The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

fr browne
Imagine the possibilities, chocolate bread, chocolate altars, even chocolate chalices. hmmmmm

:eek: blasphemy! :p:

dumdeedumdeedum. Going for a choir practice for a novena leading to our parish feast day tonight yippee. And there's band on friday! Ahh I love how my life revolves around music. Church music, at that. :biggrin:
fr browne
Imagine the possibilities, chocolate bread, chocolate altars, even chocolate chalices. hmmmmm

I wonder if those will be eligible for transubstantiation. :smile:
Reply 602
sixthformer18

Of course they would...
Reply 603
sixthformer18

No - they have to be of a recognised form as postulated at the Last Supper, ie bread and wine.

The wine can be any sort of wine, as far as I am aware, and the bread too. Even gluten free for those allergic to wheat!

I do appreciate that you are being 'tongue in cheek' - it shows how difficult it is to keep a thread alive, when all around us, others seem to be flourishing.

Perhaps we are been tested! :smile:

Our motto - keep it alive for Jesus!
Reply 604
OK - in the spirit of keeping it alive for Jesus;

What do any of you know about Enneagrams?

If you do know about them, what is your opinion?
What are enneagrams?
Reply 606
life_rockz
What are enneagrams?

Wiko has an article on them - it does not raise any contentious issues over them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enneagram

Have a read and then come back for discussion with what you have read on this particular website.

We can then 'expand'. :smile:
I dont know how but I ended up reading stuff, following links and ended up on that dammed Raelian cult.

I still am none the wiser about ennagrams!
Reply 608
Hi! Can I join?
Reply 609
I have a question.

I have noticed alot of Catholic bashing about, maybe not in the D&D, but I have seen some in the sub fora and other areas.

Why is it OK for this to go on, yet if Islam and Judaism are attacked, the users are warned and discussions stopped?
Reply 610
Where'd this happen in subland? :s:

It's probably because we're generally unresposnive or we tend to ignore the bashing, whilst Muslims etc wouldn't do the same - they are more likely to bash back or complain.
Reply 611
minimo
Where'd this happen in subland? :s:

It's probably because we're generally unresposnive or we tend to ignore the bashing, whilst Muslims etc wouldn't do the same - they are more likely to bash back or complain.

The box.

I dunno, I certainly complained, and got more. There was nothing I could do but argue our stance :frown:.
Also we catholics have learnt to laugh at ourselves on occasion. Or maybe that is just the Irish Catholics.
Reply 613
fr browne
Also we catholics have learnt to laugh at ourselves on occasion. Or maybe that is just the Irish Catholics.

Two Irish Catholics walks into a bar....

You would have thought one of them would've seen it :p:
Reply 614
deej2
I have a question.

I have noticed alot of Catholic bashing about, maybe not in the D&D, but I have seen some in the sub fora and other areas.

Why is it OK for this to go on, yet if Islam and Judaism are attacked, the users are warned and discussions stopped?

It is no more acceptable for one faith group to be criticised anymore than any other.

Having said this, I read an article by Bishop Fulton Sheen (US television Catholic) in which he said that if he were not a Catholic and was looking for the true Church in the world today, he would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; the Church which the world hates.

His reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. Bishop Sheen goes on to say if you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church which is accused of being behind the times, as Our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which the world rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because he called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which amid the confusion of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the word, then it is unwordly, and if it is unwordly, it is other-wordly. Since it is other-wordly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself...

the Catholic Church is the only Church existing today which goes back to the time of Christ. History is so very clear on this point, it is curious how many miss its obviousness...

Remember all this when our detractors condemn our Church, and smile to yourself. We have the Truth. :smile:
I think that while much of the above is true, as a Roman Catholic and a Historian - you do have to look at the bare facts here - the church in the 15th/16th Centuries was very corrupt. And in 1517, when Martin Luther started groaning about the church - it was possibly at its most corrupt (i.e. Homosexual Popes, Popes with sons aka. 'nephews' and the fraudualent sale of items, such as pieces of wood from the crucifix of our saviour - rumoured to amount to a forest - this is historical fact). Now these 'new' churches were bourne out of a general dislike and misunderstanding of the RC church - and I personally think this is reflected in modern views, on a wholely different church to that of the 16th century - the dogma has more or less remained the same - but the face/running of the church is totally different and indeed, more purer than previously (i.e. Cardinals are now there by spiritual virtue, not by the amount of money they have).
Reply 616
What you say Ossie, is what many detractors of the Catholic Church say and whilst it was occasionally true of the odd pope (less than 4% in fact, which compares favourably with the 'failure rate' of 8% of the twelve apostles) the supposed evil and corruption of the popes of history is hardly a reason to despair of the institution of the papacy.

Since you say you are an historian of the Catholic Church, I would remind you of the words of Origen;

"Look at that great foundation of the Church, that most solid of rocks upon whom Christ built the Church! And what does the Lord say to him? 'O you of little faith..."

I suppose that what that tells us is that although all the popes were not without sin (as none of us are) they were all infallible when declaring the doctrines of the Church 'ex cathedra' - so the Truth is still something unique to our faith.
the supposed evil and corruption of the popes of history is hardly a reason to despair of the institution of the papacy.

I agree with what you are saying, but there is truth in my original statement. Many of the Reformation churches were formed in revulsion again Rome.

so the Truth is still something unique to our faith.

I agree that our religion is the closest to the 'truth' - I believe the absolute truth is impossible for us, in our current form to comprehend.

I suppose that what that tells us is that although all the popes were not without sin (as none of us are) they were all infallible when declaring the doctrines of the Church 'ex cathedra' - so the Truth is still something unique to our faith.

I believe, the problem is apparent by the fact that no one is quite sure what is 'ex cathedra' and what is not?! The corruption of certain 15/16th century popes sent a clear message at the time of the corruption of the church and the confusion even then caused massive divides - which these churches were borne out of - I noticed that the CofE even has a clause in its 'articles of religion' strictly against 'Papal infalliability'. One only has to look at many high anglicans to see that the attack was not on the doctrine, or the bible, but the infrastructure of the church (in mainland Europe - in England, CofE was, if I may be so bold, created to fulfill the lust of a King).
Although, saying all this - the Reformation did have a positive effect on the Catholic church which is still apparent today - the counter Reformation - Jesuits anyone?
Reply 619
Woooooooo, I just got back from Lourdes :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending