TSR Catholic Society Watch

The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ThatMuslimGuy)
At six minutes he has a guy hold up a book which he reads from and holds his hands out. Is that normal? Like a rule?
It is very familiar to me, but I can't say how often it is done and which parts of the Mass it happens.
ThatMuslimGuy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Epicurean)
It is very familiar to me, but I can't say how often it is done and which parts of the Mass it happens.
Thanks.
The Epicurean
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks.
I just searched for some Altar Serving guides that provide a brief explanation. The act is part of the opening prayer, although I think it only really an aesthetic act to add to the worship and only really takes place in bigger Churches where they have a number of Altar Servers at hand. I can always remember the Priest doing it at my Church in my old area, but when I moved to where I presently live, the Church was a lot smaller and don't ever remember the Priest doing it :holmes:

OPENING PRAYER
After the Penitential Rite and Gloria, the priest says, “Let us pray.” By this time the book bearer should have the Sacramentary in hand and takes it to the priest.
The server should stand to hold the book in such a way that the priest can both easily face the people and clearly see the text.
3. If the server is tall he should hold the Sacramentary to the side so that the priest can see the people as well as the book when he looks up.
After the priest reads the Opening Prayer, the book bearer, waits for him to close the Sacramentary. Once it is closed, the server puts the Sacramentary down and sits for the readings.
ThatMuslimGuy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just searched for some Altar Serving guides that provide a brief explanation. The act is part of the opening prayer, although I think it only really an aesthetic act to add to the worship and only really takes place in bigger Churches where they have a number of Altar Servers at hand. I can always remember the Priest doing it at my Church in my old area, but when I moved to where I presently live, the Church was a lot smaller and don't ever remember the Priest doing it :holmes:
Awh thankyou! You didnt have to do that.
ellenabethx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fellow Lourdes pilgrims 2013, do you guys miss those Carrefour nights?
TheGalwayGirl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What do you think of watching mass online?

Cool idea or not?

Not as good as the real thing but great if you can't make it to mass.

At six minutes he has a guy hold up a book which he reads from and holds his hands out. Is that normal? Like a rule?
Totally normal in my church, just depends on if there's any altar servers, that was one of my jobs when I first started out, normally the younger ones do that I've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tiz my confirmation saint's feast day :awesome:

Happy Feast of St Cecilia's day! :woo:
Aula
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)

Happy patron feast day!

'Kay guys, super serious prayer request coming up...
It's our confirmation retreat this weekend. Will be the second time they've all been together as a group. Prayers wanted for the intentions of the young people, and that they will be open to what God wants to tell them this weekend. Also, for the volunteers leading the retreat, and for us cathechists, that we'll be able to get some sleep tomorrow night... (!)

Thanks guys
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Happy patron feast day!

It's our confirmation retreat this weekend. Will be the second time they've all been together as a group. Prayers wanted for the intentions of the young people, and that they will be open to what God wants to tell them this weekend. Also, for the volunteers leading the retreat, and for us cathechists, that we'll be able to get some sleep tomorrow night... (!)

Thanks guys
Oh wow, you take them on a retreat?! I'm glad I've not had to do that! :eek3: Definitely praying for you, your fellow catechists and the volunteers and of course the young people themselves :yep:
TheGalwayGirl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Happy patron feast day!

Thanks guys
Good luck!!! Hope all goes well, might be a good idea to do a little bargaining with St. Jude and St. Rita...
Aula
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Oh wow, you take them on a retreat?! I'm glad I've not had to do that! :eek3: Definitely praying for you, your fellow catechists and the volunteers and of course the young people themselves :yep:
Aye, we head over to SPEC :yep:
(Original post by kath_igidbashian)
Good luck!!! Hope all goes well, might be a good idea to do a little bargaining with St. Jude and St. Rita...
:giggle: I think you may be right...
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Aye, we head over to SPEC :yep:
:yay: Have a fantabulous time! I pray that it is a time of real spiritual growth for the young people in your charge :yes:
The Epicurean
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Wait? People celebrate their confirmation Saint's feast day? >_< Damn! I just missed the Feast of Saint Francis of Assisi last month Although I couldn't exactly ask people to get me present to celebrate the Feast of Saint Francis as it would be rather contradictory to his message and life's work

Happy Saint Cecilia's day
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wait? People celebrate their confirmation Saint's feast day? >_< Damn! I just missed the Feast of Saint Francis of Assisi last month Although I couldn't exactly ask people to get me present to celebrate the Feast of Saint Francis as it would be rather contradictory to his message and life's work

Happy Saint Cecilia's day
Not so much in this country but in France they do :yes:
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I like the idea of Mass online. It's great for people like me, who can't get to Mass easily :yes:
My grandmother when she became too infirm to go to her local Church on Sunday would watch the Sunday service on tv. Now that a Sunday service in the UK on tv has been replaced by a religious discussion programme or repeat of Corrie, mass on the internet would be something valuable for anyone in her position today. Communion is taken to anyone sick or housebound by a Eucharistic Minister.

I was reminded that the Year of Faith is ending today. A year given the resignation of Pope Benedict and the election of Pope Francis that will not be forgotten easily.
The Epicurean
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not so much in this country but in France they do :yes:
I thought in France they celebrated their baptism Saint's feast day? :holmes:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I thought in France they celebrated their baptism Saint's feast day? :holmes:
Ah maybe that's what I was thinking of when I said France
Titus20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4t-X...JhU64JoTBVSWeQ

A very good video for you all to watch. God bless you all.
The Epicurean
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Has anybody here heard of this "Growing in Faith" thing? I had someone from the Church come to my house on behalf of the "Growing in Faith" project. Apparently they want everybody to pay £11 per week or something :holmes:
TheGalwayGirl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Has anybody here heard of this "Growing in Faith" thing? I had someone from the Church come to my house on behalf of the "Growing in Faith" project. Apparently they want everybody to pay £11 per week or something :holmes:
Only vaguely, not actually sure what it's about... :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (33)
16.67%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (84)
42.42%
Nope, not that interesting (81)
40.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise