Hi,

This is not a thread for asking Catholics questions. This is a thread for practising Catholics to congregate in. Please repost your question in the 'Ask a Christian' thread :yes:
rac1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's a great position to be in, well done! :hugs:

It's exciting But I hope I don't get asked constantly at university what my grades are.

(Original post by LordVoldemort1)
LOL well don't I feel like an idiot
:console:
Aula
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by rac1)
Thankyou, I'm a little bit sad I probably won't be studying Russian anymore but I have a few offers for French and Spanish, that I've decided against because Italian is cooler , So at the moment I have Bangor and Aberystwyth (Aber does Italian but I've said French and Spanish so I'd need to change that before I accept them, Bangor is much closer to home though)

I think that as long as you get 5A*-C and a decent grade in anything you want to do, you don't need to worry.
Bangor? :awesome:

That's where my sister and brother-in-law studied. The chaplaincy is a bit... not quite sure what's going on with it, but the priest is lovely :yep: The chaplaincy building is beautiful too, and students can live there too :teeth:

I know nothing about Aber other than that it's very pretty, very difficult to get to, and can be rather quiet...

Awww :hugs: Ye of little faith! Remember Julian of Norwich: "All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well" :yes:
Julian of Norwich :love:

Also, I've just realised I still haven't responded to you on faceyb... oops... I'm not intentionally ignoring you, promise! :lovehug:

(Original post by rac1)
It's exciting But I hope I don't get asked constantly at university what my grades are.
I know that feeling... I got ACC, which isn't too bad, but given that I was at Durham, and a large proportion of my (non course) friends had AAA...

You might be asked occasionally during freshers week, as it can be a reasonable conversation starter, but after that it was never really mentioned.

Good luck!
rac1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aula)

That's where my sister and brother-in-law studied. The chaplaincy is a bit... not quite sure what's going on with it, but the priest is lovely :yep: The chaplaincy building is beautiful too, and students can live there too :teeth:

I know nothing about Aber other than that it's very pretty, very difficult to get to, and can be rather quiet...
Thanking you again! I had a look at what I think was the chaplaincy website and they seem to be obsessed with soaps:confused:
Oh right that's cool, I saw on Aber webiste that the aglican chaplaincy does that but haven't seen that about Bangor, would be cool

Yes it would be six hours by train from here I guess there's not much difference in quality between the two.
rac1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aula)

I know that feeling... I got ACC, which isn't too bad, but given that I was at Durham, and a large proportion of my (non course) friends had AAA...

You might be asked occasionally during freshers week, as it can be a reasonable conversation starter, but after that it was never really mentioned.

Good luck!
Yeah, still pretty good grades I doubt I'll regret not re-taking them but without modular system would be much harder. I was really surprised that Durham are clearing, maybe I'll ring them after all.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Julian of Norwich :love:

Also, I've just realised I still haven't responded to you on faceyb... oops... I'm not intentionally ignoring you, promise! :lovehug:
No worries hun :hugs:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Praying for anyone and everyone receiving GCSE results tomorrow :yes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise