The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:console: I need to get myself a copy of YouCAT sometime :yep:

it's good but having trouble accepting some things.

Original post by sadeqrahman
Hey like your GIF lol.

Whilst we're on the topic on religions, what do you guys think of Islam? (Please, let's respect other religions too...)

I'll be honest and say that I don't like Islam due to personal reasons. I respect that everyone have their beliefs but I feel that Islam is being forced on many people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tootles
Yeah. Thanks. I don't even know what possessed me to ask. I asked Fr Peter at the Roman Catholic church I was attending a couple of years ago and he said the same thing as Aula. I could ask anyone else, and they'll probably say the same thing again.

Also, why would I 'Ask a Christian?' I became a Christian in 2004, was baptized then, and chrismated in 2012. I've read books and studied theology, church history, the lot - and found no solid theological answer for this question. I just wanted the opinions of people in this thread, and maybe to make a couple of people think: it's better to say 'Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner' than '...holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.'

I just meant that this is Cath Soc. The whole point of having a Cath Soc in the first place is that this is not a place where we need to justify our beliefs to others. You have 'Ask a Christian' and the rest of the forum for that. That's all I meant :yes:
Original post by donutaud15
it's good but having trouble accepting some things.

I'll be honest and say that I don't like Islam due to personal reasons. I respect that everyone have their beliefs but I feel that Islam is being forced on many people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there, do you mind if we talk about it? About Islam that is. If you don't want to that's cool.
Reply 6703
Hey like your GIF lol.

Whilst we're on the topic on religions, what do you guys think of Islam? (Please, let's respect other religions too...)

You do know the post you quoted was made over 8 years ago? :mmm:

Islam has truth in it, but is not the whole truth and has distorted truths in it.

please note that this is not the right thread for discussing opinions on Islam... this is a thread for Catholics to gather and chat :cute:

Original post by Tootles
Also, why would I 'Ask a Christian?' I became a Christian in 2004, was baptized then, and chrismated in 2012. I've read books and studied theology, church history, the lot - and found no solid theological answer for this question. I just wanted the opinions of people in this thread, and maybe to make a couple of people think: it's better to say 'Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner' than '...holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.'

I honestly don't see a problem with saying both :dontknow:

And as TLG said, AAC would be a better place for this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey there, do you mind if we talk about it? About Islam that is. If you don't want to that's cool.

sure. But probably best if you pm me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aula
You do know the post you quoted was made over 8 years ago? :mmm:

Islam has truth in it, but is not the whole truth and has distorted truths in it.

please note that this is not the right thread for discussing opinions on Islam... this is a thread for Catholics to gather and chat :cute:

I honestly don't see a problem with saying both :dontknow:

And as TLG said, AAC would be a better place for this.

8 years?! Wow! How long has this site been out for?

Anyway, sorry about the unrelated posting, but so many conversations to be had :biggrin: Mind if we talk (PM's) about those "distorted truths" - sounds interesting to me, also what do you mean by "truth", if ya don't want to talk about it, i'm cool as a cucumber!

I really should be revising...
Original post by Aula
The way I look at it. when you pray 'to' the saints, you're just asking them to pray for you. There's very little different between me asking St. Anthony to help me find something I've lost, and asking people on here to pray for me to find whatever it is that I've lost. Main difference being that St. Anthony is closer to God (by being in heaven).

I'll quite happily ask people on here to pray for me - does that take away from Christ being our intercessor and mediator?

I'm not a Catholic and I've struggled to understand why they pray before statues and they have prayers to saints in the papers. If Saint Anthony is dead and in heaven and he hears you surely Jesus Christ could do too and would he feel a bit insulted that you ask Saint Anthony thinking that he could plead for you? I mean during the life of Christ on earth did people go asking other people even if they are that pious to beg or ask for them from Jesus? Surely Jesus could hear all :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoyalBlue7
I'm not a Catholic and I've struggled to understand why they pray before statues and they have prayers to saints in the papers. If Saint Anthony is dead and in heaven and he hears you surely Jesus Christ could do too and would he feel a bit insulted that you ask Saint Anthony thinking that he could plead for you? I mean during the life of Christ on earth did people go asking other people even if they are that pious to beg or ask for them from Jesus? Surely Jesus could hear all :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please people: if you wanna debate about praying to saints, take it to 'Ask a Christian'. This is not the right thread for this :no:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Please people: if you wanna debate about praying to saints, take it to 'Ask a Christian'. This is not the right thread for this :no:

I can't seem to find the thread. Ask a Catholic. I just wanted to know the logic like an above user. I don't have any religious Catholic friends who I could ask it without a debate. People here are friendlier. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoyalBlue7
I can't seem to find the thread. Ask a Catholic. I just wanted to know the logic like an above user. I don't have any religious Catholic friends who I could ask it without a debate. People here are friendlier. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The relevant thread is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2421736
Just read about the Catholic position on evolution and was pleasantly surprised! And Pope Francis said the Church shouldn't just dismiss civil unions! :biggrin: I feel like the church is heading in such a good direction right now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw, guys, I don't know if anyone remembers, but I spoke to you all before about how my mum was away from her faith and how I felt guilty because she wanted to go to church once and I just dismissed her. Well, I gave her a bible about six months ago in hope that she would read it, and yesterday she went into the local Catholic Church of her own accord and prayed and lit candles! She also said she has been praying for the whole family! :smile: Thanks for any prayers that anyone gave me before, God is really good! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Btw, guys, I don't know if anyone remembers, but I spoke to you all before about how my mum was away from her faith and how I felt guilty because she wanted to go to church once and I just dismissed her. Well, I gave her a bible about six months ago in hope that she would read it, and yesterday she went into the local Catholic Church of her own accord and prayed and lit candles! She also said she has been praying for the whole family! :smile: Thanks for any prayers that anyone gave me before, God is really good! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wooh praise the Lord! Will be praying for her to be guided by the HS 😄

PS: How do I join? It doesn't show a join button in the link provided in the description. Or I could just be a bit blind/stupid not to see it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosenatorr
Wooh praise the Lord! Will be praying for her to be guided by the HS 😄

PS: How do I join? It doesn't show a join button in the link provided in the description. Or I could just be a bit blind/stupid not to see it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I know, by posting here regularly you're a member. :smile:

(Also thank you so much!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great news! :jebus:

How are things generally with you? :smile:
Hi everyone! I'll be studying in the UK the next three to four years (coming from Portugal) and I wanted to know if you have any idea of how hard it may be for me to do my Confirmation there (do I just have to ask and take a course, or do I need to get some papers from here, those sorts of things)?
Reply 6716
Original post by viriol
Hi everyone! I'll be studying in the UK the next three to four years (coming from Portugal) and I wanted to know if you have any idea of how hard it may be for me to do my Confirmation there (do I just have to ask and take a course, or do I need to get some papers from here, those sorts of things)?

You may need papers - baptismal/first holy communion certificates, but other than that, should be fine. Will be a case of talking to your priest and going through RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults). :cute:
Many children across the world make their first Holy Communion this month- fifty in my parish alone. Pray for them and their families.
Original post by barnetlad
Many children across the world make their first Holy Communion this month- fifty in my parish alone. Pray for them and their families.

Will do for sure. Also prayers for those making their confirmation this month or next month (I think some places have it in June?) :yep:
One of my confirmation students bought me a lovely bunch of flowers to say thank you for being his catechist!!! :colondollar: :love: :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending