TSR Catholic Society Watch

yawn
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
Very interesting.
The title Blessed Virgin Mary is an honorary one bestowed on her because she is the mother of God.

There is no connection with 'blessed' as one on the steps to canonisation.

Remember, all in Heaven are saints anyway.
Daragh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:eek4:

Whilst surfing the internet I found a picture of a nun.

That nun was playing a pink oboe! :eek3:

See!

:p:
life_rockz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*bump. Did you guys know September's the month of our Mother's birthday? It's just been resurfaced in my memory :p:

Anybody found sites/material which sufficiently explain why Mary's so special. I'm having trouble being (patiently) reasoned with some protestant friends. I don't expect them to be convinced, much. But I wish they would stop looking at me as if I was under mind-control or something. Sigh.
Daragh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by life_rockz)
*bump. Did you guys know September's the month of our Mother's birthday? It's just been resurfaced in my memory :p:

Anybody found sites/material which sufficiently explain why Mary's so special. I'm having trouble being (patiently) reasoned with some protestant friends. I don't expect them to be convinced, much. But I wish they would stop looking at me as if I was under mind-control or something. Sigh.
Will this do?

or this?
Ossie1701
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi guys - I was watching the 'Heaven and Earth Show' today - and it had a whole discussion on the issue of the celibacy of Catholic Priests and the problem that this is causing (the decrease in the number!).

What are you views on this? Do you think the church will have to allow Priests to marry? Or ordain women?

Someone commented that (if I paraphrase): allowing marriage will allow priests to be full human beings, as celibacy is totally unnatural.

How do you guys feel about this?
life_rockz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
deej: thanks!

Ossie1701: No I don't think the Church will change it's stand. In actuality there's been a slow down in the decrease of priests, and a slow increase in the number of young men entering seminaries, at least in Asia, so we may be looking at a turnaround of the situation. I also don't believe celibacy is unnatural. Christ was celibate wasn't he? And he was fully man. I don't really see having sex as the only way to fulfil one's humanity. Many men are celibate without being priests.

Not very coherent right now, sorry.
Bring_it_on
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by life_rockz)

Did anyone go to our ladys shrine in walsingham for the youth 2000 retreat this month. It was absolutely amazing....dont miss it next year ppl!
Farrdango
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
who created this society and why?

how do yu rate people to allow them to join?
Daragh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Shinytoy created the society for Catholics to talk about the faith and so on.

Well, they have to check the societies panel, and we look at the join request, and various other things. Participation in the society and so on.
Farrdango
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by deej)
Shinytoy created the society for Catholics to talk about the faith and so on.

Well, they have to check the societies panel, and we look at the join request, and various other things. Participation in the society and so on.
so this society comunicates with eachother about the changing times and the issues at bay?
Daragh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Farrdango)
so this society comunicates with eachother about the changing times and the issues at bay?
Yep, we also talk about transubstantiation, saint's, Our Lady.

Whatever we feel like, for instance there was a little discussion about Lourdes before.
yawn
Report 12 years ago
In the Religion D&D sub-forum a thread was raised about people's belief in the Virgin birth.

A debate ensued whereby one of our Catholic posters maintained he had not being taught the difference between the Immaculate Conception and the Virgin birth at his Catholic school, and when I challenged him on this he maintained that although I knew the difference, most Catholics didn't!

Apart from the celebration of the Immaculate Conception every year on 8th December when the Liturgy is specifically directed at mentioning Joachim and Anne (Mary's parents) and the fact that Mary was conceived without the stain of Original sin on her soul, do all of you not know the significance of the Immaculate Conception?

I have told our fellow Catholic that I am raising this question here as I hope that I can prove him wrong and that you will know the difference between Our Lady's sinless conception and her virginal status when giving birth to Jesus.
Daragh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow, just been checking the VIS.

An archbishop was excommunicated yesterday.

Article.

People's opinions?
yawn
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by deej)
Wow, just been checking the VIS.

An archbishop was excommunicated yesterday.

Article.

People's opinions?
This man has been flouting Canon law for so long that it is time he was excommunicated.

Not only did he get married himself (when he was a Bishop no less) but now he had consecrated married men into the Bishopric of the Catholic Church.

I am surprised it's taken the Church so long to take this action. If the man can't abide by the rules of the Church he shouldn't be in the Church.

The greatest concern to me is that these mens' ordinations to the priesthood (albeit not the bishopric) are still apostolically valid.
Daragh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
This man has been flouting Canon law for so long that it is time he was excommunicated.

Not only did he get married himself (when he was a Bishop no less) but now he had consecrated married men into the Bishopric of the Catholic Church.

I am surprised it's taken the Church so long to take this action. If the man can't abide by the rules of the Church he shouldn't be in the Church.

The greatest concern to me is that these mens' ordinations to the priesthood (albeit not the bishopric) are still apostolically valid.
Yes, I know, but I presume the Vatican are deciding whether to excommunicate the priests or not.
yawn
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by deej)
Yes, I know, but I presume the Vatican are deciding whether to excommunicate the priests or not.
Oh - I don't know whether they are or not. I'll see if I can find any more information.

Even if they are excommunicated, they have still been ordained as priests and they will retain the God-given powers to administer the Sacraments even though they cannot receive the Sacraments themselves.

That is most probably a very simplistic explanation of effects of excommunication - I'm sure it is undoubtedly far more complex than that!
yawn
Report 12 years ago
Yes - the four priests have also been excommunicated under "latae sententiae"

I am providing some information of various terms of excommunication here:

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/shade...leofexcomm.htm

I'm still not sure whether the administration of any Sacraments would be invalid as a result of their excommunication.

It raises interesting questions.
Daragh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Yes - the four priests have also been excommunicated under "latae sententiae"

I am providing some information of various terms of excommunication here:

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/shade...leofexcomm.htm

I'm still not sure whether the administration of any Sacraments would be invalid as a result of their excommunication.

It raises interesting questions.
I would hope so, I sincerely do.
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hello!

is anyone going to the national Cahtolic Youth Event in Birmingham NIA in a couple weeks? apparantly it will be the largest gathering of Catholics in 1/2 a century!!!

*is excited and immature*

i'm going by myself so if any TSRs are going, would be cool?
also, anyone know what workshops are running?
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
surely there must be at least one person...? on the website it said there were 4000 18-30 year olds expected! is this in the right forum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1460)
79.61%
Leave (374)
20.39%

Watched Threads