TSR Catholic Society Watch

The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Since Barack Obama met the Pope today, maybe we can pray for greater striving for understanding and acceptance of religious freedom, by politicians :yes:

We continue to pray for expectant mothers, people affected by the Malaysian plane crash, A Level students, peace in the Crimean region, those discerning calls to ministry, those presently in ministry, and all other intentions previously stated
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Since gay marriage comes into legislation tomorrow, may we pray for all the gay community, for their wellbeing and that we may act as evidence of Jesus' love for them, through all our dealing with gay people in our communities

We continue to pray all previous intentions :yes:
Rhinobeetle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Roman Catholic in the strictest sense here...well, in the sense I was born in Rome after all. A 20 minute bus ride from the Vatican
What I love of my tribe is that regardless of the ills of the church, the local priests are still doing an amazing work in jails, amongst the poor and the destitute and are always on the frontline of society.
We have come a long way from the "The Pope is infallible" days, I really like the way this church manages to stay relevant and yet true to it's original message.
Pope Francis is amazing, what a breath of fresh air, what a man, what a messenger.
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Rhinobeetle)
Roman Catholic in the strictest sense here...well, in the sense I was born in Rome after all. A 20 minute bus ride from the Vatican
What I love of my tribe is that regardless of the ills of the church, the local priests are still doing an amazing work in jails, amongst the poor and the destitute and are always on the frontline of society.
We have come a long way from the "The Pope is infallible" days, I really like the way this church manages to stay relevant and yet true to it's original message.
Pope Francis is amazing, what a breath of fresh air, what a man, what a messenger.
Welcome to the thread
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rhinobeetle)
:hi:

Agreed on Pope Francis. I'm a big fan
Rhinobeetle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks I am not one for liturgy or deep religious conversations, my faith is somewhat rather basic: I just know He is Lord. The way my heart feels is what tells me this is quite a simple truth.
I just "know" because Jesus is not a book written two thousand years ago, Jesus is the here and now warmth in my soul and the peace it gives me.
Obviously I love the Catholic Church, I do it because I am from Rome and I am in awe of what faith can build, I see it first hand, I see St Peter basilica and I am amazed, I see the millions of pilgrims and I feel so humble, I see and feel it's love and I think I am lucky and yet responsible.

I am a Roman, we have a loving relationship with the Vatican. We see priests and nuns of all colours and races, we see the beauty and peace in their faces, we feel we have a world treasure within our walls and we are yet the more conscious that our city is "eternal" (Roma cittá eterna) because of the treasure we are given.
The Pope is the Vicar of Rome and so he visits hospitals, jails, poor areas etc etc, he truly is part of the fabric of our society. He is a Roman in every sense.

What I love of my church is that she allows me to love her without demanding my submission, without demanding my own city's submission. I love the small time priests in the frontline against organised crime, I love football supporting nuns going to Sunday matches after Sunday mass, I love the tens of thousands of catholic foreign students walking around my city, marvelling at it's beauty and reminding me how lucky I am, how lucky we all are.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are indeed very lucky and blessed to live in Rome. I've been to Rome once on an orchestra tour but all we saw was the Colosseum. Didn't go anywhere near Vatican City

I must go there properly someday :moon:

Today's prayer intention
In the spirit of tasha96's post in X Soc, we pray that all people, everywhere, no matter their race, colour or creed, can learn to feel and accept Jesus' eternal, unconditional love :love:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Prompted by something happening with a friend of mine: I'd like to ask that today, we all pray for those who are missing from home for whatever reason. May their loved ones find peace soon :sadnod:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We also pray for mothers all over the world!
Aula
Rep:
?
Guys, Cardiff uni is trying to pass a bill banning antiabortion groups etc. - Particularly an issue is the fact that it goes against freedom of speech type stuff.

This sort of thing seems to be happening worryingly often - there's a few other examples, so those of you still students, it's worth keeping an eye out to block it and cause a fuss if it happens at your uni.

I suggest that we pray for the recognition of the sanctity of life tomorrow :cute:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tomorrow's prayer intention
We pray for greeneyedgirl's parish, who have just lost their minister. May his soul rest in peace and in the delights of heaven. We pray especially for his family as they come to terms with their loss
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did I tell you guys about my tote bag for Israel? It arrived today! :excited: It says on it in big black letters:

You don't scare me. I was taught by NUNS.

:ahee:
Aula
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Did I tell you guys about my tote bag for Israel? It arrived today! :excited: It says on it in big black letters:

picpicpic

:cute:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
picpicpic

:cute:
Trying to upload one to Facebook :ninja:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Apologies for the lack of prayer intentions - been slightly AWOL

Apparently today is the feast of our patron saint, St Isidore of Seville :awesome:

Given the news about the inquiry into the former Cardinal O'Brien, I suggest we pray for all those involved in the case and all those who will be investigated and questioned. May the truth prevail.

St Isidore of Seville, pray for us!
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)

I'd love to get one for my mum!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I'd love to get one for my mum!
I got it from a website called Cafe Press :yep:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Today, we pray for Diety and his family, who have to put their dog down today We pray for all those who have lost animals they love :sadnod:

We continue to pray for all previous intentions :yes:
Mimir
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of your charity, please pray for the repose of the soul of Father Keith, who died suddenly on Friday last. He leaves his mother, Anne, in her late 90s, whom he nursed.

Priests and Bishops face the most terrifying judgement of all creation. They always need our prayers.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mimir)
Of your charity, please pray for the repose of the soul of Father Keith, who died suddenly on Friday last. He leaves his mother, Anne, in her late 90s, whom he nursed.

Priests and Bishops face the most terrifying judgement of all creation. They always need our prayers.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to hear of this, will of course pray. Was he your parish priest?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.52%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (221)
41.08%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.41%

Watched Threads